Author Topic: Gay marriage ban qualifies for California ballot  (Read 7805 times)

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
Re: Gay marriage ban qualifies for California ballot
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 12:45:56 PM »
I don't know why normal people don't just run away from California as fast as they can and leave it to the idiots.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2008, 12:47:41 PM »
I don't know why normal people don't just run away from California as fast as they can and leave it to the idiots.

I think they have all moved to AZ and NV.  I know all the businesses have.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2008, 12:52:13 PM »

it will be on the ballot in november?  this is a good thingy;  this will drive our base to the polls in
droves.

in reading the DU thread, they seem to think its a slam dunk since their state supreme court just barely went their way.

but they seem to either dont know, or have forgotten, that the public already voted this down already by a pretty hefty percentage - unless their side is going to overstuff ballot boxes like my state does.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2008, 12:55:16 PM »

it will be on the ballot in november?  this is a good thingy;  this will drive our base to the polls in
droves.

Agreed--and if McCain plays this one right, he'll win California.

I have seen other completely sane people (:wink:) say that this is possible, too.  I suppose mccain
is sufficiently moderate/swartzenegger-like, and obama had obvious problems with hispanics
and asians in the primaries.

I would still fall over from the shock if it actually happened.

I had no idea Obama had such a problem in the Latino communities - those people will not vote for him, no matter what. Until Puerto Rico this past weekend, I was not aware that the black/latino communities are so racially divided against each other.

Of course, being a whitey, me and all other whities will get the blame for all the racism if Obama doesnt win.  :whatever:

Offline Lauri

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2008, 12:56:19 PM »

a lot of them have, but they are being replaced at a rate of 2:1 by illegals.

and hollyweird.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2008, 12:57:27 PM »

droves.

in reading the DU thread, they seem to think its a slam dunk since their state supreme court just barely went their way.

but they seem to either dont know, or have forgotten, that the public already voted this down already by a pretty hefty percentage - unless their side is going to overstuff ballot boxes like my state does.

I see dead people . . . voting.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2008, 12:59:49 PM »

droves.

I have seen other completely sane people (:wink:) say that this is possible, too.  I suppose mccain
is sufficiently moderate/swartzenegger-like, and obama had obvious problems with hispanics

I had no idea Obama had such a problem in the Latino communities - those people will not vote for him, no matter what. Until Puerto Rico this past weekend, I was not aware that the black/latino communities are so racially divided against each other.

Of course, being a whitey, me and all other whities will get the blame for all the racism if Obama doesnt win.  :whatever:

I thought it really became obvious for the first time in CA.  I forget what the exits looked like, but they were alarming for BHO.  of course, that is when the alternative to obama was hillary, not mccain.  even though he is as soft as a marshmallow on immigration, I'm not sure that will actually translate to anything at the ballot box.

it's even more pronounced with asians.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2008, 01:03:35 PM »
which makes me think that the conservative Dems wont have a problem at all voting for McCain, if Obama is their only choice.

this thing is going to be pretty bloody for Obama... and instead of it being about his own opinions and political ideas, it will be focused on our racism as a country.

and the Dems will beat that dead horse for another 40 years.  :whatever:

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2008, 01:06:41 PM »
which makes me think that the conservative Dems wont have a problem at all voting for McCain, if Obama is their only choice.

this thing is going to be pretty bloody for Obama... and instead of it being about his own opinions and political ideas, it will be focused on our racism as a country.

and the Dems will beat that dead horse for another 40 years.  :whatever:

there is another dynamic at work, I think.  I wonder how many voters can be compelled to vote for BHO because they become indoctrinated by the MSM that to vote against him is racist, in and of itself.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2008, 01:25:52 PM »

droves.

Obama's problems with Latinos, and the fact that McCain was the point man for immigration reform (it died, but he was for it) are going to sit rather well with the growing Latino voting bloc.  They don't forget things like that.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2008, 01:31:17 PM »

droves.

Obama's problems with Latinos, and the fact that McCain was the point man for immigration reform (it died, but he was for it) are going to sit rather well with the growing Latino voting bloc.  They don't forget things like that.

they also don't forget that he has an (R) next to his name.  although bush did get 45% of the latino vote in 2004, if memory serves.

Offline VivisMom

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2008, 01:31:38 PM »

droves.

I didn't know that either, until I taught in a school that was 97% black. The kids used to call all Asians 'chinks' and all Hispanics 'spics.' None of them understood that those words were seen to be as offensive as '******.'

I'd be shocked if Obama won any states that have a heavy Latino or Asian population.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2008, 01:55:05 PM »

droves.

I didn't know that either, until I taught in a school that was 97% black. The kids used to call all Asians 'chinks' and all Hispanics 'spics.' None of them understood that those words were seen to be as offensive as '******.'

I'd be shocked if Obama won any states that have a heavy Latino or Asian population.

and that is the point Hilary has been trying to make the past few months: Obama hasnt carried any of them, she has.

but if you look closely at *why* she is carrying them, it appears that its because she is more centrist and conservative.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2008, 01:56:34 PM »

droves.

and that is the point Hilary has been trying to make the past few months: Obama hasnt carried any of them, she has.

but if you look closely at *why* she is carrying them, it appears that its because she is more centrist and conservative.

it would be hard to be less centrist and conservative than BHO, the guy that wants to hike capital gains tax because of "fairness".

