Author Topic: Interesting commentary on woke language from an unlikely source  (Read 470 times)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Interesting commentary on woke language from an unlikely source
« on: October 31, 2021, 02:42:22 PM »
Instead of putting a Bible in hotel rooms, we should start putting a dictionary in there because apparently nobody knows what words mean anymore. George Carlin famously had the seven words you can’t say on TV. Well, here’s my eight words people need to stop redefining: hate, victim, hero, shame, violence, survivor, phobic, and white supremacy.

Comedian Hannah Gadsby characterized Dave Chappelle’s controversial Netflix special as hate speech dog-whistling. Well, dog whistle refers to when someone puts things in code because they’re afraid to come out and say what they really think. That’s what you get from Dave Chappelle? That he’s afraid to say what he really thinks? And it’s not hate speech just because you disagree with it. Nor is it phobic. Phobic comes from the Greek word for something one fears irrationally, like spiders or germs, but now is used as a suffix for anything you just don’t like.

I’ve been called commitment phobic. No, I don’t fear commitment, I just don’t want it. Other people do. Great! I don’t call them single phobic. I don’t like bowling. I’m not bowling phobic. And if I talk about how wrong I think it is to force women to wear a beekeeper suit all day, that’s not being Islamophobic; I just don’t like it. And I bet they don’t either. I went as a ghost for Halloween once; I lasted about 20 minutes.

Also in the category of, ‘we just don’t like it, so we’re pretending it’s something else,’ is the word ‘violence.’ Last year, there was a staff mutiny at the CBS drama ‘All Rise’ when some of the writers — I’m sorry, I meant victims — took issue with a scene where two women are in an elevator and a naked man gets on. And they just continue talking calmly. And if you think that’s offensive, you should see how the guy pushed the button. But the writers on this show found the scene objectionable and sent off an email saying, ‘Two women would not commonly continue a conversation with a naked white guy running into the elevator. That is violence.’ No, it’s not. Violence is when it hurts. It usually involves leaving a mark of some kind. Of course, innumerable things can lead to violence, but I’m sorry, you can’t take that word and use it for stuff that’s just scary to you or just verbal, which is something I literally learned in kindergarten. Sticks and stones may break my bones but…if you don’t know how that one ends, you need to repeat kindergarten.

Social justice warriors, who are fond of governing by hashtag, like to say, ‘silence is violence.’ And we know that because it rhymes? The words ‘victim’ and ‘survivor’ have traveled a long way from their original usage. The baby from the Nirvana album says he’s a victim. He’s suing Nirvana for lifelong damages. I never thought I’d have to say this to a baby, but stop being such a f***ing baby.

You’re not a victim; there’s no reason you can’t have a normal happy life just because people look at you and think baby penis. It didn’t hurt Trump. In 2010, The New York Times used the term white supremacist on 75 occasions. Last year, over 700 times. Now, some of that, to be sure is because Trump came along and emboldened the faction of this country that is truly white [supremacist]. It is, of course, still a real thing. But it shouldn’t apply to something like, as more than a few have suggested, getting rid of the SAT test. … But of course, the SAT doesn’t have questions like that. So it becomes a kind of ludicrous exaggeration that makes lovers of common sense roll their eyes, and then vote for Trump. Now, are there snowflakes on the Right? Of course; there’s no whinier little b**** than Trump himself. But this kind of stuff does tend to stick to the Left a lot more. Have you ever heard a parent call their child their hero? What party are they probably in? My kid is my hero. Why? He’s six; did he pull [someone] out of a burning building? My hero! Look at the way he shares his Ritalin. You do realize how stupid it sounds to imply you want to grow up to be your kid?

During the pandemic, everyone was a hero. Now, for sure, frontline medical workers really were and are. But then it spread to civil servants, and then anyone who just went to work — postal employees, Amazon stockers. One day I found myself saying to the guy collecting carts at Ralph’s, thank you for your service.

And then there’s shaming. That definition has been rewritten to mean anything that suggests I’m not 100% perfect. I’m not fat shaming when I call bull**** on the idea that a person can be healthy at any size. We’re so through the looking glass on this that Weight Watchers changed their name to “WW.” The weight loss people can’t mention weight loss. Adele was shamed for losing weight, like she was a traitor to what, unhealthiness? When I have reported the statistic that 78% of the people who died or were hospitalized with COVID were overweight, that’s not fat shaming, that’s fatsplaining. It’s what the CDC should be doing. And this is the essence of why word inflation is a problem. You can try to change reality by changing the words, but you can’t. It just stops you from dealing with it. One of the bad guys in “1984” says, ”The whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought.” Yes, it’s Orwellian. And you know what they say, Orwell never ends well.

Bill Maher Commentary
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
Re: Interesting commentary on woke language from an unlikely source
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 11:30:37 AM »
Don't follow Maher anywhere, but his name and comments do seem to pop up frequently as being a more reasonable left leaning person, little more live and let live than the loud minority of moonbats that think they run the left side of the spectrum and want all disagreements vilified and silenced by any means necessary. 
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 12:30:48 PM »
Don't follow Maher anywhere, but his name and comments do seem to pop up frequently as being a more reasonable left leaning person, little more live and let live than the loud minority of moonbats that think they run the left side of the spectrum and want all disagreements vilified and silenced by any means necessary.

He's a traditional liberal, not a leftist.  There is a distinction.  AoC and her pathetic crew are leftists.  Someone like James Carville is a liberal, and so is Maher.

Maher is sort of a George Carlin wanna be, although Bill is FAR more overtly political than George ever was, which limits his potential fan base.  Don't get HBO, but have always found him amusing at times back when he hosted Politically Incorrect on Comedy Central and ABC years ago.

Perhaps he sees just how wacko the leftists in his party are taking it to such extremes that he sounds rational in comparison.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 02:12:25 PM »

Perhaps he sees just how wacko the leftists in his party are taking it to such extremes that he sounds rational in comparison.

^^^This.

Maher's a liberal elitist. Lives in Beverly Hills on 3.2 acres. Has plenty of money to withstand the Commiefornia Crapola, so he doesn't much give a shit about "the people" like he'd like you to think.

Just because he sounds "reasonable" now doesn't mean he's changed his leopard spots. No way, Jose. (Lots of mixed metaphors there.)  :-)
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 03:55:55 PM »
^^^This.

Maher's a liberal elitist. Lives in Beverly Hills on 3.2 acres. Has plenty of money to withstand the Commiefornia Crapola, so he doesn't much give a shit about "the people" like he'd like you to think.

Just because he sounds "reasonable" now doesn't mean he's changed his leopard spots. No way, Jose. (Lots of mixed metaphors there.)  :-)

Hey, I'm not saying that Maher is some conservative messiah, because lord knows he's not.  But he has started making a lot more sense since President Trump left office.  Maybe he's reaching out a bit to conservatives, who knows what his ploy is.  I just enjoy the pearl clutching, furrowed brows, and stroking of chins at the outrage of him as of late by the wacko liberals. :popcorn:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 06:22:24 PM »
Hey, I'm not saying that Maher is some conservative messiah, because lord knows he's not.  But he has started making a lot more sense since President Trump left office.  Maybe he's reaching out a bit to conservatives, who knows what his ploy is.  I just enjoy the pearl clutching, furrowed brows, and stroking of chins at the outrage of him as of late by the wacko liberals. :popcorn:

I thought you were on point with your comment about him sounding more rational than the rest of the weirdos.

A bit more info about Bill Maher. I can't confirm any of this, of course, but I suspect it's close to the truth -- he's worth $140 million and makes $10 million a year. He has that house in Beverly Hills that he paid around $20 million for (or it's worth that much) and a condo on Catalina Island that he paid $1 million for. Hey, I have no problem with him having money -- I think it's a good thing and I also think he's thinking and expressing himself differently now because now that he's a rich celebrity, he's got more to lose. Ergo, he might be leaning a bit more toward the right than before.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.