Author Topic: gigantic primitive says he's poor  (Read 3297 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
gigantic primitive says he's poor
« on: December 11, 2011, 03:11:14 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/12403322

Oh my.

The often-absent gigantic primitive; one wonders if he's got a job yet.

Systematic Chaos (6,974 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail

$40 or more per year just to be able to use the legacy DU2-style format here?

What a complete joke.

Sorry my wife and I are ****ing poor.

That is all.

Awsi Dooger (9,351 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail

1. Agreed, I was astonished at the audacity

And mentioned it on DU2 almost immediately after trying to switch to Classic on DU3, only to be rebuffed. A long time DUer replied, "That sucks," adding, "the default scrunched up view is pure suckage..."

I've occasionally disagreed with tombstones or minor decisions, and now the Jury system, but never questioned motives of the higher ups. This move is like a corporate dagger, a board room, "Can we really get away with that?," and decency is tossed out the window when the conclusion is yes. There's a new thread on DU2 GD right now, expressing dismay that, "DU2 was far easier to read. DU3 strains my eyes."

In one respect it's a hilarious concession that the default format is dreadful when only paying members can escape.

One benefit of star free is we're only allowed to be scared of 5 people within the Jury system, while paying members are petrified of 15.

Maybe there's a buy option for bundles above 15, like in sports betting where you can pay an extra 10 cents juice for 1/2 point.

This won't be popular. Jolts can be necessary, particularly on startup. With hundreds of decisions not every one will be the correct call. I'll take the hit.

Bolo Boffin (19,517 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail

2. When the admins announced the end of the fundraisers they said it was because they had other reliable ways of getting revenue, and I don't think the Star Memberships were one of those. Ads or even selling this new forum software will probably be all they need.

So if you don't think a star is worth what you get, don't worry about it. DU will still be here if you want to post.

woo me with science (12,718 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail

3. Are you serious?

You can't get Classic view unless you pay?

I hadn't heard that before. Are you sure?

in_cog_ni_to (36,829 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail

5. I don't think that's true. During the preview

I changed mine to Classic from Standard and I wasn't a paying member at that time. Someone gave me a Star 2 days ago, after I changed to "Classic" format here.

Unless that option was available during the preview and not upon launch.

6. I hope you're right. I'm seeing conflicting messages about this.

People in this thread seem certain of the opposite: http://www.democraticunderground.com/12403602

18. OMG

That's so not good.

seabeyond (64,833 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail

7. i think it is true. you and i having a star allows us to

before with preview we were all treated with stars. i started a thread on changing to classic and i was told by another duer they couldnt if they didnt have a star

17. Ooooooh.....so everyone had access to all functions with the preview? Damn...

I didn't know that. 

Man, that sucks for people who can't afford to donate.  The Standard format IS NOT GOOD, IMCPO, of course. 

frazzled (6,729 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail

9. I'm confused

There is no difference when I click the "classic" vs. the "standard" view. I have a star. Is it because I did not donate more than $40?

ladywnch (2,459 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail

13. yes, virginia it is true.

I tired resetting the format during the test period and it did allow me to change the settings.....not that they did anything....everything remained the same.

Since the live cut over I've gone back out to reset those setting yet again only to find the following text:

Preferred format for regular web browsers (Star Members only)

it will not allow you to even select the 'classic' format unles you are a star member.

so yes, it is $40 to get out of version hell.

4. Way to drive people away.

KittyWampus (41,385 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail

8. Ah, so you answered my question as to the butt-ugly format. It only goes away if you spend $40.

BoWanZi (488 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail

10. This is my first REAL bitch with DU3. I'm poor too and can't afford the stupid 40 dollars a year

but really? Layout changes are a premium feature? God, that just stinks.

ALL of the other forums I belong to and that is roughly about 30 of them, allow for skin/layout changes and do not require you to pay for a premium membership to do so. Quite a few of my other forums do have pay for memberships but don't attach simple options such as layout options to the pay-for memberships.

This just flat out stinks. And I had just touted how nice the classic layout was when I changed it like 3 days ago. I was HAPPy with DU3 at that point.

