Author Topic: Governor Newsom's Priorities  (Read 683 times)

Offline BamaMoose

Governor Newsom's Priorities
« on: September 28, 2021, 03:02:35 AM »
Two DU posts about California posted within a couple of minutes of each other:

Demovictory9 (21,159 posts)

brazen shoplifting while people stand around and watch

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/shoplifters-calmly-fill-arms-and-walk-out-of-marshalls-store-on-camera/2701896/

The NBC clip shows a couple of shoplifters casually stealing and strolling out of the store like it was a normal thing to do.

Sympthsical (2,131 posts)

1. Welcome to California, how can we help you?

Nevermind, you can help yourself.

It's a really big problem here, sadly. Employees are told not to intervene for liability reasons. And because shoplifting under $950 is a misdemeanor, the cops won't bother most of the time because the prosecutors don't always care. It has become a big why bother with law enforcement.

So, this goes on.

It's almost not even news anymore.

I love the disingenuous, "Why didn't the store report this?!"

Because they know nothing will come of it, so why even bother. Just write off the loss. And when the store closes, everyone will ask why.

radius777 (2,957 posts)

2. That's terrible and makes blue states/cities look bad,

as it allows conservatives to frame Dems as 'soft on crime'
(like Reagan/Bush did in the 80s).

Glad the tough (but fair and reform minded) Eric Adams will be the next NYC mayor. Most voters don't like crime and chaos, regardless of party.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215901377

Governor Newsom springs into action to demonstrate that he isn't "soft on crime" in the next post.

LetMyPeopleVote (100,607 posts)

California to replace the word 'alien' from its laws

This is a good move by California

. -- California will strike the word “alien” from its state laws, getting rid of what Gov. Gavin Newsom called “an offensive term for a human being” that has “fueled a divisive and hurtful narrative.”

Newsom on Friday signed a law that removes the word from various sections of the California state code. California passed laws in 2015 and 2016 that removed the word from the state's labor and education code.

But the law Newsom signed on Friday finishes the job by removing the word from all state laws. The word will be replaced with terms like “noncitizen” or “immigrant.”

“By changing this term, we are ensuring California’s laws reflect our state’s values,” Newsom said.

The federal government has used the term “alien” to describe people in the U.S. who are not citizens since at least 1798 with the passage of the “Aliens and Sedition Acts.” But Assemblywoman Luz Rivas, a Democrat from Arleta, said the word “has become weaponized and has been used in place of explicitly racial slurs to dehumanize immigrants.”

msongs (61,482 posts)

1. good news

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215901378

So Newsom's solution to the rising levels of crime in California is to eliminate or redefine words in the criminal code that identify criminals.  Because that hurts their feelings.  Glad to see he has his priorities straight.

Offline Muddling 2

Re: Governor Newsom's Priorities
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 05:59:07 AM »
Always amusing to see Gothmog/LMPV(Cheat) demonstrate their mind-numbing stupidity for all to see.

:-) :-) :-) :-)
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
Robert A. Heinlein

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 06:22:55 AM »
Just call them Democrats. So you got “not-legal immigrant Democrats” and “noncitizen Democrats”.
Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Karin

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 08:13:00 AM »
Why would anybody open and operate any kind of store in CA? 

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 09:58:29 AM »

as it allows conservatives to frame Dems as 'soft on crime'

If someone's policies "allow conservatives to frame Dems as soft on crime", maybe they should, I don't know, change those policies???

Offline SVPete

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2021, 10:03:56 AM »
Sympthsical (2,131 posts)

1. Welcome to California, how can we help you?

Nevermind, you can help yourself.

It's a really big problem here, sadly. Employees are told not to intervene for liability reasons. And because shoplifting under $950 is a misdemeanor, the cops won't bother most of the time because the prosecutors don't always care. It has become a big why bother with law enforcement.

So, this goes on.

It's almost not even news anymore.

I love the disingenuous, "Why didn't the store report this?!"

