Author Topic: Stories & Opinions Worth Knowing but Maybe Not Quite Threadworthy 9/27  (Read 836 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Panda diplomacy no more: China calls back its pandas from U.S. zoos

https://hotair.com//karen-townsend/2023/09/27/panda-diplomacy-no-more-china-calls-back-its-pandas-from-u-s-zoos-n580701?bcid=d519b945f8a32ba161895b1c7231c16c5fa3cd48222b27fc1e013476354174f9

The pandas are going home to China. A nine-day “Panda Palooza” to celebrate the bears before they leave is underway at the National Zoo in Washington, D.C.

The pandas will be returned to Chinese conservationists by December 7. The pandas have been on loan from them and the cost of the agreement with the National Zoo is about $1 million per year since 2000. It’s China’s global soft and fuzzy outreach – panda diplomacy. The panda cubs born in Washington go back to China, too. Perhaps now is when the separation is being called because of the tension in the relationship between China and the U.S. There are pandas on loan to zoos around the United States and they will all go back to China.

This leaves zoos scrambling to fill the gap that will be left by an absence of the giant pandas. Many zoo visitors come specifically to see the giant pandas.

A spokesman for the Chinese embassy in Washington said teams from the U.S. and China were in talks about future work on giant panda conservation and research.

David Rubenstein, the billionaire co-founder of the Carlyle Group, has donated millions to support the pandas, endowing the zoo’s panda habitat. He thinks an agreement for new pandas would be good for the zoo—and for geopolitical stability.

“It’s not overnight going to resolve all U.S.-China problems but it would obviously be one less issue to be dealt with,” he said in an interview.

We can thank then-First Lady Patricia Nixon for the arrival of panda bears in America.

Pandas first arrived at the National Zoo during a fuzzier period in great power relations. Traveling with her husband in China in 1972, then-First Lady Patricia Nixon was taken with the pandas at the Beijing zoo. Zhou Enlai, then the premier of China, promised her “I’ll give you some,” and in return for two pandas, the U.S. gifted China two musk oxen, launching one of the most consequential trading relationships in the world.

The Nixon administration selected Washington to host the original pair of bears, named Hsing-Hsing and Ling-Ling. “I think panda-monium is going to break out right here at the zoo,” Mrs. Nixon said upon their arrival.

The relationship between the United States and China is tense. Pandas at other zoos in the United States are being sent home, too. Three cubs previously born on U.S. soil, products of artificial insemination, have already been sent back to China. Other pandas at other zoos around the U.S. have also recently been sent home. Rep. Nancy Mace (R-S.C.) has legislation to keep panda cubs born in the United States here.

It looks like the pandas will be sent back to China via FedEx. A logistics company will provide a plane to transport the three pandas at the National Zoo. It’s a 16-hour flight. A veterinarian and the animals’ handlers will accompany them on the flight. “As long as they have bamboo,” said Michael Brown-Palsgrove, the zoo’s curator of giant pandas, “they actually do really pretty well on a trip like that.”

During the days of “Panda Palooza”, the Chinese Embassy in Washington will provide panda-themed film screenings, concerts, lectures, yoga, arts and crafts activities, and “tasty celebratory treats.”

The zoo is operated by the Smithsonian Institute so it receives federal funding. It will be forced to close to the public if a government shutdown happens. That would cut a day off the panda celebration activities. And, the popular “Panda Cam” would go dark.

Initially, the pandas were under a cooperative research and breeding agreement with the China Wildlife Conservation Association. Arriving in 2000, that meant the original agreement was up in 2010. The agreement has been renewed three times since 2010.

It hasn’t been announced if the zoo will seek to acquire more pandas in the future.

There is only one viable response to this bit of "news". A short 1:42 clip, but if you're short on time, start at the 1 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ugkxKBU73o (NSFW - language warning)
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Stories & Opinions Worth Knowing but Maybe Not Quite Threadworthy 9/27
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 01:33:58 PM »
Pentagon: Yes, our official was an Iranian envoy. What of it?

https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2023/09/27/pentagon-yes-our-official-was-an-iranian-envoy-what-of-it-n580731

One of the unsung anti-heroes of the Biden administration’s disastrous, failed effort to restart the Obama-era Iran nuclear deal was Robert Malley. He was Biden’s point man in the negotiations with Tehran that eventually collapsed in the face of Iran’s continually escalating demands. Malley reportedly walked into the negotiations offering Iran so many concessions up front that they couldn’t believe their eyes. Taking that as the United States’ “starting position,” they thought they could ask for the moon and proceeded to do so. But now, thanks to some leaked Iranian documents revealed by Jay Solomon at Semafor, we’ve learned that three of Malley’s top aides were covertly working as influencers on behalf of Iran. And these were the people supposedly structuring the negotiations on our behalf? You would think heads would already be rolling, but at least thus far, the Pentagon doesn’t even want to comment on the matter. (Free Beacon)

The Pentagon isn’t saying whether it is concerned, or plans to take any action, over a report Tuesday alleging that a senior Defense Department official is part of an Iranian influence network.

The report from Semafor, based on emails from senior Iranian officials, detailed a vast communications network, known as the Iran Experts Initiative, linked to the hardline regime in Tehran. That network, the emails suggest, includes the Pentagon official Ariane Tabatabai as well as other “influential overseas academics” who reported to Iran’s foreign ministry and helped push Tehran’s talking points with American policymakers. The existence of this network was outlined in a cache of Iranian government documents reviewed by Semafor.

Tabatabai, who required a security clearance for her Pentagon job, and two others affiliated with the influence campaign also served as aides to Biden administration Iran envoy Robert Malley, who was suspended from his post earlier this year for allegedly mishandling classified information. It is unclear whether Malley’s suspension is related to his connection to the Iranian influence network documented in the Semafor report.

You can read the full report from Semafor here. It’s a lot to go through, but the details paint a very twisted picture of international intrigue. The Iranians set up a prodigious international influence network called the Iran Experts Initiative. Through that group, they enlisted influential people in Europe and the United States who would write op-eds favorable to the Iranian regime and support policies arguing in favor of allowing Iran to pursue its “peaceful” nuclear power program.

Ariane Tabatabai, who still works at the Pentagon, was one of three people on the Iran Experts Initiative List who wound up working as aides to Robert Malley. So if you were wondering how the Biden administration wound up offering such a generous deal to the Iranians only to have it thrown back in their faces, this might go a long way toward explaining it. Tabatabai was also, perhaps unsurprisingly, no fan of Israel. In one of the uncovered emails, she complains about the Israelis “spreading misinformation” when engaging with Saudi Arabia. As for Malley, he was suspended from his position earlier this year after his security clearance was yanked for allegedly mishandling classified information.

Curiously, the Pentagon has had very little to say about these revelations. But yesterday, State Department spokesman Matthew Miller dismissed the report, telling reporters that it was based on information “from almost a decade ago.” That may be true for much of it, but the situation between the United States and Iran is still a shambles today. And Tabatabai is still on the payroll. Do we really want a documented Iranian influence peddler handling our affairs at the Pentagon? Miller also said that the situation “isn’t raising red flags” inside the Biden administration. Seriously?

In 2021, Tabatabai was tapped for a position in Biden’s State Department. The GOP raised plenty of “red flags” at the time and argued that her ties to the Iranian regime should disqualify her from having a Top Secret security clearance. The Biden administration dismissed these concerns as “racist smears” and ignored the objections, despite the fact that her father was considered a member of Hassan Rouhani’s inner circle.

Republican Congressman Jim Banks summed up the situation nicely. He said, “A high-level official at the Biden Defense Department was briefing Iran’s foreign ministry and ghostwriting essays for the world’s leading state sponsor of terrorism. Congress needs to investigate any communications between Ariane Tabatabai and the Iranian regime since Biden took office [and] the Pentagon must review Ms. Tabatatai’s security clearance.”

What in the Sam Hill is going on with the Biden administration? Why are we so much nicer to our nation’s adversaries than we are to our supposed allies? I could take a guess, but I’ll leave that question to the readers’ imaginations.

We've seen a lot of crap from the FBI, CIA, DOJ, DOE, and Homeland Security. Not nearly enough scrutiny on the big elephant in the room, DoD, Home of the Wokesters, Champion of Marine Corps Drag Shows, and Payor of Travel and Leave from Those Seeking Abortion on Demand.

So the Repubs in the Senate shitcan Ariane Tabatabai for her seeking a gig in the State Department, so she scuttles over to DoD (no Senate confirmation needed there, apparently) and immediately starts work aiding and abetting the enemy.