Blech.

frazzled (6,729 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail

11. Wait, it's worse: if star members don't like you and you have had threads "hidden" you find under your Profile, clicking the transparency tab, a listing of how many people with star memberships are avoiding you or ignoring you! It's just like high school: "nobody likes you so go away!" (Go to your own profile and check this.)

I find that revolting, really. Adding together the membership perks with this ability to diss non-"star" members who are not "liked," this is truly like rule of the elite. And please note: I don't think you have to be a disruptor to have star members gang up on you. You may just not have ideas that are popular with the kool kidz.

My Profile: Transparency
This profile page may contain public information. See below for details.

Transparency Status

Information on my Transparency page is currently not displayed to other logged-in members because I have had fewer than five posts hidden by Jury in the last 90 days.

My posts hidden by Jury in the last 90 days: 0
Days since last hidden post: Never
Member Feedback

Number of Star members avoiding me: coming soon
Number of Star members ignoring me (including members avoiding): coming soon
Number of Star members blocking mail from me (including members ignoring and avoiding): coming soon

Learn more about Star memberships

Posts Hidden by Jury (last 90 days)

My posts hidden by Jury: 0
Total posts: 6
Percentage of my posts hidden: 0%

Post title Jury decision Date posted
Main
Announcements
Latest Breaking News

emcguffie (1,827 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail

12. The star I currently have was given to me.

I can't afford to pay to play, either.

emcguffie (1,827 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail

14. On second thought, I don't even know what you're talking about.

Where can one choose what format one is seeing?

I don't know anything about that

Thanks for any info

15. Directions here.

It will make the format look a little more like it did in DU2, using the entire width of the page.

However, it is apparently available only to those who pony up $42.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/12403602

Huey P. Long (1,130 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail

16. That was the plan all along. Pay up, or get force fed skinny columns with the remaining space filled with Ads....and like it.

femrap (12,511 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail

19. Why does the print have to be so small? I now have a headache from reading such small print.

I guess the 'over 40 crowd' is no longer needed here.

Any other good web sites for progressives besides Daily Kos??

Too bad for the primitives.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
Re: gigantic primitive says he's poor
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 03:28:40 PM »
Skimmer simply doesn't love the DUmmies who won't pay up. I wonder why that is.

You aren't all equal, DUmbasses! Star DUmmies are superior to deadbeat DUmmies! Star DUmmies get privileges!

If you think they're bitching now, just wait til their cheap stars expire.

Offline shadeaux

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 04:08:01 PM »
Come star expiration, that place will be hilarious !

The affluent neighborhoods vs. the urban ghettos.

I can't wait !     :rotf:

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 04:42:41 PM »
Sun Dec 11, 2011, 05:10 PM

Systematic Chaos (6,975 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail
20. You should be able to enlarge the text

View profile
Under your browser's Option tab -- or somewhere similar -- should be a command to "zoom in/out" or "change text size" or something to that effect.

For what it's worth, I am getting used to the new format. But I'm still miffed that the required amount of money to keep a star is now so much compared to what it used to be.

When I had the funds to donate to this site, I never went under $25 per year. Once I had to rely on donations, I would imagine that the anonymous people who helped me pitched in $5 or $10. Not a ton of money but decent when multiplied by thousands, and there probably were a couple thousand of us who were blessed with donated stars.

If my wife can ever find work in this disgusting Las Vegas (lack of a) job market, the $5 monthly option would be easy enough to cover. But that won't change a thing for the folks around here who are trying to live on less than $1,000 per month and can barely afford food, shelter and a low-end internet connection.

Keeping to quarterly fund drives would have been a much better idea, IMO.

I didn't realize that the Las Vegas Leviathan had that many posts.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 04:44:07 PM »
I didn't realize that the Las Vegas Leviathan had that many posts.

Whoa.

Wait.

What?

The gigantic primitive's not looking for a job himself?

apres moi, le deluge

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 04:46:51 PM »
The United States of America, the only country where the poor are morbidly obese.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 04:49:54 PM »
I have to give skins credit,always thought he was above the primitives but to take an insane posting format filled with cluster ****s and then cluster **** it even more takes a special brand of stupid.

