Author Topic: primitives discuss chow they dislike  (Read 4338 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss chow they dislike
« on: January 28, 2010, 12:58:55 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x74340

Oh my.

Stinky The Clown  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jan-26-10 08:21 PM
#05 TOP PRIMITIVE OF 2009; THE SPARKLING HUSBAND PRIMITIVE
Original message

What dishes did you really dislike ("hate" in kidspeak) that you now enjoy. Post the recipe.

One of mine (there are quite a few) is my Mom's lentil soup. It was a typical Italian-American, Depression era dish that filled lots of bellies for little money. Mom made it because she and my Dad actually liked it ..... and also because we weren't all that wealthy.

Start with about a cup of dried lentils, picked over for stones (do stones still show up in modern bags of dried legumes?). Put them in a pot and cover with water. Bring them to a boil, cover, turn off the heat, and let them sit for an hour.

Turn the heat back on and add chopped parsley, basil, garlic, onion, carrots, celery, salt and pepper, and about a 1/4 c of olive oil. all to taste/as you see fit. Cook slowly until the v*****s are all cooked and the lentils done, maybe 15, 20 minutes.

When all is done, add water back to make the soup the consistency you want.

Now add about a quarter pound of spaghetti, broken into one inch pieces. Cook until done. Adjust the water again, and serve.

I really hated this as a kid. I really love it now. Sparkly made it tonight and that inspired this post.

Denninmi  (46 posts)      Tue Jan-26-10 08:26 PM
Response to Original message

1. Not a dish per se ...

I absolutely detested olives as a child. Thought they were the most vile thing ever (well, with the possible exception of limburger cheese and pickled pigs feet, two of my father's favorites).

Of course, I love olives now.

And yes, you still find stones, bits of stick, pod pieces, etc., in bags of dry beans and other legumes.

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jan-26-10 08:41 PM
#09 TOP PRIMITIVE OF 2009; THE DEFROCKED WARPED PRIMITIVE

3. I loathed a lot of things when I was a kid because my mother hated cooking and it showed. I often say I learned how to cook in self defense. She always told people I grew up eating nothing but Campbell's chicken noodle soup and peanut butter sandwiches. It was pretty close to the truth.

I learned to love everything I hated because she insisted on using canned instead of fresh. I learned how to combine things in a pan to make things taste fresh and clean instead of overcooked and unseasoned. I learned techniques to take fresh, raw food and turn them into dinner in 15 minutes after work. I also learned that cooking it meant it was a lot cheaper than processed food.

However, to this day, I can't get liver down.

I've never really blamed my mother for being a bad cook as much as I've always felt sorry for her. She knew she had little talent for it, she hated doing it, but being female in the 50s meant she was stuck with the job and there was no way out of it.

At least when my dad was out of town, there was Campbell's and peanut butter.

hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jan-26-10 08:43 PM
MRS. ALFRED PACKER

4. No recipe but I hated Mexican food with a passion. I remember one night the neighbor sent over some tamales and the smell was making what we kinds were having for dinner taste like tamales. I didn't like chili, either.

Callalily  (1000+ posts)      Tue Jan-26-10 09:26 PM

5. My mom made the most gawd awful pea soup. My siblings liked it though, and I can still remember my brother lining the whole peas on the rim of his bowl to eat them last.

I didn't start liking pea soup until I made it myself. No recipe to post, but I'm sure everyone here has their favorite.

Tesha  (1000+ posts)      Wed Jan-27-10 07:21 AM
Response to Reply #6

7. yes.. tomatoes!

especially the (pardon me) snot eeeeuuuuu gross!

I still hate that stuff, but tomato flesh with cucumbers, capers, and thinly sliced fresh garlic in an italian dressing - along with a hunk of fresh bread are all I need for a late summer dinner.

remember summer?

pengillian101  (1000+ posts)        Thu Jan-28-10 01:38 AM
Response to Reply #7

13. especially the (pardon me) snot eeeeuuuuu gross!

Yes, I think that part was the killer.

My Dad even said he would bet me $5 real money to eat one, as a kid. No way - and I passed on that bet.

Then again he bet me $50 to sleep overnight (in our family's cemetery) with my sister and cousin. Well - he lied, LOL! He drove all of us home. (We girls had a secret though - we were going to sleep in the church, lol).

But we never got any money out of the bet. Not long after, some pyromaniac burned that very historic church.

Vinca  (1000+ posts)      Wed Jan-27-10 08:24 AM
THE HIP-IMPAIRED VINDICTIVE PRIMITIVE

8. I wouldn't go near a tomato, mushroom or onion.

That's probably why I was a little fat kid.

Phentex  (1000+ posts)        Wed Jan-27-10 11:19 AM

9. I cannot think of a single thing...too many mouths to feed so you ate what you were given. Not a single picky eater in the group. And for the most part, my mom was a good cook. In the plentiful times, we didn't know how good we had it. I look back and wonder how she did it! When things were really bad and there was no "real" food, I learned to love a bowl of rice for dinner.

kfred  (75 posts)     Wed Jan-27-10 12:10 PM

10. Lima beans

Still cannot handle them to this day. But here is a giggle. My older sister is known for how she hated peas and would slather ketchup all over them to get them down her gullet.

We still might have cottage cheese with ketchup. We used it to disguise alot of ickies.

But liver? I really, really loved it and still do. Gimme some onions and crisp bacon with it and I'm in love. I've been known to order it at restaurants because I love it so much.

EFerrari  (1000+ posts)        Wed Jan-27-10 01:54 PM
#03 TOP PRIMITIVE OF 2009; DOUG'S EX-WIFE

11. I never had homemade soup until I learned to make it myself.

So, split pea soup was just the worst, it tasted just like the can it came from. My recipe doesn't do anything special but the ham hock works much better if you get the butcher to crack it for you (or if you have a sledgehammer). We usually have it with lots of horseradish, toasted French bread and a couple of cheeses + a green salad. It bears no resemblance to that nasty stuff from Campbells.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Karin

Re: primitives discuss chow they dislike
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 01:31:27 PM »
A sledgehammer!!!   :lmao: :lmao:  Here's Beth pounding on the propane tank:   :hammer:

As a kid I hated peas and still do.  Won't have a thing to do with them.   :bird: peas! 

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 01:36:51 PM »
A sledgehammer!!!   :lmao: :lmao:  Here's Beth pounding on the propane tank:   :hammer:

As a kid I hated peas and still do.  Won't have a thing to do with them.   :bird: peas! 

Yeah that.  Peas suck!
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 01:41:03 PM »
I like junkfood. I am a fattie. lol.  :bawl:

Offline jukin

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 01:52:24 PM »
If chairman Obama's plans come to fruition you will LIKE a potato and a quart of vodka every other day. You will think it is the best food ever.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 01:58:20 PM »
Foods on franksolich's excresence list, in no particular order:

dead fish
beef or pork with fat on it
onions
mushrooms
canned vegetables and fruits
olives
artificial cheese
fake milk (i.e., like that "soy" junk)
margarine
tofu
green beans, even if fresh much less if canned
ham
bacon with fat on it
candy
doughnuts and rolls (i.e., the conventional ones)
white bread and buns
cold pasta

&c., &c., &c.

Other than that, as many have opined in real life, franksolich is a rather easy person to please, when it comes to dining.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 01:59:43 PM »
Oh, and I forgot to mention fake mayonnaise and fake whipped cream.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 02:02:50 PM »
Cocoanut, too.

Ugh.
apres moi, le deluge

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 02:11:16 PM »
I like a lot of that stuff. heh.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 02:16:10 PM »
I am with ya on the canned foods Frank.  And the fake stuff.

But Bacon? 

Oh my.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 02:28:49 PM »
How can anyone not like bacon??

PIGS would eat themselves if their bacon was fried.

Vegetarians are tempted by the smell of bacon.

Bacon is God. Bacon for President!!!111!!!11

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 02:33:51 PM »
Bacon is delicious

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 02:36:28 PM »
Bacon is delicious

Bacon makes everything better.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 02:37:14 PM »
Hmm. A bacon thread...

O.K. bacon is one of the few foods which has a name that tells you what to do with it. You bake it. On a rack above a pan of water. All the grease and fat falls into the water via the bacon strip so the bacon comes out somewhere between crunchy and chewy. I worked in a restaurant for a while and that's the way the pros do it.

But good call Frank. Dead fish don't wiggle on the way down. It's anti climactic.

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 03:11:42 PM »
How can anyone not like bacon??

PIGS would eat themselves if their bacon was fried.

Vegetarians are tempted by the smell of bacon.

Bacon is God. Bacon for President!!!111!!!11
YES!!!

ALL HAIL THE BACON GODS!!!111

One time, at band camp, I slid a slab of bacon up my.... :naughty: :censored:
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 03:24:36 PM »
Hmm. A bacon thread...

O.K. bacon is one of the few foods which has a name that tells you what to do with it. You bake it. On a rack above a pan of water. All the grease and fat falls into the water via the bacon strip so the bacon comes out somewhere between crunchy and chewy. I worked in a restaurant for a while and that's the way the pros do it.

But good call Frank. Dead fish don't wiggle on the way down. It's anti climactic.

I have heard of that cooking method, but wondered if I would smoke out the house?  Please advise.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 03:28:43 PM »
YES!!!

ALL HAIL THE BACON GODS!!!111

One time, at band camp, I slid a slab of bacon up my.... :naughty: :censored:

I sure that is going to end with tuba or something

Offline blitzkrieg_17

• The harder they come, the harder they fall
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 03:34:45 PM »
I like a lot of that stuff. heh.

I like a lot of that stuff too. But I'm with Frank on the margarine, tofu, soy and fake stuff. Blecch.
Caught somewhere in time

Offline Servonaut

• In Memoriam
  • "Memento Mori"
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 03:47:56 PM »
I cannot, will not, eat corn.   My Mom and I had many battles at the dinner table regarding starving african and mexican children to no avail when I was a kid.

I'll eat corn chips, corn tortillas, and candycorn :)

Keep that vile plant off my plate.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 04:06:41 PM »
Wouldn't eat and still don't ....

bananas
beans of any kind except for green or wax beans
liver
ham or bacon mixed into anything else
any cereal except for oatmeal
weird stuff like pigs feet, brains, sweetbread, etc.

there's a lot of stuff I don't really care for...but if push came to shove....I could get down.

Stuff I wouldn't eat as a kid and suddenly had an epiphany over in my teen years....

pizza
spaghetti sauce
chili
cottage cheese
oysters - raw or cooked....took me until my mid 30's to eat, now love them

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 08:07:55 PM »
BACON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Aaron Burr

• Evil Conservative
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 08:15:33 PM »
I have heard of that cooking method, but wondered if I would smoke out the house?  Please advise.

Oven at 325-350 depends on altitude I guess. It takes a while to cook, but it doesn't smoke. Turn bacon over halfway if you care about presentation. You can end the cooking by hitting the broiler for a few minutes to make it crispy, but that's when you can burn it. I was always an iron skillet guy until I tried this. Oh, and get the bacon from the deli counter or the butcher at the store. That packaged bacon doesn't work.

Ah. technical details. Shallow pan, not a lot of water. Use care not to spill pan. Rack and pan in middle of oven.

It's hogtastic.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 08:21:22 PM »

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 08:22:59 PM »
Oven at 325-350 depends on altitude I guess. It takes a while to cook, but it doesn't smoke. Turn bacon over halfway if you care about presentation. You can end the cooking by hitting the broiler for a few minutes to make it crispy, but that's when you can burn it. I was always an iron skillet guy until I tried this. Oh, and get the bacon from the deli counter or the butcher at the store. That packaged bacon doesn't work.

Ah. technical details. Shallow pan, not a lot of water. Use care not to spill pan. Rack and pan in middle of oven.

It's hogtastic.

Alrighty then.  I will try it.  I don't give a rat about presentation, and don't like my bacon too crispy.  Thanks!

Offline jukin

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 08:25:11 PM »
Bacon is proof that islam is a fake religion.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.