Author Topic: Contacting Ford Motor Company  (Read 18397 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Contacting Ford Motor Company
« on: January 29, 2008, 11:25:37 AM »
I'm having some trouble with a Ford dealership in southeast Georgia. I've been trying to get in touch with someone with the Ford Motor Company to get some help. Thus far I have had no success. I've been trying to find a contact number for a regional manager but haven't had any success with that either.

Does anyone have any advice?

By the way, contacting Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center is as productive as screaming "move!" to a rock.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Flame

Re: Contacting Ford Motor Company
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 11:28:54 AM »
My husband is the master at getting in touch with "people who matter".

Call customer service, and ask for contact info for the CEO...keep going up the chain until you get the answer you want, or get the CEO's contact info.  At least that's what he does.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 12:02:09 PM »
I'm having some trouble with a Ford dealership in southeast Georgia. I've been trying to get in touch with someone with the Ford Motor Company to get some help. Thus far I have had no success. I've been trying to find a contact number for a regional manager but haven't had any success with that either.

Does anyone have any advice?

By the way, contacting Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center is as productive as screaming "move!" to a rock.

Have you looked in your owners manual? The last time I had a problem with my Toyota, I asked or found out the District Service Manager phone number who regularly goes to each dealership every month or so. Every mfg. has one and I think he is your best bet rather than contacting the national office. Also, your manual will give you info on your states lemon laws and how to proceed if it comes to that. Good luck. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 12:08:20 PM by Lacarnut »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 06:38:23 PM »
Thanks Lacernut, but I'm not really having a mechanical problem. I'm having more of what I guess you would call a "laziness" problem.

My wife helped a nephew buy a truck in 2005. It was co-titled to them. She wasn't just a co-signer. In October of this year he decided to trade the truck. The Ford dealership allowed him to do so without getting my wife's signature. This, however, is not really the complaint.

The main complaint is that it has now been 90 days and they still don't have the boy a tag. They keep giving him temporary tags. From what I've been able to find, according to Ga law this is illegal. Also, according to the Ga DMV the trade-in vehicle, which has supposedly already been sold, is still showing up in their (the DMV) computer records as being in my wife's name.

In trying to help the nephew my wife has spoken to the sales person and gotten the run around. She has spoken with the dealership's finance manager and gotten the run around. She has spoken to the dealership's general manager and gotten the run around. She finally called the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center and once more got the run around.

An attorney friend suggested speaking with a regional manager; however, Ford apparently hides their regional managers very well. She finally got someone at Ford to tell her that the only way to speak to a regional manager is to call the dealership in question and have them get the regional manager to call her.

Of course according to another Ford employee at the Customer Relationship Center, Ford doesn't really have regional managers. So who knows.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 06:43:38 PM »
Thanks Lacernut, but I'm not really having a mechanical problem. I'm having more of what I guess you would call a "laziness" problem.

My wife helped a nephew buy a truck in 2005. It was co-titled to them. She wasn't just a co-signer. In October of this year he decided to trade the truck. The Ford dealership allowed him to do so without getting my wife's signature. This, however, is not really the complaint.

The main complaint is that it has now been 90 days and they still don't have the boy a tag. They keep giving him temporary tags. From what I've been able to find, according to Ga law this is illegal. Also, according to the Ga DMV the trade-in vehicle, which has supposedly already been sold, is still showing up in their (the DMV) computer records as being in my wife's name.

In trying to help the nephew my wife has spoken to the sales person and gotten the run around. She has spoken with the dealership's finance manager and gotten the run around. She has spoken to the dealership's general manager and gotten the run around. She finally called the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center and once more got the run around.

An attorney friend suggested speaking with a regional manager; however, Ford apparently hides their regional managers very well. She finally got someone at Ford to tell her that the only way to speak to a regional manager is to call the dealership in question and have them get the regional manager to call her.

Of course according to another Ford employee at the Customer Relationship Center, Ford doesn't really have regional managers. So who knows.

Go there personally. Be firm, yet polite.  And don't leave until the problem is handled to your satisfaction.

Phone calls are easy to ignore.  Clearly pissed-off people standing in front of all them 5-digit priced cars is a whole different matter.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 06:46:36 PM »

What exactly are they saying is the problem getting tags?  Did he finance his new vehicle with Ford?  Has it been funded by Ford credit?  Is it her lack of signature (which it could be, she needs to sign the title over)?  Did he buy a new or a pre-owned vehicle?  Have you spoken with their title clerk?
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 06:48:49 PM »
freedumb, she's actually tried a face to face with the sales person, the finance manager, and the general manager. They claim that they can no longer speak with her because she mentioned that an attorney has told her that they can't do what they are doing.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 06:53:47 PM »
Miss Mia, the vehicle that he traded for was used. As to the reason for the hold up, there has been a few different stories. Supposedly the previous owner somehow had two loans on the truck. Both were with Ford Credit. One of the stories was that they needed the previous owner to sign some papers. One story was that they didn't find out about the second loan until after the fact. One story was that they were having problems getting Ford Credit to send them the info but it would be here in 48 hours (which was said about 168 hours ago).

