Author Topic: Christmas alone  (Read 434 times)

Offline landofconfusion80

Christmas alone
« on: November 29, 2021, 06:15:27 AM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/10181589760

smirkymonkey
Any single, childless people here whose family has a problem with them being single and childless?
I had an awful thanksgiving. Mostly because my sister got hammered both nights and started laying in to me about how, first she thought I was such an "unhappy" person because I never went out on dates and also because I didn't have framed prints up on the walls of my apartment (long story, but I live in a condo bldg w/ concrete walls and need to get a permit to hire a contractor to drill into the wall, etc.).

Also, she drunkenly went on about incidents that happened when her kids were toddlers (they are now in HS/College) about how selfish I was because I didn't understand what it was like to be a parent and what their priorities were - examples: If I would want to stop and get an iced coffee or soda when the kids were in the car, it was too disruptive or the fact that I didn't like the same Christmas movie her kids did and said so (but never implied that they couldn't watch it or ever thought they would take my opinion into consideration), etc. It was a nightmare, she just kept repeating the same old things over and over again and wouldn't stop, meanwhile telling me how much she loved me, looked up to me and how I was always welcome at their home.

Oh, I should also mention that they are hardcore Trumpers/right-wingers and I am beginning to think this has more to do with my politics than anything else. When I was there they started a new internet network called "swissmiss" with a different password, which is their sometimes nickname for me (because of how I look) and, duh, I can see it when I sign on the primary one. I think they possibly go on websites they don't want me to see or they are pissed because I log on to liberal sites when I am there.

Anyway, I am invited up for Christmas, as are my parents (my mother is recovering from cancer). I am not sure that I should go. My thought is to go up X-mas eve day and leave the day after X-mas for my parents sake. Would need to set serious boundaries on gifts, etc. I love their kids, but they are even training their kids to distance and I really love their dog, who is an adorable Swiss Mountain Dog. I am not sure what to do and would love to hear any advice from wiser DU'ers who have been in a similar situation.
...maybe the internet access is named after the dog and not you? Order of importance and all, lol

Star Member smirkymonkey
6. I brought up the issue - on how she did this kind of thing every time we got together for the
holidays and she had "a little too much to drink" and that didn't sit well. She got really angry and said that it took "liquid courage" since I was so sensitive "nobody could talk to me unless they were drunk".

It's total bullshit, since I have been in therapy for years and am the most even keeled of all of them, but this is what I am dealing with.

Good advice, Skittles. Just set boundaries, minimize exposure and be prepared to leave if things get ugly. Thank you! 
Years of therapy and the more even keeled,  I don't think so
TlalocW
11. I used to
I'm a childfree male, and for whatever reasons, I've not been in a lot of relationships, but I was always clear that I wasn't having kids. My oldest sister always took that as a challenge, and the running joke what, "Y'know, Mom wants another grandchild!" with my responding, "Well, you've got a few years left. Get on it." Fortunately Mom was quite content with her kids living their lives how they felt they should be. Mom passed in 2015, and I'm 49 now so even that sister has faced reality. I never really felt a lot of pressure though even though my sister did believe as she did. We were all good natured about it.

Ultimately, it's your life, and the only who has to be happy with it is you.

TlalocW
The short story...you never could find a woman that would let you stick your peepee in her no no special place

One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: Christmas alone
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 07:12:56 AM »
Some people choose a life of celibacy, while others have it forced upon them.  This DUmmy appears to be the latter.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 08:17:12 AM »
Some people choose a life of celibacy, while others have it forced upon them.  This DUmmy appears to be the latter.

If the family private network is named "swissmiss", I'd be willing to bet the poster is an over the top gay liberal and the family hates it.
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 08:22:48 AM »
A DUmmy being alone on Christmas because of their politics?

[sarcasm]Gee, what an absolute surprise.[/sarcasm]
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 09:12:34 AM »
Here's an idea. Get a hooker, take him or her to Thanksgiving dinner and afterward have him or her do you on the couch. I bet that will shut them up.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 09:22:12 AM »
Quote from:
smirkymonkey

.... my sister started laying in to me ... because I didn't have framed prints up on the walls of my apartment (long story, but I live in a condo bldg w/ concrete walls and need to get a permit to hire a contractor to drill into the wall, etc.).

You've never heard of Adhesive Strips or Adhesive Hooks?!?

You deserve to be berated just for that alone.

And I read your postings on DU. You are among the miserable in the land of misery. You *love* wallowing in misery. Now I see your sister has given you another reason to be upset. You should be on cloud 9.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 03:03:20 PM »
...also because I didn't have framed prints up on the walls of my apartment (long story, but I live in a condo bldg w/ concrete walls and need to get a permit to hire a contractor to drill into the wall, etc.).

Having been in and around the construction industry for much of my adult life, I can't say I've EVER encountered "CONDOS" with concrete interior walls. Just not much attraction to somebdy looking to plunk down the kind of money condos go for.

Now, Section 8 housing PROJECTS on the other hand, use materials like that to keep the inmates from ripping out all the damned plumbing to sell to the scrap collectors...

:devious:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 04:06:02 PM »
If the family private network is named "swissmiss", I'd be willing to bet the poster is an over the top gay liberal and the family hates it.

that was my take as well.  a loudmouthed flamer who they all wished would go away and change his name

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2021, 04:08:38 PM »
Annnnnnd self-deleted.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2021, 05:07:59 PM »
Does being engrossed in a football/hockey game while being surrounded by people count as 'being alone'? 

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2021, 05:38:56 PM »
Annnnnnd self-deleted.

Although that dreck got 34 thumbs up at the DUmp, even a few rational DUmmies probably suggested that such a loser self-delete the post.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2021, 05:51:27 PM »
Why do primitives telling bouncies usually have "Oh, I should also mention that they are....."

Of course they are.  They always are.
apres moi, le deluge