Author Topic: Another moron borrows > $100K for an undergrad degree  (Read 2126 times)

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: Another moron borrows > $100K for an undergrad degree
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 04:43:17 PM »
True, but I don't think the young lady in the story had any connection to DU...though she doesn't seem to be big on thinking ahead, either, so you never know...
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Ogre

• What Cat?
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2012, 04:46:11 PM »
True, but I don't think the young lady in the story had any connection to DU...though she doesn't seem to be big on thinking ahead, either, so you never know...

She just doesn't know DU exists yet.  With her forward thinking skills, or lack there of, she would fit right in!
"Don't argue about difficulties. The difficulties will argue for themselves."  - Winston Churchill

"Get some lumber, build a bridge, and get the hell over it" - Unknown

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2012, 05:19:42 PM »
Why is it primitives are all for state schools until they attend college themselves? then its private & Ivy League all the way...

Offline longview

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2012, 05:24:54 PM »
I don't buy her story.  Or, rather, I don't buy the story the way it is reported.

When you get a student loan, you are supposed to attend a loan counseling session.  The lender needs the borrower(s) signature(s) on file that they have attended such a session.  Even if no one speaks to the borrowers, the paper they sign has the costs of the loan on it. 

There is also a law regarding truth in lending, or some such.  That document, too, has all the costs associated with the money being borrowed on it.  Including total payoff if paid at the agreed rate.

Offline Traveshamockery

• Nana to Kyle and Garrett
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2012, 05:27:30 PM »
My son went to a state school as well and graduated three years ago.  It ended up being about $6,000.00 per year and he actually got an education in a field where he could actually get a job.  He lived at home as well. 

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2012, 05:39:10 PM »
I'll brag a little- two generations of college education here, with zero debt.

Me: Montgomery GI Bill and tuition assistance from the Army National Guard.

My son, who graduates at the end of the summer term: Part paid for by my ex-wife's transferred Post-9/11 GI Bill, and the rest paid by me. He plans to join the Army after he graduates.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2012, 06:42:08 PM »
DUmbass should have gone to a state school. I graduated with my Bachelors this past weekend and have about $15,000 in loans over 4 years. That's what I get for enlisting and using my GI Bill and Hazlewood benefits for most of it.

Hint, hint, DUmbass.

Congratulations.  :cheersmate:

I went the military, GI Bill route. Small school as well. I just wish that the SOB's insisted on making me a better typist. :lmao: (probably help if I take the damn thing off of my thigh.)

I was married and had a child so a little extra $$$ there. (The woman trapped me and I did the honorable thing and married her. O-)  )
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2012, 07:10:09 PM »
Why is it primitives are all for state schools until they attend college themselves? then its private & Ivy League all the way...

Cause they are oh soo enlightened and oh soo smart and oh soo better than to go to some college where the riffraff attend.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2012, 08:35:29 PM »
I don't buy her story.  Or, rather, I don't buy the story the way it is reported.

When you get a student loan, you are supposed to attend a loan counseling session.  The lender needs the borrower(s) signature(s) on file that they have attended such a session.  Even if no one speaks to the borrowers, the paper they sign has the costs of the loan on it. 

There is also a law regarding truth in lending, or some such.  That document, too, has all the costs associated with the money being borrowed on it.  Including total payoff if paid at the agreed rate.

I agree, but for a different reason.

I've done mortgage loans for over 20 years and have never seen a Sallie Mae (or other student loan) payment at $900 month, even years after the person had graduated and definately not in the few years after graduation.  Something in that story isn't right.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2012, 08:20:44 AM »
Currently attending school with post 9/11 GI bill and Pell grant. BAH covers the expenses and the money from the Pell takes care of any extras. My school is yellow ribbon so the Pell gets sent back to me. Will be a debt free grad next year.
Proud Navy Wife and Veteran

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline Karin

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2012, 08:38:44 AM »
And there's a DUmmie on their thread lamenting about her daughter.  Daughter takes classes, blows them off, doesn't take them seriously, and flunks them.  There's money down the toilet.  Now she has to re-take them.  What on earth would you guys do if your kid pulled that?  This DUmmie daughter must be used to everything free, and so doesn't have the mindset that she has paid good money for something of value, and should therefore maximize it. 

I knew a guy, a big liberal democrat, his son had a GPA in college of 1.5.  I asked the guy, "why aren't you kicking him in the ass??!"  He said, "oh, i guess i should........"  Expensive ****ing Cornell education, and the guy partied through all of it.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2012, 08:41:01 AM »
And there's a DUmmie on their thread lamenting about her daughter.  Daughter takes classes, blows them off, doesn't take them seriously, and flunks them.  There's money down the toilet.  Now she has to re-take them.  What on earth would you guys do if your kid pulled that?  This DUmmie daughter must be used to everything free, and so doesn't have the mindset that she has paid good money for something of value, and should therefore maximize it. 

I knew a guy, a big liberal democrat, his son had a GPA in college of 1.5.  I asked the guy, "why aren't you kicking him in the ass??!"  He said, "oh, i guess i should........"  Expensive ****ing Cornell education, and the guy partied through all of it.

My kids get one shot at something if I pay for it.  They don't find it important enough the first time and blow it off then they are screwed.  That woman's daughter is just a user and lazy.

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2012, 09:10:38 AM »
Failure can be a learning experience too, the big watershed is whether the student learns from it, regroups, and moves on, or decides that he or she likes failing.  In the latter case, they probably have a future in fast food or a union job.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline VivisMom

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »

I know that for me, it took me paying for all of it to be the kick in the ass I needed.

College was one big party. I failed classes, had to take summer classes to graduate in 4 years. My parents were pissed! However, when I went back to grad school, the loans were all in my name and I was sure as hell going to get my money's worth! It took me awhile to realize the value of education, and how lucky I was my parents paid for my schooling-elementary through college.

I'm hoping my kids don't need to learn that lesson, but since Vivi is just like her momma...yeah. Not looking good.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2012, 09:42:40 AM »
My kids get one shot at something if I pay for it.  They don't find it important enough the first time and blow it off then they are screwed.  That woman's daughter is just a user and lazy.

But, the woman is worse for allowing the behavior.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2012, 10:10:54 AM »

Does the school even allow you to continue with a 1.5GPA?  At Northeastern you would be on probation and if you did not pick up the GPA they kicked you out.

NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2012, 10:27:15 AM »

The more I read from DUmmies, the more I realize how hard I've worked. Wow, I thought I was just plain normal.

I have a PhD. I went to state schools with no scholarships or grants. I borrowed a total of $44,000 over 10 years, most of which I didn't even need, but merely wanted. I worked my ass off in undergrad and got a teaching assistantship in grad school, and supplemented that income with loans. And lurking DUmbasses, not only did I not have any help from my poor parents, but I SENT THEM MONEY FROM MY LOANS TO HELP THEM OUT. I had no military background or anything else to help defray the costs.

Around 7 years ago or so I cut one check and paid them all off at once. Plus the $15K my wife owed from HER education. I earned that money applying the skills I developed over 10 years of hard work in school in a marketable degree program.

So I have zero sympathy for people who treat college as a consumption good, and borrow to consume it. Go to a trade school or get a job to pay your tuition.

Assholes.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2012, 10:39:39 AM »
     The more I read from DUmmies, the more I realize how hard I've worked. Wow, I thought I was just plain normal.

I have a PhD. I went to state schools with no scholarships or grants. I borrowed a total of $44,000 over 10 years, most of which I didn't even need, but merely wanted. I worked my ass off in undergrad and got a teaching assistantship in grad school, and supplemented that income with loans. And lurking DUmbasses, not only did I not have any help from my poor parents, but I SENT THEM MONEY FROM MY LOANS TO HELP THEM OUT. I had no military background or anything else to help defray the costs.

Around 7 years ago or so I cut one check and paid them all off at once. Plus the $15K my wife owed from HER education. I earned that money applying the skills I developed over 10 years of hard work in school in a marketable degree program.

So I have zero sympathy for people who treat college as a consumption good, and borrow to consume it. Go to a trade school or get a job to pay your tuition.

Assholes.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

And the H5.  Damned good job, BFDU.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2012, 10:59:31 AM »
I agree, but for a different reason.

I've done mortgage loans for over 20 years and have never seen a Sallie Mae (or other student loan) payment at $900 month, even years after the person had graduated and definately not in the few years after graduation.  Something in that story isn't right.

I crunched some numbers.  $100K for 12 years at 3.9 percent interest comes out to $870/month.

I'm still trying to figure out how someone got that much in loans for a four-year degree.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2012, 11:15:50 AM »

Assholes.

a smart and frugal man is very sexy  :naughty:  Congratulations on being a MAN!  Thank you for your contribution to society and not like those willful deadbeats.

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2012, 11:16:32 AM »

I'm hoping my kids don't need to learn that lesson, but since Vivi is just like her momma...yeah. Not looking good.

does your tongue hang out too?   :lmao:

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2012, 11:30:42 AM »
a smart and frugal man is very sexy  :naughty:  Congratulations on being a MAN!  Thank you for your contribution to society and not like those willful deadbeats.

Those are kind words, but I am not exactly frugal. I have a watch collection that borders on the completely gay.

But yes, I am a man. I will cop that that.  :-)
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline cclanofirish

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2012, 12:43:50 PM »

Same story...somewhat ;) I graduated wiith a degree in Forensic Chemistry but now work as an IT technician. I will have paid off almost 70,000 of student loans in 5 years ( I will be finished November/December of this year). I've had to live with my parents and sacrifice on many things I've wanted, but I knew I needed to get out from under the debt. Private schools are expensive, but I don't regret the investment. 

Assholes.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2012, 12:48:49 PM »
Can I just say it's nice to know yall belong here?  I don't have to listen to people whine about their debt like they do at the DUmp? 

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2012, 12:52:27 PM »
Can I just say it's nice to know yall belong here?  I don't have to listen to people whine about their debt like they do at the DUmp? 
As you know, Dave Ramsey doesn't approve of debt. The borrower is slave to the lender. I have no consumer debt in my family. Once the house is paid of in the next 2 to 3 years, I will be entirely debt free. Not to mention having all the baby steps checked off. that's how Ramsey likes it.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.