Because they know nothing will come of it, so why even bother. Just write off the loss. And when the store closes, everyone will ask why.

Was (s)he Alerted for committing truth? Employees who interfere with shoplifters may be disciplined or canned by some store chains. My son worked for a major drugstore chain, some 15 years ago and this was true back then. On one occasion he did detain a shoplifter ... with the help of his manager, :-) ... both of whom had a brown belt in karate. Obviously, they first scoped out the shoplifter as to risk.

radius777 (2,957 posts)

as it allows conservatives to frame Dems as 'soft on crime' (like Reagan/Bush did in the 80s).

Glad the tough (but fair and reform minded) Eric Adams will be the next NYC mayor. Most voters don't like crime and chaos, regardless of party.

:ownit:   , Jackass!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 10:12:07 AM »

California is not a homogeneous mass. Why do I keep having to point this out on conservative sites to people who should know better?!!!

E.G. LA and SF Counties' DAs are loony-left and get "news" coverage. Sheriffs and DAs in less loony counties like Yolo or Sutter (and many other) Counties do their jobs, and therefore are invisible when it comes to news coverage. Just because California-bashing "conservative" "news" sites don't cover them does not mean these CA DAs and sheriffs who do their jobs don't exist.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Muddling 2

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 10:24:24 AM »
California is not a homogeneous mass. Why do I keep having to point this out on conservative sites to people who should know better?!!!

E.G. LA and SF Counties' DAs are loony-left and get "news" coverage. Sheriffs and DAs in less loony counties like Yolo or Sutter (and many other) Counties do their jobs, and therefore are invisible when it comes to news coverage. Just because California-bashing "conservative" "news" sites don't cover them does not mean these CA DAs and sheriffs who do their jobs don't exist.

This.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify that CA is not monolithic.
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
Robert A. Heinlein

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 11:21:04 AM »
No one on this site is claiming that CA is monolithic and/or a homogenous mass. I have yet to read a single poster here write about events in CA as thought all citizens of the state are on board. I’m fact, it goes without saying that we all recognize that it’s the kooks in CA who are the issue and not the conservatives. Even asking “Why would anyone open or operate any kind of store in CA?” carries with it the understanding that the poster is talking specifically about the parts of CA that are un-business friendly. And let’s face it; the parts of CA where events have clearly demonstrated that shoplifters can operate without consequence makes wondering why someone would either open or continue to operate in those areas a very relevant question.

So there’s no reason to try and chastise because I assure you it will continue to be rightfully ignored.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2021, 12:30:34 PM »
No one on this site is claiming that CA is monolithic and/or a homogenous mass. I have yet to read a single poster here write about events in CA as thought all citizens of the state are on board. I’m fact, it goes without saying that we all recognize that it’s the kooks in CA who are the issue and not the conservatives. Even asking “Why would anyone open or operate any kind of store in CA?” carries with it the understanding that the poster is talking specifically about the parts of CA that are un-business friendly. And let’s face it; the parts of CA where events have clearly demonstrated that shoplifters can operate without consequence makes wondering why someone would either open or continue to operate in those areas a very relevant question.

So there’s no reason to try and chastise because I assure you it will continue to be rightfully ignored.

Really? Karin's comment above, which I quoted, didn't broom-paint all of California?

I imagined that Texans here on the Cave have posted Keep Out Californians posts? And have been BS'ing me recently ( :rotf: ) for daring to call out their ignorant bigotry?

Just

:ownit:

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2021, 01:19:58 PM »
I, for one, am not amused by all the new California people in my area. They bring over all sorts of weird ideas that made their home state what it is. And the same question for transient California people: why don't you stay and fix your state? The same question has been asked of the "asylum seekers" at the border
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline SVPete

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2021, 03:02:57 PM »
I, for one, am not amused by all the new California people in my area. They bring over all sorts of weird ideas that made their home state what it is. And the same question for transient California people: why don't you stay and fix your state? The same question has been asked of the "asylum seekers" at the border

If by accident I chance to move to your area I'll likely be an exception to your experience.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2021, 03:31:26 PM »
Really? Karin's comment above, which I quoted, didn't broom-paint all of California?

