Author Topic: Gay marriage ban qualifies for California ballot  (Read 7800 times)

Offline Lord Undies

Gay marriage ban qualifies for California ballot
« on: June 03, 2008, 08:26:56 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x3336059

PageOneQ  (211 posts)        Mon Jun-02-08 10:29 PM
Original message
Gay marriage ban qualifies for California ballot
   Advertisements [?]

Source: Associated Press

An initiative that would again outlaw gay marriage in California has qualified for the November ballot, the Secretary of State announced Monday.

California Secretary of State Debra Bowen said a random check of signatures submitted by the measure's sponsors showed that they had gathered enough names for it to be put to voters.

The measure would amend the state constitution to "provide that only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California."

Read more: http://pageoneq.com/news/2008/Marriage_initiative_quali...

Oh, all the 12 steps of grief and the two-step of denial are on the dance floor at this Meeting-of-the-Mindless Ball. 

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Gay marriage ban qualifies for California ballot
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 08:29:58 AM »
Oh my.

proud patriot  Lead Moderator Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Mon Jun-02-08 10:30 PM
Response to Original message

1. crap

One gets sort of a vague idea the primitives don't like democracy.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 08:44:16 AM »

They're all for direct democracy, as seen in your "Primitives Boast Their Lack of Knowledge" thread, when it suits their needs. If it's an issue that the majority disagree with them on, then it's something that should be decided by "other" people because clearly, the people just don't know what's good for them like the DUmmies do.  :whatever:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Lauri

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 08:46:04 AM »

They're all for direct democracy, as seen in your "Primitives Boast Their Lack of Knowledge" thread, when it suits their needs. If it's an issue that the majority disagree with them on, then it's something that should be decided by "other" people because clearly, the people just don't know what's good for them like the DUmmies do.  :whatever:

didnt the people of California already vote on this? and they voted it down?

now they have to vote against the legislature they voted into office?

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 08:47:40 AM »

Yes, and gay marriage will be voted down again.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 08:55:11 AM »

I know a dirty little secret about DUmmies and their ilk.  They don't give a damn about "gay marriage".  Their support for the cause does not spring from love for their homosexual brothers and sisters.  They have no higher ideas about equality for all.  

The DUmmies' crusade for homosexual marriage is born from hate, just like all their causes.  Their hate of Christianity, the United States, normality, decency, morality, and life itself is their driving force.  But they lie and deceive and paint their black hearts red in order to appear righteous in their support of evil.  They lie to themselves and to each other.  

Offline Lauri

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 08:57:07 AM »
"In my view, California should allow our gay and lesbian neighbors to call their unions marriage," Justice Carol A. Corrigan wrote in the first sentence of her dissent.

"But I, and this court, must acknowledge that a majority of Californians hold a different view and have explicitly said so by their vote. This court can overrule a vote of the people only if the Constitution compels us to do so. Here, the Constitution does not."

Justice Marvin R. Baxter, joined by Justice Ming W. Chin, said the ruling "creates the opportunity for further judicial extension of this perceived constitutional right into dangerous territory."

"Who can say that in 10, 15 or 20 years, an activist court might not rely on the majority's analysis to conclude, on the basis of a perceived evolution in community values, that the laws prohibiting polygamous and incestuous marriages were no longer constitutionally justified?" Baxter wrote.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-gaymarriage16-2008may16,0,6182317.story?page=2

Offline Lauri

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 08:58:52 AM »
City officials chose the first couples to wed, hoping their long unions and sympathetic stories would put a face on same-sex marriage that courts would find difficult to reject. The city also decided to begin the weddings on a day when courts were closed to deprive opponents of quick legal intervention. One of the first couples to wed has since separated.

so, the city officials chose the first couples to wed? that doesnt sound very progressive to me..

Offline jukin

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 09:10:41 AM »

Yes TWICE the people of california have spoken by landslides but that does not matter to our rulers in black.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 09:12:29 AM »

Yes TWICE the people of california have spoken by landslides but that does not matter to our rulers in black.

its interesting to me that every state keeps voting it down by large percentages and yet - the courts keep forcing it back into the mix.

how many times does a population have to vote it down before the Supreme Court says 'enough!' ...?

