Author Topic: McCain says early withdrawal from Iraq would mean 'genocide'  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Lauri

McCain says early withdrawal from Iraq would mean 'genocide'
« on: February 15, 2008, 10:45:36 AM »

McCain says early withdrawal from Iraq would mean 'genocide' 

Feb 15 09:50 AM US/Eastern
 3 Comments         

View larger image

Republican frontrunner John McCain drew sharp distinctions with his Democratic White House rivals over Iraq, saying an untimely US withdrawal would bring about "genocide."
In an interview with CNN, the presumptive Republican nominee for president slammed Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, who have said they would begin withdrawing troops from Iraq in their first months in the White House.

"Both Senator Obama and Clinton want to set a date for withdrawal. That means chaos. That means genocide," the 71-year-old Arizona senator told CNN's Larry King late Thursday.

"That means undoing all the success we've achieved, and Al-Qaeda tells the world they defeated the United States of America. I won't let that happen, as president of the United States."

Long a fervent advocate of the surge policy in Iraq, McCain praised Defense Secretary Robert Gates and called the commander of US forces in Iraq, General David Petraeus, "one of the great generals in American military history."

He might even ask Gates to stay on at the Pentagon if he is elected president, McCain hinted.

"I'll tell you, I don't know if he would stay on, or if I would even ask him or something like that, but I'm very pleased, as I think most Americans are, at the performance of Secretary Gates. I think he's done a very fine job," McCain said.

McCain, a sharp critic of Gates, predecessor Donald Rumsfeld and his handling of the war, said the current strategy with far more troops on the ground is succeeding.

"It's a strategy we should have employed from the beginning," he said.

"And neither Senator Obama nor Senator Clinton had any experience of knowledge to know that this surge would succeed," charged McCain, a Vietnam War hero and former prisoner of war.

He said Americans were "frustrated and saddened" by the sacrifices of war but that the consequences of failure were untenable.

"Look, don't listen to me. Listen to Al-Qaeda. They're the ones that say that their goal is the United States of America. And victory in Iraq is a stepping stone to that."

Clinton has said she would start withdrawing troops within 60 days of becoming president. Obama says he would have all US combat brigades out of Iraq within 16 months.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080215145036.p9d86kfp&show_article=1

Offline Lauri

Re: McCain says early withdrawal from Iraq would mean 'genocide'
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 10:48:50 AM »
maybe people still wont like McCain, but he has been consistent on the war; he gets it. Hilary and Obama? Not so much..

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 10:58:23 AM »
Hillary is now saying withdrawl in 60 days from taking office....ugh.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Lauri

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 01:08:28 PM »

McCain needs to draw a very clear picture about what will happen in that region if she does. All he has to use as an example is what happened to the slaughter that occurred after we left Vietnam. What was the final number? Something like 3 million Cambodians were killed?

He needs to highlight that fact and keep harping on how that is not acceptable. And if Hil thinks people hate the US now - what about when she pulls out? She aint seen nothing yet.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 05:27:29 AM »
The quickest way for dems to support Iraq would be for Rush or someone to say, "Genocide, schmenocide...at least they aren't white."
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 05:06:59 PM »
maybe people still wont like McCain, but he has been consistent on the war; he gets it. Hilary and Obama? Not so much..

That is the reason I will pull the lever for him in Nov.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 05:27:46 PM »

Ask her when the troops her husband committed for that "humanitarian mission" in the Balkans are coming home.   Perhaps she should work on that first.