Got it.  :whatever:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 08:22:54 PM »
Philadelphia swarmed by alleged juvenile looters targeting the Apple Store, Lululemon, Footlocker and others
https://www.foxnews.com/us/philadelphia-swarmed-alleged-juvenile-looters-targeting-apple-store-lululemon-footlocker-others

Philadelphia police responded to popular retailers like the Apple Store, Lululemon and Footlocker after they were allegedly being ravaged by swarms of looters taking over the City of Brotherly Love Tuesday evening.

At about 8 p.m. Tuesday, police responded to reports of large crowds of juveniles allegedly looting stores in the Center City business corridor of the 9th District.

"In a proactive measure, officers from the 9th District stopped a group of males dressed in black attire and wearing masks at the intersection of 17th and Chestnut Streets," a police spokesperson said in a statement to Fox News Digital.

As of midnight on Wednesday, police confirmed between 15 and 20 people were arrested during the looting and at least two firearms were recovered.

So much looting in Philly.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2023, 08:24:05 PM »
Lego Abandons One of Its Research Projects Focused on Making “Oil-Free Bricks”
https://legalinsurrection.com/2023/09/lego-abandons-one-of-its-research-projects-focused-on-making-oil-free-bricks/

Fossil fuels are essential to modern life, as they are used to make plastics.

Legos are one of the most ubiquitous plastics found in American homes with kids. My son had boxes and boxes of Legos as a child. Building the “Avatar Last Airbender Fire Nation Ship” together was one of the most traumatic experiences I had mothering. I glued that ship together because I would never build it again.

It turns out the makers of Legos have learned their own valuable lesson…about allowing corporate-level wokesters to make important manufacturing decisions.

Danish Toymaker Lego has abandoned its most high-profile effort to ditch oil-based plastics from its bricks after finding that its new material led to higher carbon emissions, the Financial Times reported on Sunday.

Lego found that bricks made from recycled polyethylene terephthalate (RPET), would lead to higher carbon emissions.

“We tested hundreds and hundreds of materials. It’s just not been possible to find a material like that,” Lego Chief Executive Niels Christiansen told the Financial times.

Lego tried oil free bricks. Guess what? It led to higher carbon emissions. Quixotic.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2023, 08:45:34 PM »

We can thank then-First Lady Patricia Nixon for the arrival of panda bears in America.

Thanks, Pat... for nothing, basically.  They're pretty boring.  They sit-around, climb, fall, and eat.  Show's over.  Drive safely.

I felt the same way about Mao, come to think of it. 

Offline SVPete

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2023, 09:43:47 AM »
Polyethylene terephthalate is more commonly known as polyester (also by trade name Mylar). It's a very useful plastic. Lego learned that the very common plastic it has been using for decades, ABS, is more durable as well as the processing using less energy. Back when rotary phones ruled homes and business desktops, AT&T also found that ABS is very durable. Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1doQlRIBF0o&t=5s
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2023, 10:48:36 AM »
Philadelphia swarmed by alleged juvenile looters targeting the Apple Store, Lululemon, Footlocker and others
https://www.foxnews.com/us/philadelphia-swarmed-alleged-juvenile-looters-targeting-apple-store-lululemon-footlocker-others

So much looting in Philly.

The simple solution is 12 gage with double ought buck. Take out a few and they will learn that looting is unacceptable behavior.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2023, 08:49:25 PM »
Alleged Philadelphia looter 'Meatball' who livestreamed downtown chaos, 'traumatized' after release on bail
https://www.foxnews.com/us/alleged-philadelphia-looter-meatball-livestreamed-downtown-chaos-traumatized-after-release-bail

A Philadelphia social media influencer, who quickly became the face of the smash-and-grab robberies that plagued the city of Brotherly Love, said that she was "traumatized" after being arrested for her involvement in the robberies.

"I just want to say thanks to everybody that ya know cared for me. Ain't nothing never been nothing," Dayjia Blackwell, who is known on social media as "Meatball," said in an Instagram story. "I ain't done anything like this in my life."

Blackwell, who streamed the chaotic night of looting Tuesday night to her nearly 200,000 Instagram followers, told followers that she was "traumatized" after being arrested.

'I've never been through nothing like that ever in my life, I don't even know what happened. I need some sleep, I'm scared, I'm traumatized, never again in my live, like seriously,' said Blackwell.

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du