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 09:27:34 AM »
I know a dirty little secret about DUmmies and their ilk.  They don't give a damn about "gay marriage".  Their support for the cause does not spring from love for their homosexual brothers and sisters.  They have no higher ideas about equality for all. 

The DUmmies' crusade for homosexual marriage is born from hate, just like all their causes.  Their hate of Christianity, the United States, normality, decency, morality, and life itself is their driving force.  But they lie and deceive and paint their black hearts red in order to appear righteous in their support of evil.  They lie to themselves and to each other.

You're reading Sigmund Freud too, huh?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Lauri

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 09:32:53 AM »
from the DU thread:

marshall 
58. I trust the people

In the end they will make the proper choice. That's what it's all about.

the people already voted on this - do you still trust them since they voted the other way?  :popcorn:

Offline Lauri

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 09:35:11 AM »
another truism from the thread at DU:

YvonneCa 
35. The problem is that this is what happened in the 2004 election. Gay marriage on the ballot brings out the Republican base to DEFEAT THE DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENTIAL candidate. In 2004 they used it in swing states...in 2008, it's California.

It's important to defeat it, but it will lead to a higher turnout of Repubs in California in November. :(

well, that just sucks! down with the voters!

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 09:37:44 AM »
I know a dirty little secret about DUmmies and their ilk.  They don't give a damn about "gay marriage".  Their support for the cause does not spring from love for their homosexual brothers and sisters.  They have no higher ideas about equality for all. 

The DUmmies' crusade for homosexual marriage is born from hate, just like all their causes.  Their hate of Christianity, the United States, normality, decency, morality, and life itself is their driving force.  But they lie and deceive and paint their black hearts red in order to appear righteous in their support of evil.  They lie to themselves and to each other.

I have read very little Freud.  He and I have (had) the same gut instincts about humanity.  That's the dirty little secret about Freud.  Formal education was not the foundation of his observations or legacy.  It was gut instinct and a talent for expressing himself.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 10:54:11 AM »
It always amazes me how they try to turn this into EQUAL rights when in fact it is about SPECIAL rights.  The gays have the exact same right to marry that I do.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline jukin

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 11:58:55 AM »
It always amazes me how they try to turn this into EQUAL rights when in fact it is about SPECIAL rights.  The gays have the exact same right to marry that I do.

KC

Yes, we have gone from majority rule to the tyranny of rule by the minority.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 12:01:50 PM »

I have read very little Freud.  He and I have (had) the same gut instincts about humanity.  That's the dirty little secret about Freud.  Formal education was not the foundation of his observations or legacy.  It was gut instinct and a talent for expressing himself.

I think it was actually all the cocaine.  srsly.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 12:03:17 PM »

it will be on the ballot in november?  this is a good thingy;  this will drive our base to the polls in
droves.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 12:05:12 PM »

it will be on the ballot in november?  this is a good thingy;  this will drive our base to the polls in
droves.

...and it will drain money from the liberal advertising campaign for Obamalamadingdong their candidate.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 12:05:42 PM »

droves.

Agreed--and if McCain plays this one right, he'll win California.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 12:08:28 PM »

droves.

...and it will be most entertaining to watch 'ol Bug-eyed Bella Pelosi explode.   :popcorn:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2008, 12:10:01 PM »

droves.

I have seen other completely sane people (:wink:) say that this is possible, too.  I suppose mccain
is sufficiently moderate/swartzenegger-like, and obama had obvious problems with hispanics
and asians in the primaries.

I would still fall over from the shock if it actually happened.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2008, 12:10:33 PM »

droves.

...and it will be most entertaining to watch 'ol Bug-eyed Bella Pelosi explode.   :popcorn:

not to mention barbara's boxers.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2008, 12:26:40 PM »
Yes, we have gone from majority rule to the tyranny of rule by the minority.

We've never been based on the rule of the majority. We're a country that's "supposed" to be based on the rule of law. Unfortunately, the DUmptools have no understanding of the reasons for the founding of this country.

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2008, 12:36:50 PM »
Wasn't this ban approved by the voters already? and didn't the Kalifornia Supreme Court overturn the will of the people? What will keep them from doing it again?

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".