Author Topic: ASK MR. FLIGHT Forum (also Travel Advice)  (Read 6945 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
ASK MR. FLIGHT Forum (also Travel Advice)
« on: August 12, 2008, 07:34:04 PM »
I just realized I have more flying time in a few years than many people do in more than one life. We have some other frequent flyers (although I am pretty sure I am the king here).  I probably have 500 or 600 flights, resulting in about 700 segments or so.  I have 2.5 million miles across 3 airlines -- ALL DOMESTIC/North America.

I am willing to share my experience with people who are about to fly or who have flown and have difficulties -- even those stuck in airports and need to know what to do next.

A subforum of the lounge?

Just an offer to help the community -- thoughts?

Note: I don't have International experience, but we have a number here who do and I think I can get them and PM them to threads that need their expertise.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
Re: ASK MR. FLIGHT Forum (also Travel Advice)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 07:59:10 PM »
Good idea.

If nothing else ....it can be entertaining to read each other's experiences.

I've had six international flights in the last 6 years, if that helps.

Might also consider recommendations of places to stay, eat, see, etc.

CC's TripAdvisor...... :-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 08:04:25 PM »
I dunno; the Lounge is for fun, and this isn't fun.

If a subforum, how about making it a part of the Around the House and In the Garage forum?

I'm trying to amass some territory.

And while we're at it, how about moving all the threads from the DemocratWarrior subforum and the Ron Paul subforum in the DUmpster, down into the DUmpster, and delete those two subforums?  It would tidy things up considerably.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 09:09:09 PM »

If a subforum, how about making it a part of the Around the House and In the Garage forum?

And while we're at it, how about moving all the threads from the DemocratWarrior subforum and the Ron Paul subforum in the DUmpster, down into the DUmpster, and delete those two subforums?  It would tidy things up considerably.

Well, flying and stuff is pretty trivial -- not on the order of the other fora.

Your idea of reorganizing the other subfora makes sense -- I just read that people who make too many mail folders tend to lose it more often than not...
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 09:10:34 PM »
Good idea.

If nothing else ....it can be entertaining to read each other's experiences.

I've had six international flights in the last 6 years, if that helps.

Might also consider recommendations of places to stay, eat, see, etc.

CC's TripAdvisor...... :-)

That is what I mean -- you already have more international travel experience in the last few years than many people will have in their life.  Heck, if and when they finally let me go to China to coordinate our offshore development I will need someone with experience.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 09:54:24 PM »
I say start a floating thread possibly in the Lounge or just a sticky at the top of the Lounge.  I think people would tend to ignore a subforum. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 10:59:24 PM »
I say start a floating thread possibly in the Lounge or just a sticky at the top of the Lounge.  I think people would tend to ignore a subforum. 

Sure, why not?   I still don't completly understand the mechanics of the forum, since I just hit "latest posts."

So, is this a good idea?  A bad idea?  Should I post a poll?

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 11:16:06 PM »

Sure, why not?   I still don't completly understand the mechanics of the forum, since I just hit "latest posts."

Hum, well, if you want to go for it in the Lounge (where I think it's most appropriate) just start a thread.  Then if the interest is there, I say we make it a sticky.  :)  It can be like the on going Dodgers baseball thread. Just one long thread with questions and answers. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 11:21:49 PM »

Hum, well, if you want to go for it in the Lounge (where I think it's most appropriate) just start a thread.  Then if the interest is there, I say we make it a sticky.  :)  It can be like the on going Dodgers baseball thread. Just one long thread with questions and answers. 
How will people find it?

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 11:37:07 PM »

we have had a great many very enjoyable, and very popular threads relating to travels and traveling in general
in the lounge.  start it there, and if it turns into something popular (and I hope that it does), we will certainly find
a way to feature it in the forums, and give it prominence. 

we're all about providing useful, entertaining, and informative content, after all.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 11:45:05 PM »

we have had a great many very enjoyable, and very popular threads relating to travels and traveling in general
in the lounge.  start it there, and if it turns into something popular (and I hope that it does), we will certainly find
a way to feature it in the forums, and give it prominence. 

we're all about providing useful, entertaining, and informative content, after all.

All right -- tomorrow (or I guess later today), I'll fire up a thread and see how it goes.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 06:06:40 AM »
Sounds good FD.

I also second frank's suggestion to roll those subforums into the larger one like he mentioned.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 07:33:21 AM »
I've flown a few times without ever leaving the ground.  Ask me anything.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 07:46:08 AM »

that sounds like a good idea.  we'll put it on the "to do list" for this week.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 10:18:47 AM »
While I've amassed a number of flight hours on commercial airliners, the brunt of my flying time was acquired in military aircraft. I have noticed that the flight attendants have become little Nazi bitches over the last few decades.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 12:49:32 AM »
I just realized I have more flying time in a few years than many people do in more than one life. We have some other frequent flyers (although I am pretty sure I am the king here).  I probably have 500 or 600 flights, resulting in about 700 segments or so.  I have 2.5 million miles across 3 airlines -- ALL DOMESTIC/North America.

That is alot of flying.

It seems like you are just home long enough to unpack and pack again!

I could never do it. Airports can be a real PIA.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 02:24:31 AM »
I once sleep the entire time of a 15 hr flight except for the first 30 minutes or so & the last 15 minutes +/-

Also been to three continents and numberous foreign countries and have never had a passport  :-)
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 07:11:18 AM »

That is alot of flying.

It seems like you are just home long enough to unpack and pack again!

I could never do it. Airports can be a real PIA.

Leaving in 10 minutes -- you would be amazed what you can get used to.  I get to use the 1st class security line and LAX has an Admiral's Club so it isn't as bad as all that.  Maybe I'll do a segment on what I do to stay sane...

Offline Chris_

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 07:12:16 AM »
I once sleep the entire time of a 15 hr flight except for the first 30 minutes or so & the last 15 minutes +/-

Also been to three continents and numberous foreign countries and have never had a passport  :-)

I have friends who can do that -- I envy those who can sleep (I can't).

Military? Or just pre-9/11.