At this dealership, from what I understand, the title clerk and the finance manager is the same person at this time.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 06:57:02 PM »
freedumb, she's actually tried a face to face with the sales person, the finance manager, and the general manager. They claim that they can no longer speak with her because she mentioned that an attorney has told her that they can't do what they are doing.
Major-league oops.  Pay the lawyer $25 for a demand (of execution) letter on his letterhead.

Also, get the local paper or TV station involved.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 06:58:58 PM »
Miss Mia, the vehicle that he traded for was used. As to the reason for the hold up, there has been a few different stories. Supposedly the previous owner somehow had two loans on the truck. Both were with Ford Credit. One of the stories was that they needed the previous owner to sign some papers. One story was that they didn't find out about the second loan until after the fact. One story was that they were having problems getting Ford Credit to send them the info but it would be here in 48 hours (which was said about 168 hours ago).

At this dealership, from what I understand, the title clerk and the finance manager is the same person at this time.

Hum strange indeed.  That just doesn't make sense really, at least to me (or it's bad business).  If the previous owner's deal hadn't been funded, they shouldn't have sold his trade.

And they sold the truck your nephew traded it?  You can always play hard ball at this point.  Take the vehicle up there and say you don't want it because it can't be registered or plated in his name and demand your money back plus the trade. 

Was the vehicle financed?  You could try contacting the financing company, especially if he financed with Ford Credit.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 07:04:46 PM »

Hum strange indeed.  That just doesn't make sense really, at least to me (or it's bad business).  If the previous owner's deal hadn't been funded, they shouldn't have sold his trade.

And they sold the truck your nephew traded it?  You can always play hard ball at this point.  Take the vehicle up there and say you don't want it because it can't be registered or plated in his name and demand your money back plus the trade. 

Was the vehicle financed?  You could try contacting the financing company, especially if he financed with Ford Credit.

I doesn't make much sense to me either. As far as playing hard ball, my wife has spent the last day or so debating doing exactly what you suggest.

I hadn't thought about contacting the finance company. I'll see if she wants to try that tomorrow.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 07:07:03 PM »
Major-league oops.  Pay the lawyer $25 for a demand (of execution) letter on his letterhead.

Also, get the local paper or TV station involved.

She's supposed to be talking to an attorney tomorrow. With my job I get to deal with attorneys all the time. Some times that comes in handy.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 07:16:11 PM »
She's supposed to be talking to an attorney tomorrow. With my job I get to deal with attorneys all the time. Some times that comes in handy.

Let me know what happens.  He shouldn't be paying for a car that he can't get registered or plated. 
Stink Eye

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 07:22:09 PM »
I'd start here:

Office of the Attorney General
40 Capitol Square, SW
Atlanta, Ga 30334

Phone: (404) 656-3300

Fax: (404) 657-8733

http://law.ga.gov/00/channel_title/0,2094,87670814_87670955,00.html
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline RightCoast

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 07:24:03 PM »
I just don't think you have a "ford" problem, sounds like a title issue and the dealer is blaming ford credit in an attempt to keep you from blaming them for what appears to be their screw-up.
nine eleven is a car

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 07:26:14 PM »
Also wanted to add, the fact that he can't get plated/registration, that Ford dealership is in breach of contract. 
Stink Eye

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 07:45:20 PM »

In Louisiana, we have a Used Car Commission that would investigate questionable activities like you have described. These state employees are located in most med. to large cities. I would contact them because the dealership might get motivated to settle this matter. Another avenue you might consider is to ask the District Attorney to help you. I did that and got my car fixed correctly. The D.A was a friend so that helped.

Sounds like the title clerk is a bumbling idiot cause two vehicles are screwed up not just one. Question: does your wife's nephew have the orginal title to the car he purchased? My guess is no.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 08:00:45 PM »

In Louisiana, we have a Used Car Commission that would investigate questionable activities like you have described. These state employees are located in most med. to large cities. I would contact them because the dealership might get motivated to settle this matter. Another avenue you might consider is to ask the District Attorney to help you. I did that and got my car fixed correctly. The D.A was a friend so that helped.

Sounds like the title clerk is a bumbling idiot cause two vehicles are screwed up not just one. Question: does your wife's nephew have the orginal title to the car he purchased? My guess is no.