Way to go skins!  :cheersmate:

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 04:56:41 PM »
Somebody married him?

emcguffie (1,828 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail

12. The star I currently have was given to me.

I can't afford to pay to play, either

They should beg Calpeg again, she's a soft (in the head) target.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 04:58:11 PM »
I'm loving how the children of DU are throwing such a fit over all this.  :rotf:
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Minky

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 04:59:18 PM »
Do these people not understand that although they have the freedom to post whatever crazy stuff they want on the internet, it doesn't mean it's free to do so? For hell's sakes, it costs money to have that many freaks in one place.

I support anyone who has the patience to deal with that stuff the ability to make loads of cash in compensation. Also, when making changes that seem to be positive, it will usually result in people bitching about something. Some people just don't deal with change well. I think DU is an ugly website. I hate the threaded forums and would prefer to read flat. I'm sure I will eventually have to register to see those kinds of options though.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 04:59:49 PM »
I'm loving how the children of DU are throwing such a fit over all this.  :rotf:

In the meantime, decent and civilized people apparently aren't having many problems.

I refer you, sir, to notADUmmie's thread here in the DUmpster, about problems with DU3.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 05:03:14 PM »
Do these people not understand that although they have the freedom to post whatever crazy stuff they want on the internet, it doesn't mean it's free to do so? For hell's sakes, it costs money to have that many freaks in one place.

Primitives think everything would be free if "other people" weren't so greedy.

I support anyone who has the patience to deal with that stuff the ability to make loads of cash in compensation.

Mine's a minority opinion here, but I think my fellow alum Skins and the elusive enigmatic Elad don't pay themselves nearly enough to make up for having to deal with the neuroses and psychoses of the primitives, and wish they'd keep milking the primitives for all they can get.  They truly deserve it, and more.

Also, when making changes that seem to be positive, it will usually result in people bitching about something. Some people just don't deal with change well.

That's one of the primary characteristics of primitivity, madam; the inability to cope with change.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Minky

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 05:07:29 PM »
In the eyes of a DUmmie, it could be considered hypocritical to pay yourself back for hard work, dedication, and providing a safe place to spew hate and ignorance.

I respect it greatly though, but that's just me. :)

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 05:12:50 PM »
In the eyes of a DUmmie, it could be considered hypocritical to pay yourself back for hard work, dedication, and providing a safe place to spew hate and ignorance.

I respect it greatly though, but that's just me. :)

I dunno if you know the history of Skins's island, but anyway, after the elections of 2000, the Democrats got their heads together, and figured they'd been losing elections because their fringe elements made the Democrats in general look bad.

Skins was out of a job--his congressman had run for governor of Michigan in the Democrat primary there, and lost, and was no longer in Congress--and as my fellow alum's a good party man willing to take one for the team, he was hired to set up a special place so as to identify, attract, and segregate the fringe elements of the Democrat party from the public eye.

Sort of like the way Crazy Aunt Mamie or Retarded Cousin Johnny used to be stuffed up in the attic.

It was a good idea, setting up Skins's island so as to collect all the loonies and rabid extremists and moonbats and crazies.....but it probably should've been done in real life in a real-life big building with small rooms and soft walls, rather than on the public internet.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Minky

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 05:16:05 PM »
So they encouraged them to come to one place to keep them out of the public eye, but made it open for all to see? Seriously, I feel as if they're in a fishbowl and I'm walking around the fishbowl tapping at the glass just to see their reactions.

Am I losing something in the translation here?

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 05:18:11 PM »
So they encouraged them to come to one place to keep them out of the public eye, but made it open for all to see? Seriously, I feel as if they're in a fishbowl and I'm walking around the fishbowl tapping at the glass just to see their reactions.

Am I losing something in the translation here?

No, you're not losing anything.

It's just that Democrats, liberals, and primitives tend to think things only halfway through, and then they stop thinking.

They accomplished their objective of identifying, attracting, and segregating the less-sane elements of the Democrat party.....and then stopped thinking.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline Minky

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 05:21:40 PM »
As I just said in a PM to you;

Now I'm picturing all of those [DUmmie] posters walking around in circles, banging the backs of their wrists against their chests, slobbering, and bumping into padded walls.  :rotf:

Has someone published a book on this yet? I need to download it to my Kindle immediately.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 05:22:38 PM »
Systematic Chaos (6,974 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail

$40 or more per year just to be able to use the legacy DU2-style format here?

