Author Topic: A few thoughts on gun control  (Read 5046 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
A few thoughts on gun control
« on: August 04, 2019, 09:16:58 PM »
Star Member SHRED (27,681 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212345209

Last edited Sun Aug 4, 2019, 11:38 AM - Edit history (1)

As a starting point.

*Ban assault weapons and high capacity magazines with an aggressive buyback program and reasonable grace period.
*Ban the sale of body armour to civilians.
*Outlaw silencers.
*Strong nationwide background check and extended waiting period.
*Require registration and insurance on all firearms whether sold by a dealer or person to person. Like a car.
*Close gunshow loophole.

Star Member mainstreetonce (3,738 posts)

3. I would close gun shows

Guns are too dangerous to be sold at shiws.

Star Member at140 (2,425 posts)

4. All good measures in your list but....

There are already more guns than people in civilian hands. And those who ignore and break laws will not obey.

Star Member jcgoldie (3,846 posts)

7. right wing talking point

There's already too many guns so how can we control it? Only criminals will have guns. NRA bullshit.

If there's termites eating the damn house, nobody says awwe shucks there's already too many just let em have it!

::)

Star Member Hoyt (38,869 posts)

10. Every decade we do nothing puts another 100 million guns on the street. Might as well start now,

because sooner or later, we are going to have to quit coddling gun lovers.

Bring it, **** head.

Star Member bearsfootball516 (4,463 posts)

14. It's something that may have to be grandfather'd in.

I’ve seen people suggest mandatory confiscation of high powered assault rifles. There are a LOT of insane citizens with guns that will go down in a blaze of glory before giving them up.

You WILL start a war that way.

Star Member MyNameGoesHere (5,759 posts)

44. Those who ignore and break laws

Will need to be arrested and prosecuted. We do that already. It's a very lame excuse for not doing it. It's a defeatist attitude or a NRA response. We can control criminals and law breakers.

... unless they have a [D] after their name...

Voltaire2 (6,146 posts)

21. Mental healthcare has nothing to do with gun control, and linking it stigmatizes people who have mental health issues.

Otherwise, yes. All of the above. Plus as the gun radicals love to point out, it is very difficult to fully specify exactly what is an assault weapon and what isn’t, so gun manufacturers should have to get regulatory approval from a federal agency to manufacture any weapon.

Star Member DVRacer (359 posts)

28. Let's just take point one

There are approximately 330,000,000 firearms in the United States. Of those 85% fall into the category you set out that’s 280,000,000ish. Like eminent domain the courts will require fair compensation so average for that would be about $1,000.00. So I would ask how do you plan to pay for 2,800,000,000 yes that’s 2.8 trillion dollars?

My reasoning for being against more laws is because of what happened under the 94-04 ban. It was heavily enforced on inner city’s and let slide in rural communities. Just like hardened drug laws it will be disproportionately enforced against minority’s. I don’t want to give them more reasons to lock up minority men for 10 years especially when you have officers like the one in Florida planting drugs. He was able for years to take drugs from evidence and plant them. So now these departments will have all the guns they want to plant on people they want to make go away. I’m worried this is a trap and also can’t see how to pay for it too.

Voltaire2 (6,146 posts)

30. 500.00

I think you have grossly inflated the value of a used semi auto rifle.

But I don’t care. The buy back grace period should be short: 3 months. After that the fair market value of your lovely precious is zero.

31. Then no buyback

You go to prison if caught with one.

Star Member DVRacer (359 posts)

34. Well you can't do that legally

The courts right now are trying to come up with an amount the Federal government has to pay for bump stocks. The previous owners want $500 the government says $100 but nevertheless they have to pay. So whatever it is it will be a huge sum for 85% of all firearms in the country.

Just take Oregon for an example rural counties say they won’t enforce the law there. The cities say enforce enforce it will be the same nation wide. You will make the private prisons very rich and ruin many lives in the process. Like the ‘94 crime bill you will look back and go oh that was a mistake.

Star Member ooky (2,995 posts)

35. Sounds like we need to be more aggressive with enforcement action then.

Sorry but its time to stop making excuses, the assault weapons need to go. Give them a tax loss write off and get going. Reinstate the assault weapons ban and put those who are still caught with them in prison with mandatory prison time. If they break the law and get caught they ruin their own lives.

Star Member hunter (29,962 posts)

33. The second amendment is bullshit just as the Constitutionality of slavery was bullshit.

It's time to end this nation's disgusting and dangerous gun culture, it's time to separate fools from their guns, it's time to destroy the guns.

pecosbob (3,386 posts)

45. I believe several of those conditions existed when I was a young man

silencers were illegal...body armor was illegal...background checks were conducted. Seems like Republicans must have gutted these laws at some point...I wonder why.

:thatsright: Obviously to kill more black and brown people....  :mental:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline 67 Rover

Re: A few thoughts on gun control
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 06:24:40 AM »
Star Member bearsfootball516 (4,463 posts)

14. It's something that may have to be grandfather'd in.

I’ve seen people suggest mandatory confiscation of high powered assault rifles. There are a LOT of insane citizens with guns that will go down in a blaze of glory before giving them up.

My guns identify as low powered rifles so I should be good to go.  :panic:
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 08:21:11 AM »
There's over 100MM firearms owners in this country.  If just 25% of them refuse to comply with these fascists what the hell do they think they're going to do with 25MM 'felons'? 

Not to mention this is not a real problem.  It is simply sensationalized.  Even loony tunes Neil De Grasse Tyson sees through the media hysteria.

They don't enforce the laws they have on the books now, so what good will more laws do them?  They all love it when the cops don't enforce marijuana laws, or push the homeless away from businesses and neighborhoods, per city laws, so what makes this special?

Not to mention they always try to lump all gun owners into one basket when these things happen, yet absolutely refuse to do so when it's one of their pet projects like, Muslims, etc ...

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 09:30:01 AM »
 :thatsright:  :thatsright:  :thatsright:  :thatsright:  :thatsright:

As a starting point.

*Ban assault weapons and high capacity magazines with an aggressive buyback program and reasonable grace period. If by "assault weapons" rifles that can be automatic rather than just scary looking, they basically already are. Banning "high capacity magazines" would be pointless, as a shooter carrying 10- or 15-round magazines could change magazines in 1-2 seconds, not enough delay to make a significant difference.

*Ban the sale of body armour to civilians. 1. Body armor doesn't protect uncovered areas like head, arms, hips/butt, and legs. 2. Body armor will not stop rifle bullets of just about any caliber.

*Outlaw silencers. "Silencers" do not truly silence. They reduce the report enough to prevent/lessen hearing damage, but targets will hear gunshots very clearly, as will nearby police. "Silencers" do not make guns any more deadly. This is a red herring bogeymen created by watching too many Hollyweird movies and TV shows.

*Strong nationwide background check and extended waiting period. Background checks are already required, with a significant list of reasons a would-be purchaser would be refused. A waiting period accomplishes less than nothing, as it prevents nothing but is a period of vulnerability for a purchaser living under imminent threat.

*Require registration and insurance on all firearms whether sold by a dealer or person to person. Like a car. Gun registration is currently banned by Federal law, because that information would be abused. Gun registration would accomplish nothing that background checks don't already accomplish. Re insurance: this would be a significant hindrance to exercising a constitutionally guaranteed right, and would be found to be a violation of the 2nd Amendment; cars are not a constitutional right, so the analogy is bogus.

*Close gunshow loophole. Sounds like Star Moron SHRED is unaware that gun show sales by businesses all go through the same background check that in-store sales do. "Gunshow loophole" is just a Prog bogeymantra.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 11:36:31 AM »

Mine identify as wireless, handheld safety devices. Good to go here as well... :cheersmate:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 01:09:27 PM »
Mine identify as wireless, handheld safety devices. Good to go here as well... :cheersmate:

Mine identify as female weightlifters.  They can go anywhere including women's showers.

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 02:06:33 PM »
Mine identify as female weightlifters.  They can go anywhere including women's showers.

Very few of mine speak English.
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 03:13:17 PM »

*Outlaw silencers. "Silencers" do not truly silence. They reduce the report enough to prevent/lessen hearing damage, but targets will hear gunshots very clearly, as will nearby police. "Silencers" do not make guns any more deadly. This is a red herring bogeymen created by watching too many Hollyweird movies and TV shows.

WHAT!!! That's BS, SV. Hollywood and TvV wouldn't lie to us. Guns wíth evil silencers always sound like a super quiet pew  pew  pew  pewpewpew or fup  fup fup.
I'm devastated,. :bawl: :bawl: 

If it can bruise a mouse, your shit out of luck.
   Don't be too sure of yourself.
   :II: :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :hi5:

Mine can't swim and they weren't wearing life jackets that day. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 11:50:05 AM by Skul »
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 04:02:32 PM »
Voltaire2 (6,146 posts)

21. Mental healthcare has nothing to do with gun control, and linking it stigmatizes people who have mental health issues.

Otherwise, yes. All of the above. Plus as the gun radicals love to point out, it is very difficult to fully specify exactly what is an assault weapon and what isn’t, so gun manufacturers should have to get regulatory approval from a federal agency to manufacture any weapon.

That is correct,  Mental healthcare has nothing to do with gun control, It is part of the solution to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill who will go on a shooting spree.

as for  linking it stigmatizes people who have mental health issues, if it will save lives it is worth it. You are punishing millions of law abiding gun owners so as not to  " stigmatize " those who will misuse them.

You dip shits have all the wrong solutions to the problem, but refuse to accept reality when a proper solution is proposed.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 04:05:34 PM »
There's already too many guns so how can we control it? Only criminals will have guns.

That's exactly how it is in most places that forbid public ownership of guns. dip[ shit.

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 06:43:35 PM »

As a starting point.

*Ban assault weapons and high capacity magazines with an aggressive buyback program and reasonable grace period. If by "assault weapons" rifles that can be automatic rather than just scary looking, they basically already are. Banning "high capacity magazines" would be pointless, as a shooter carrying 10- or 15-round magazines could change magazines in 1-2 seconds, not enough delay to make a significant difference.

*Ban the sale of body armour to civilians. 1. Body armor doesn't protect uncovered areas like head, arms, hips/butt, and legs. 2. Body armor will not stop rifle bullets of just about any caliber.

*Strong nationwide background check and extended waiting period. Background checks are already required, with a significant list of reasons a would-be purchaser would be refused. A waiting period accomplishes less than nothing, as it prevents nothing but is a period of vulnerability for a purchaser living under imminent threat.

*Require registration and insurance on all firearms whether sold by a dealer or person to person. Like a car. Gun registration is currently banned by Federal law, because that information would be abused. Gun registration would accomplish nothing that background checks don't already accomplish. Re insurance: this would be a significant hindrance to exercising a constitutionally guaranteed right, and would be found to be a violation of the 2nd Amendment; cars are not a constitutional right, so the analogy is bogus.

*Close gunshow loophole. Sounds like Star Moron SHRED is unaware that gun show sales by businesses all go through the same background check that in-store sales do. "Gunshow loophole" is just a Prog bogeymantra.

*Ban assault weapons and high capacity magazines with an aggressive buyback program and reasonable grace period. Most mass shooters do not use assault rifles. Nikolas Cruz did not use high capacity when he massacred people at Stoneman High School.

*Ban the sale of body armour to civilians. Body armour is useless once it is hit by bullets. Also, it does not protect from stabbings.

*Outlaw silencers. Very few mass killers have used silencers.

*Strong nationwide background check and extended waiting period. We already have background check laws in the book.

*Require registration and insurance on all firearms whether sold by a dealer or person to person. Like a car. Driving is not a right.

*Close gunshow loophole. SVPete covered it.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline jukin

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 06:53:04 PM »
Now oh great and stupid DUchebags, what do you do about the Second Amendment. 

Oh my that is a tough one. A whole lot of states have to support that and it has super majorities to get though the congress.

Might as well wish you all had 105 IQ points.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Movie buff- The Sequel

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2019, 04:55:15 AM »

They don't enforce the laws they have on the books now, so what good will more laws do them?  They all love it when the cops don't enforce marijuana laws, or push the homeless away from businesses and neighborhoods, per city laws, so what makes this special?

1. Hear, hear on your first point! The Parkland school shooting would not have happened if existing laws (Both gun laws, and laws relating to juvenile offenders) were actually enforced.
For instance, Nikolas Cruz was expelled from the school some months before the shooting. The school administrators were required by law to inform the police that he had been expelled. They did not do so. Had they done so, Cruz would not have been able to legally purchase a firearm because he wouldn't have passed the background check. Also, even though Cruz had committed MANY violent acts in the school before being expelled, the school administrators and deputies refused to ever arrest him for it, in order to comply with the Obama Administration's asinine school discipline policy, which among other things pressured schools to heavily cut down on student suspensions and youth arrests. Had they arrested Cruz for his violent acts, he again wouldn't have passed the background check and wouldn't have been able to legally purchase a firearm.
2. As for your second point, don't forget the DUmmies also love when the cops don't enforce immigration laws and refuse to cooperate with ICE, even when it comes to illegals who are known violent felons in need of deportation before they hurt anyone else.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2019, 06:00:13 AM »
2. As for your second point, don't forget the DUmmies also love when the cops don't enforce immigration laws and refuse to cooperate with ICE, even when it comes to illegals who are known violent felons in need of deportation before they hurt anyone else.

Yup.  I did forget to mention/include that.  Great point!

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2019, 08:37:37 AM »
Come and get them DUmmy.

You get this part first.

Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline SVPete

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2019, 08:59:14 AM »
1. Hear, hear on your first point! The Parkland school shooting would not have happened if existing laws (Both gun laws, and laws relating to juvenile offenders) were actually enforced.
For instance, Nikolas Cruz was expelled from the school some months before the shooting. ...

The same is true of the Dayton shooter. He posted his "hit list" on a restroom wall at his school, and harassed girls by sending them his "rape list", which included their names. The guy should have been ineligible to purchase guns, but the school seems to have taken their annual $10K per student government funding more seriously than his threats. It'd be interesting to know if the police were brought in on that and by whom.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2019, 12:36:54 PM »

WHAT!!! That's BS, SV. Hollywood and TvV wouldn't lie to us. Guns wíth evil silencers always sound like a super quiet pew  pew  pew  pewpewpew or fup  fup fup.
I'm devastated,. :bawl: :bawl: 

I think it is shwip! or maybe zhweep! so silent a person in the bed next to the victim cannot hear it.  Them things is real, I tells ya!
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2019, 02:53:00 PM »
So the DUmdasses want to confiscate firearms? Fair enough as long as they start where gun violence is out of control like Chicago. I'm sure the gangbangers doing the violence will have no problems whatsoever with a group of mealy mouthed wannabe tough guys from the sewer of the internet trying to disarm them.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2019, 06:36:55 PM »
There's over 100MM firearms owners in this country.  If just 25% of them refuse to comply with these fascists what the hell do they think they're going to do with 25MM 'felons'? 

Not to mention this is not a real problem.  It is simply sensationalized.  Even loony tunes Neil De Grasse Tyson sees through the media hysteria.

Not to mention they always try to lump all gun owners into one basket when these things happen, yet absolutely refuse to do so when it's one of their pet projects like, Muslims, etc ...

KC

Exactly!
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2019, 08:45:41 PM »
Sorry for such a late comment.
Something came to mind a short time ago,

A technical question about "silencers".
When firing a bullèt through one, is the sound of impact ŕeduced also?ĺ
Where does the freaking sound go?
Is there a sound puddle on the ground?
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2019, 09:08:52 PM »

As I understand it, the sound is directed to sound as though coming from elsewhere
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2019, 10:09:41 PM »
>Star Member Hoyt (38,869 posts) ...
>10. Every decade we do nothing puts another 100 million guns on the street. Might as well start now,

"When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk."

Offline Aristotelian

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2019, 07:59:50 AM »
The DUmmy promised some 'thoughts' on gun control - then posted a list of talking-points, there was no thought involved in that post whatsoever.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2019, 11:42:12 AM »
The DUmmy promised some 'thoughts' on gun control - then posted a list of talking-points, there was no thought involved in that post whatsoever.

There hardly ever is. But then, it is the DUmp Monkiez we're talking about here. Good at flinging excrement and screeching incoherently. Not so good at reasoned thought, and civil public discourse.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2019, 12:05:15 PM »

A silencer is like a muffler on a car, it slows down the gas and some of the sound of the burning powder. To be truly quiet you need to use sub sonic ammo, other wise you can still hear the sonic boom of the bullet.

The impact noise is not affected.

Silencers are definately not as quiet as the movies.