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2008, 02:13:03 PM »

No, it is because she is not Black. 

Like some folks have pointed out, the Blacks and Latinos have been really going at it for the last 5-10 years.  Basically, welfare and entitlements and largess (such as government jobs) are seen as a zero-sum game, which used to be dominated by Blacks are now being taken over by Latinos.  This is mostly a rsult of demographics -- Blacks have remained a stable 11-12% of the population (from killing themselves in the womb), whereas the US Latino population is growing. 

Today in L.A., most traditional "Black" communities, like South Central, are now pretty much all Latino.

* quote tags fixed by WE *
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 02:22:20 PM by Wretched Excess »

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2008, 02:14:53 PM »
Wasn't this ban approved by the voters already? and didn't the Kalifornia Supreme Court overturn the will of the people? What will keep them from doing it again?

The previous vote was in favor of legislation prohibiting gay marriage.  This one puts it into the state's Constitution.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2008, 03:14:16 PM »

No, it is because she is not Black. 

Like some folks have pointed out, the Blacks and Latinos have been really going at it for the last 5-10 years.  Basically, welfare and entitlements and largess (such as government jobs) are seen as a zero-sum game, which used to be dominated by Blacks are now being taken over by Latinos.  This is mostly a rsult of demographics -- Blacks have remained a stable 11-12% of the population (from killing themselves in the womb), whereas the US Latino population is growing. 

Today in L.A., most traditional "Black" communities, like South Central, are now pretty much all Latino.

* quote tags fixed by WE *

ok, i will defer to your info... i honestly dont know much about the black or latino voting intricacies.. suffice it to say, with that many latinos in the country, I think Obama is pretty well cooked. California, Arizona and Texas alone wont have a choice if they vote so solidly together.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2008, 03:36:36 PM »

Evidently not ..... The only word the filter took out and replaced with '******' was ******.  Spic and chink didn't get replaced ....    :mental:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2008, 03:39:30 PM »

Evidently not ..... The only word the filter took out and replaced with '******' was ******.  Spic and chink didn't get replaced ....    :mental:

KC

offensive terms are highly subjective.  "spic" and "chink" just haven't made it to the censored word list yet.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2008, 03:49:03 PM »

KC

offensive terms are highly subjective.  "spic" and "chink" just haven't made it to the censored word list yet.

So what you are saying is that; All words are equal but some words are more equal than others. 

Imagine that.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2008, 03:51:48 PM »

KC

So what you are saying is that; All words are equal but some words are more equal than others. 

Imagine that.

KC

no, I am saying it's about more than pointless bitching.  are you requesting that "spic" and "chink" be added to the censored word list?

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2008, 03:52:01 PM »

Imagine that.

KC

You try putting your name on a board that allows racial terms to be used freely and see if you can financially withstand the juggernaut that is the minority-stroking media. I'd rather keep my money and not have to fight a bunch of f'n liberals in a slander, racism, or defamation suit.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2008, 06:09:33 PM »

KC

Imagine that.

KC

no, I am saying it's about more than pointless bitching.  are you requesting that "spic" and "chink" be added to the censored word list?

You have obviously misunderstood me.  It is hard to convey a lot of stuff over the internet using the typed word.  I don't think ANY word should be censored.  While I don't condone the use of the word ****** I don't think it is any worse than spic or chink or kike or (insert your ethnic slur of choice).

I have seen people try to ban words in real life and I think it is one of the most horrible things I have ever seen.  It is nothing more or less egregious than those who would ban books.

Free speech means free speech and with it comes tremendous responsibility on the part of each of us.

I don't have the filter turned on on my account and the only way I knew it was filtered was Lauri's post below it.  I simply found it odd that that one word was filtered.  Are there any OTHER ethnic slurs filtered?  It is nothing more than a curiosity to me.  It is interesting how that one word has gained such notoriety when so many of those who use it are black.

KC

*Stolen

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2008, 06:14:24 PM »

I think they have all moved to AZ and NV.  I know all the businesses have.
Quite a few of their high-tech businesses moved to Texas...Dallas, Austin, and Houston.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2008, 06:14:44 PM »

Imagine that.

KC

You try putting your name on a board that allows racial terms to be used freely and see if you can financially withstand the juggernaut that is the minority-stroking media. I'd rather keep my money and not have to fight a bunch of f'n liberals in a slander, racism, or defamation suit.

I have no problem with what you are saying and as it stands .... I am probably one of the most PUBLIC folks on this board.  I pick and choose carefully what I say and to whom I say it for this reason.  I simply think it odd that that one word was 'censored' by the filter.

If someone who has their filter on would be so kind as to respond to my post I would love to see if whitey is censored.  Cracker, honky, wasp, ..... any others?

Rebel, what I'm saying is I found it interesting that the only racial slur of 3 posted that was filtered was ******.  I don't care what people are typing.  I think they should exercise caution and common sense but I don't care what they type.  What would be interesting to know is what racial slurs are censored.

For the rest of my explanation see the post above.

KC

*Stolen