No, it didn’t. You’re seeing things that aren’t really happening.

And I bet if you ask Karin, she’d tell you the same thing. She was talking about a specific group within CA, not everyone. I understood that. So did a whole bunch of others. Really, they did. Ask around.

I’ve been at this site since 2008 when it started and at CU starting in Feb., 2004. Ask frank, ask bunny, ask Mannn, ask Ralph. We all know each other and have for years. None of us are broadbrushing any State over the actions of the kooks within that State. That just isn’t what we do. We give each other the benefit of the doubt.

What we most definitely don’t need to start doing is like those nuts at DU and having to write a disclaimer before any comment. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to have to state “Now, when I’m talking about this topic or that topic, I’m not talking about blah, blah, blah….” before posting, especially when common sense already dictates that we don’t engage in that type of communication anyway. I see that crap over at DU all the time, the CYA posts. None of us are interested in having to write an essay to make sure someone doesn’t misunderstand something. Nope.

As for the Texas thing, no one wants lefties who have ruined their own State to move to a conservative area and vote for the same idiots that caused them to want to leave in the first place. Here in FL, we get some of the nuts from the NY area who complain about how bad things have become there only to vote for the same type of crazy Dems here, so I understand where they’re coming from. OTOH, I’ve met plenty of NYers who moved here and, having seen what caused their area to turn to crap, have amended their ways. So just like Texans, I agree that people who want to come in from others areas and change things need to just stay away. Those who want to move to Texas and act like Texans don’t have a problem. Guarantee you that both you and me could move there and be welcomed. However, way too many move there only to try and make it like the very place they were complaining about. Makes no sense.

However I can’t emphasize this enough; the outbursts and complaining about broadbrushing won’t work.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 03:35:03 PM by USA4ME »

Offline SVPete

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2021, 05:09:59 PM »
No, it didn’t. You’re seeing things that aren’t really happening.

And I bet if you ask Karin, she’d tell you the same thing. She was talking about a specific group within CA, not everyone. I understood that. So did a whole bunch of others. Really, they did. Ask around.

OK, USA4ME, here are Karin's words, freshly copy-and-pasted:

Where did she qualify the area of California or include the qualification, "some people" or "some group"?

As to broad-brooming in the Cave, here's an example: https://conservativecave.com/cave/index.php?topic=125354.msg1481874#msg1481874 . And another, https://conservativecave.com/cave/index.php?topic=125354.msg1481874#msg1481874 .
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 05:15:22 PM by SVPete »

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2021, 05:54:04 PM »
OK, USA4ME, here are Karin's words, freshly copy-and-pasted:

Where did she qualify the area of California or include the qualification, "some people" or "some group”?

She didn’t. And she didn’t have to. It was something the participants on this site already understood and knew what she meant. Ask around and you’ll see.

She didn’t have to say “Why would anybody open and operate any kind of store in CA, and by that I mean specifically these areas A, B, C & D, but not including these areas W, X, Y and Z, but potentially L, M, N & O depending on circumstances which include E, F, & G, but not R, S & T., etc….” That’s the kind of disclaimer crap we don’t need, mainly because we have the ability to think beyond what’s being written and focus upon the intention of the writer. As fellow conservatives, we don’t have to explain the thoughts behind everything we say because we’re on the same page.

If someone says to wall off CA and burn it down, they aren’t talking about good conservatives. They’re talking about the scum that’s destroying the State. I don’t know how to explain it any more clearly.

Offline trump1getoverit

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2021, 06:12:31 PM »
Always amusing to see Gothmog/LMPV(Cheat) demonstrate their mind-numbing stupidity for all to see.

:-) :-) :-) :-)
so newsom is changing words

while Dim actions are changing the US into a disaster

what's going on w/ the recall?

Offline SVPete

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2021, 08:57:16 PM »
I don't do