He more than likely gave it to the dealership when he traded the vehicle in.  I'm surprised they didn't get the co-signer to sign it.  Very strange.
Stink Eye

Offline RightCoast

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 08:34:26 PM »
After thinking about this for a few minutes let me see if I can sum it up.

car 1 was traded for car 2, but dealer didn't do paperwork on car 2 properly leaving your wife's name on.  Then car 2 can't be registered meaning *I think* that the dealer sold it to your nephew w/o a clear title - illegal in every state iirc.  I will assume that your nephew hasn't received a bill yet - if he has you may have some minor recourse with them, however, the main culprit appears to be the dealer.  Sounds like the dealer got burned on car 2, it does happen - though I seriously doubt there was two Ford motor credit loans on the same car. 

If you have an attorney get him/ her involved.  If not go though the attorney generals office as well as better business bureau and the dept of driver services.  Also make sure your wife has no additional legal or financial liability on car 1.
nine eleven is a car

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 08:36:32 PM »
Also wanted to add, the fact that he can't get plated/registration, that Ford dealership is in breach of contract. 

Plus, what did the dealership do with the sales tax (if any)? If the dealership will not get it straightened out, your best bet is to see what state agency regulates used car sales. Getting a lawyer involed should be your last resort. Also, it would bother me to no end if the vehicle that was traded in is still in my wife's name. You need to get that straight pronto.  

Offline Chris_

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2008, 08:56:33 PM »
RightCoast, thanks for the Attorney General tip. I hadn't thought of that. As for not having a "ford" problem, I would have agreed initially, but after my wife spent an unsuccessful four hours trying to get even the most basic help from Ford Motor Company I feel pretty comfortable adding the whole operation into the problem category.

Lacarnut, I believe someone at the state department of revenue suggested calling the licensing board. She tried calling them around 3:00 this afternoon and couldn't get an answer. She says she will try them again tomorrow. Oh, and the nephew does not have the original title.

RightCoast, car 1 was traded. That is the one my wife's name was on and still is as far as the state of Georgia is concerned (as of today atleast). Her name is not on car 2, but the dealer did apparently sell it without clear title. The nephew has been making payments on car 2, but here is the good part. He had the payments on car 1 (the original vehicle) coming out of his bank account as an automatic draft. They were still drafting his account 2 months after he traded the car. He was finally able to get all but $50 of that money back. I don't know what happened to the other $50.

For the record, except for digging up phone numbers for my wife on the net I've tried to stay out of this because it is her sister's son, but the time appears to be drawing near for me to make a visit to the dealership. After all, I haven't said the word "attorney" to them yet.

Frankly the entire situation has me somewhat confused. I've traded and purchased many vehicles over the last 20 years and have never encountered any thing like this before.

It has been good talking to you guys about this, and I do appreciate all of the suggestions. I'll try to give an update tomorrow afternoon.

Offline RightCoast

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2008, 09:02:49 PM »
Sounds like the dealer got burned on the title to car 2 and has given your wife and nephew the run-around trying to stall until they get the title.  If you stop by the dealer ask for the general manager and/ or owner, the salesperson, business manager and even sales manager are useless at this point.  If you can't get it resolved on that visit start the complaint process with the AG, that'll speed things up.

GOOD LUCK!
nine eleven is a car

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2008, 09:12:40 PM »
Sounds like the dealer got burned on the title to car 2 and has given your wife and nephew the run-around trying to stall until they get the title.  If you stop by the dealer ask for the general manager and/ or owner, the salesperson, business manager and even sales manager are useless at this point.  If you can't get it resolved on that visit start the complaint process with the AG, that'll speed things up.

GOOD LUCK!

Don't talk to a sales person or finance manager, go straight to the GM.

Quote from: ChuckJ
Frankly the entire situation has me somewhat confused. I've traded and purchased many vehicles over the last 20 years and have never encountered any thing like this before.

I've worked at a dealership for almost 4 years now, and I've never heard of anything like this. 

It does sound like they jumped the gun on selling the vehicle without the title in hand.  And that's just fishy about the 2 loans. 
Stink Eye

Offline Chris_

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2008, 10:33:02 AM »
Thought I'd give a quick update. My wife called the state licensing board first. They told her that all they could do was tell her the law. Then she called the Attorney General's office. They told her that they couldn't really help her unless she had an attorney which I find strange.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2008, 10:48:57 AM »
Time for an Executive Email Carpet Bomb.

http://consumerist.com/consumer/complaint-letters/how-to-launch-an-executive-email-carpet-bomb-259713.php

I'm not certain who you need to address it to, but this tactic works brilliantly. Even with govt agencies. Perhaps the dealership owner??? The finance company?? I would also CC your local newspaper or TV channel's consumer advocacy group if you don't get a reply. I would then go make some noise inside the dealership and loudly drop my keys and tell them you want your money back.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle