Author Topic: Could Omicron variant end the Covid crisis?  (Read 311 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Could Omicron variant end the Covid crisis?
« on: December 01, 2021, 02:03:25 PM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216101192

Klaralven (6,694 posts)

An overlooked factor in analyses of Omicron so far is the geographical origin of the variant, Gurel, chief science officer of Flite Material Sciences Corp in Montreal, told Asia Times.

“If we take the premise that this highly transmissible variant arose in an immune-compromised population, by definition, it is not that severe,” Gurel, who has taught courses on medicine in Asia, Europe and North America, said.

The variant, identified last week, appears to have originated in Southern Africa, a hotspot of the immune compromised. Citing 2019 data, Gurel noted that HIV/AIDS is present among 17.3% of adults in South Africa; in Botswana the figure is 22.20%; and in Lesotho, it is 23.10%.

If the disease is not killing off hosts whose immune systems are already weakened, it strongly suggests lower morbidity than other strains.

https://asiatimes.com/2021/11/could-omicron-variant-end-the-covid-crisis/

SCantiGOP (11,889 posts)

1. Yes, this is getting almost no coverage

I have read that hundreds of years ago ago, before medical intervention, plagues often ran their course by mutating into a very transmissible strain with very low fatality. That would facilitate the mass natural immunization of the population.

When the idiot anti-vaxxers would propose this approach to Covid instead of vaccines, masks and social distancing, they were ignoring that the approach would lead to millions of deaths and perhaps even more deadly variants.

The Omicron strain could (and we don’t have the data yet for sure) be a very fortunate development, especially for the billions who are still a long way from any effective vaccination programs in their countries.

Huh?  Am I misreading that?  It says that hundreds of years ago the virus ran its course and became more transmissible, yet less deadly.  But NOW, somehow that is not true?  That had the "idiot anti-vaxxers" got their way this virus would have somehow became MORE deadly?  Really?

Everything I've read since this started has stated the natural life cycle of a virus is for it to become less lethal, yet more transmissible.  The virus wants to live and if it keeps killing off the host it can't survive either.

Maybe I'm misreading what the DUmmie is saying, but if I'm not, I don't think their "we're all about the science" mantra is working for them.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline DLR Pyro

Re: Could Omicron variant end the Covid crisis?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 02:20:58 PM »
Klaralven (6,694 posts)

not if the liberal politicians that you DUmpsters worship have any say in it
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Karin

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 02:28:55 PM »
Yeah, Texacon, I was puzzled by that too.  Seems to be contradicting itself there. 

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 02:35:53 PM »
Yeah, Texacon, I was puzzled by that too.  Seems to be contradicting itself there.

Maybe SCantiGOP thinks they had vaccinations hundreds of years ago?

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 02:46:21 PM »
This has nothing to do with just the "anti-vaxxers". Many of us have noted that the only sure remedy is herd immunity, and you can't do that if everyone stays away from each other wearing masks with fibers so small that the virus can still get through. You're just dragging everything out.

So primitives, do you really want to "facilitate the mass natural immunization of the population"? Because the vaccination isn't doing it alone, if much at all.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 02:59:28 PM »
I have read that hundreds of years ago ago, before medical intervention, plagues often ran their course by mutating into a very transmissible strain with very low fatality. That would facilitate the mass natural immunization of the population.

And a big "DUH!" went up from people who have long been predicting this would happen with COVID.