Author Topic: Fidel Castro Resigns Cuban Presidency  (Read 6108 times)

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
Fidel Castro Resigns Cuban Presidency
« on: February 19, 2008, 02:56:46 AM »
Fidel Castro Resigns Cuban Presidency 

Feb 19 03:43 AM US/Eastern
By ANITA SNOW
Associated Press Writer

HAVANA (AP) - Ailing leader Fidel Castro resigned as Cuba's president early Tuesday after nearly a half-century in power, saying in a letter published in online official media that he would not accept a new term when the newly elected parliament meets on Sunday.
"I will not aspire nor accept—I repeat I will not aspire or accept—the post of President of the Council of State and Commander in Chief," read the letter signed by Castro and published quietly overnight without advance warning in the online edition of the Communist Party daily Granma.

The new National Assembly is meeting Sunday for first time since January elections to pick the governing Council of State, including the presidency Castro holds. There had been wide speculation about whether he would accept a nomination for re-election to that post or retire.

The 81-year-old Castro's overnight announcement effectively ends his rule of almost 50 years over Cuba, positioning his 76-year-old brother Raul for permanent succession to the presidency.

The Rest of the Story
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Duke Nukum

Re: Fidel Castro Resigns Cuban Presidency
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 03:03:10 AM »
I checked DUmmie Land to see if they had any interesting camp fires going but not really.  Not yet.  Just fears that Dubya will take credit for Castro's resignation.

As for the story itself,  I don't like to speak ill of the dead and Castro has been dead for a very long time.  Beside which, Raul is in charge and so nothing really changed, as far as I know, Raul has been in charge since the doctors botched Castro's intestine operation.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Sonnabend

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 05:35:48 AM »
Same dictator,same name, same tune, same tragedy.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 07:12:38 AM »
I checked DUmmie Land to see if they had any interesting camp fires going but not really.  Not yet.  Just fears that Dubya will take credit for Castro's resignation.

As for the story itself,  I don't like to speak ill of the dead and Castro has been dead for a very long time.  Beside which, Raul is in charge and so nothing really changed, as far as I know, Raul has been in charge since the doctors botched Castro's intestine operation.
Well, maybe drronpaul can help out down there.   :-)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 08:26:30 AM »
Anyone who expects anything will change in Cuba, go ahead and applaud...<crickets chirping>
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 08:58:08 AM »

we're trading groucho for harpo.  I don't see much of a difference.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 09:43:30 AM »
Nice to see him step down, but as others have already said, Raul isn't an improvement.  It will be the same.  :whatever:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 10:00:43 AM »
SSDD

Same Shit - Different Dictator
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline SilverOrchid

• Proud momma of two little belles!
  • California Conservative-Yes, we exist!
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 11:13:14 AM »
I thought his brother was less hostile to America then Castro.  :confused: Is there really no difference?

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 11:28:47 AM »
Ha Ha!  After nine other administrations tried, all It took was a  President George W. Bush to finally end Castro's reign of terror. 

God Bless President George W. Bush! 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 12:07:49 PM »
I thought his brother was less hostile to America then Castro.  :confused: Is there really no difference?

He may be less outspoken, but his politics are the same, from what I understand. 

Offline SilverOrchid

• Proud momma of two little belles!
  • California Conservative-Yes, we exist!
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 01:49:19 PM »

He may be less outspoken, but his politics are the same, from what I understand. 

Well, damn. I was hoping something postive was to come of this. :(

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 12:42:03 AM »
Goodbye, Mister Commie Dictatorman!

I've always heard that Fidel was the idea man but Raul was more pragmatic, more operative than visionairy, and that the little brother was the dominant of the two. I don't expect to see much "reform" there until Raul is gone as well.

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 12:48:40 AM »

Well, damn. I was hoping something postive was to come of this. :(
Well, if I get rich enough before the Castros kick off, I plan on buying the Island and kicking everyone off of it and turning it into my own personal Earthly Paradise.

I'll invite you guys, of course, but mostly it's just going to be a giant tribute to my giant ego.  I can't think of anything more postive.  I'm thinking of calling it Nukum Land.
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline JohnMatrix

• admirer of Sir Edward Tylor
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 01:45:05 AM »
Goodbye, Mister Commie Dictatorman!

I've always heard that Fidel was the idea man but Raul was more pragmatic, more operative than visionairy, and that the little brother was the dominant of the two. I don't expect to see much "reform" there until Raul is gone as well.

why do you think reform will happen even after Raul is gone?
LadyLiberty does not like my mother because I speak Spanish to her in public.

yes snuggly bunny, i voted for RON PAUL.

Mr.Mann is obsessed with me.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 06:02:38 AM »

Why do you think it won't?
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Lisa

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 07:43:57 AM »

Totally agree, he's been dead since last year. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Although, I'm not so sure the operation was botched. He was old, in bad health and ****ed up. He may have just croaked on the table or not long afterwards.

Offline JohnMatrix

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 04:58:26 PM »

Why do you think it won't?

because someone will just fill the power vaccuum, its just the way things go in Latin America.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 05:40:16 PM »

because someone will just fill the power vaccuum, its just the way things go in Latin America.

Tell that to the countries in Central and South America that are not Communist dictatorships Mexico...Columbia...Brazil...Honduras...et. al.

They'd have serious problems with your ill informed broadbrush.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline JohnMatrix

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2008, 09:10:12 PM »

Tell that to the countries in Central and South America that are not Communist dictatorships Mexico...Columbia...Brazil...Honduras...et. al.

They'd have serious problems with your ill informed broadbrush.

true they are not communist dictator ships, but they are dictatorships.  I realize the ones you listed have some kind of parliamentary system, but those guys are just bought out by whoever is in charge.  They might as well be called dictatorships.  The guys with money control everything in those countries.  (brazil isn't included in latin america)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 09:41:12 PM by JohnMatrix »

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2008, 09:30:45 PM »

true they are not communist dictator ships, but they are dictatorships.

Coulmbia is a Dictatorship?

You need to study your country profiles a little closer:

Government: Under 1886 Constitution, executive, legislative, and judicial branches established with separation of powers and with checks and balances; nonetheless, executive retained strong policy-making authority. Chief executive is president of republic, elected by direct popular vote for four-year term and constitutionally probibited from seeking consecutive terms. Legislative authority vested in bicameral Congress consisting of 114-member Senate and 199-member House of Representatives. Congress popularly elected for four-year term. Judiciary consists of twenty-four-member Supreme Court; various district superior, circuit, municipal, and lower courts; and Council of State. In addition to national government, Colombia divided into twenty-three departments, four intendancies, and five commisaryships.

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?frd/cstdy:@field(DOCID+co0009)

Same applies for the Democratic Constitutional Republic of Honduras:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ho.html#Govt

And the Republic of Mexico:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/mx.html#Govt

The guys with money control everything in those countries.  (brazil isn't included in latin america)

And Cuba isn't considered part of latin America...it's part of the Caribbean

You've got a  zero for your lifetime right batting average when it comes to factual information right now.

Offline JohnMatrix

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2008, 09:43:07 PM »

Coulmbia is a Dictatorship?

You need to study your country profiles a little closer:

Government: Under 1886 Constitution, executive, legislative, and judicial branches established with separation of powers and with checks and balances; nonetheless, executive retained strong policy-making authority. Chief executive is president of republic, elected by direct popular vote for four-year term and constitutionally probibited from seeking consecutive terms. Legislative authority vested in bicameral Congress consisting of 114-member Senate and 199-member House of Representatives. Congress popularly elected for four-year term. Judiciary consists of twenty-four-member Supreme Court; various district superior, circuit, municipal, and lower courts; and Council of State. In addition to national government, Colombia divided into twenty-three departments, four intendancies, and five commisaryships.

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?frd/cstdy:@field(DOCID+co0009)

Same applies for the Democratic Constitutional Republic of Honduras:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ho.html#Govt

And the Republic of Mexico:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/mx.html#Govt

The guys with money control everything in those countries.  (brazil isn't included in latin america)

And Cuba isn't considered part of latin America...it's part of the Caribbean

You've got a  zero for your lifetime right batting average when it comes to factual information right now.

yes, as i said in my post above, I realize they have some kind of parliamentary system, but since corruption is so rampant, they are bought out so that whoever is in charge can do what he wants.  And yes, cuba is is in latin america, and so is brazil (I was mistaken in my previous post)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 06:54:19 AM »
yes, as i said in my post above, I realize they have some kind of parliamentary system, but since corruption is so rampant, they are bought out so that whoever is in charge can do what he wants.  And yes, cuba is is in latin america, and so is brazil (I was mistaken in my previous post)

No here is what you said:

Again you're fatucally incorrect.  And what you are claiming you said and what you DID say aren't even close.

So continuing on with the disturbing trend you started at another board...you wouldn't know the facts if they smacked you in the head.

Offline JohnMatrix

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 02:28:23 PM »

No here is what you said:

Again you're fatucally incorrect.  And what you are claiming you said and what you DID say aren't even close.

So continuing on with the disturbing trend you started at another board...you wouldn't know the facts if they smacked you in the head.

and here is the rest of my post that you so cheerfully left out:

...I realize the ones you listed have some kind of parliamentary system, but those guys are just bought out by whoever is in charge.  They might as well be called dictatorships.  The guys with money control everything in those countries.  (brazil isn't included in latin america)