What a complete joke.

Sorry my wife and I are ****ing poor.

That is all.

Well you must not be that poor... since you are grossly overweight.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 05:23:47 PM »
Well you must not be that poor... since you are grossly overweight.

Hell, he's usually bragging about all the "neat" computer toys he buys.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2011, 08:27:53 PM »
Hell, he's usually bragging about all the "neat" computer toys he buys.

Not to mention his exercise equipment. I never understood the whole exercise equipment thing. Me? I just pick up the dog's leash and in less than a second I have an exercise trainer that will not let me stop until I have briskly walked at least 5 miles. Then when I get back to the house the alternate trainer takes me out for an additional 5 mile walk.  As an added bonus my exercise trainers also double as my security administrators and they are quite effective in that duty too. :-)
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2011, 08:43:59 PM »
I have to give skins credit,always thought he was above the primitives but to take an insane posting format filled with cluster ****s and then cluster **** it even more takes a special brand of stupid.

Way to go skins!  :cheersmate:
Skimmer is stupid like a fox. The new DUmp will bring him more cash with less work. The DUmmies will piss and moan, then pay up. There aren't many lunatic asylums where they would be welcome.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2011, 08:57:39 PM »
Not to mention his exercise equipment. I never understood the whole exercise equipment thing. Me? I just pick up the dog's leash and in less than a second I have an exercise trainer that will not let me stop until I have briskly walked at least 5 miles. Then when I get back to the house the alternate trainer takes me out for an additional 5 mile walk.  As an added bonus my exercise trainers also double as my security administrators and they are quite effective in that duty too. :-)

There's nothing wrong with exercise equipment. Whatever means to get or stay fit. I have 3 kids, one with autism. Having equipment comes in handy when I can't go far from the house to workout. 5 mile runs are out of the question in case I get a call that all hell is breaking loose and I'm 20 minutes from the house running--even more walking. Dogs aren't going to strengthen your core and other muscles too. You can use body weight, but nothing beats a pair of good bar, some plates(taht can double as handweights), and an inexpensive band. You can do everything you need to do with that. Really depends on circumstances. I know a lot of people very overweight who are just embarrassed to go out in public at first and equipment whether it be a dvd or a bike really is helpful for them to gain some confidence at first. And others like me who have responsibilities that require me to stay close to home.

Now, in the big butt Vegas boy's case, I still don't believe he wants a normal life no matter what he says. He knows somewhere deep down if he gets better, he will have to continue on with normal responsibilities too and I think he's too comfortable in his situation, poor or not.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2011, 09:57:16 PM »
So, pissed off DU members --

When are you gonna march on the offices of DU ? They are acting awfully 'one percent-like' - and you already have a hippie contingency in DC.. So, get your courage up and march !!!!!

Unless you aren't the freedom-fighters you claim to be, that is....

Offline Bodadh

• Not in the mood!
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2011, 11:58:00 PM »
The United States of America, the only country where the poor are morbidly obese.

Not so. When I was New Zealand my GF and I ate out a lot. She put on like five pounds and freaked out because she was worried that people eould think she was "on the dole". One day we were out side of a store and she pointed out some one and said she was on the dole. I asked how she knew that. She said because she is drinking a coke in the morning and was fat. Looking at her I would have thought welfare too by her clothes and attitude. The point is others have poor fatties too. We Are just the only ones who talk about it.
A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 02:09:11 AM »
Not so. When I was New Zealand my GF and I ate out a lot. She put on like five pounds and freaked out because she was worried that people eould think she was "on the dole". One day we were out side of a store and she pointed out some one and said she was on the dole. I asked how she knew that. She said because she is drinking a coke in the morning and was fat. Looking at her I would have thought welfare too by her clothes and attitude. The point is others have poor fatties too. We Are just the only ones who talk about it.

Australia is statistically "more obese" than the US.

We've got our fair share of grossly obese 2nd and 3rd generation welfare families too.