Author Topic: Hawaii wildfires latest: At least 36 dead as historic town Lahaina burns to the  (Read 234 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://www.yahoo.com/news/hawaii-wildfires-latest-dead-historic-town-lahaina-111019763.html

Hawaii wildfires latest: At least 36 dead as historic town Lahaina burns to the ground

At least 36 people have been confirmed dead after windswept wildfires ravaged parts of Hawaii’s Big Island and neighboring Maui. The fires, which began on Tuesday, destroyed swathes of land forcing residents from their businesses and homes. According to officials, thousands of people have been displaced.

What’s the latest?
On Wednesday evening, Maui County officials said 36 people were discovered amid the “active fire” in the historic town of Lahaina. “We are still in a search and rescue mode, so I don’t know what will happen to that number,” Maui County Mayor Richard Bissen Jr. said during a news conference on Wednesday.

Sen. Brian Schatz said the centuries-old town was “almost totally burnt to the ground.” Acting Gov. Sylvia Luke said communities had been “wiped out” after emergency services struggled to contain the fires. In Maui alone, over 270 structures have been damaged so far. “These were small businesses that invested in Maui,” she said. “These were local residents. We need to figure out a way to help a lot of people in the next several years. The road to recovery will be long.”

<<<Snip>>>

I absolutely hate seeing this.  I loved Hawaii when we lived there, but we were on Oahu not Maui.  The question I have is why are we not seeing any of the liberals castigating the governor for not being prepared for this?  Or why are they not screeching about how people shouldn't;

1.  Live so far away from other places that could help (it is the most isolated chain of islands in the world)
2.  Live in an area that is prone to fires
3.  Live in an area that is prone to hurricanes
4.  Live so close to the ocean!  (don't they know the sea levels are rising?)

Just some thoughts from what I read about these kind of disasters happening in red areas of the country from the liberals who post it.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline SVPete

A FB Friend lost a 94YO aunt because the bad air quality exacerbated her existing pulmonary problems. I don't mean this callously, but the town could be rebuilt. The people lost are gone, except in memories.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
A FB Friend lost a 94YO aunt because the bad air quality exacerbated her existing pulmonary problems. I don't mean this callously, but the town could be rebuilt. The people lost are gone, except in memories.

The loss of life is absolutely horrific.  I hate seeing this.  I've watched some of the news about it and it is simply devastating.  There's just nowhere to go to escape.

I'm still trying to find out how the fire started.  Evidently no one knows at this point.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen