Author Topic: Ore-gone done soak da rich!!  (Read 3596 times)

Offline zeitgeist

Ore-gone done soak da rich!!
« on: January 27, 2010, 07:36:57 PM »
And to a dummy this is da bomb!

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x7582764

WillyT (1000+ posts)    Wed Jan-27-10 12:55 PM
Original message

HEY... DU !!! - Oregon TAXED THE RICH To Save Education Last Night !!!

And this should be a template for the rest of the country. If this thing were to catch on, it would give the Washington Wimps a thing or two to think about, might even grow 'em a spine.

I've been watching MCNBC all morning and have seen NO MENTION of this vote. (Maybe I was in the bathroom.)

Maybe they'll get to it eventually, but you'd think such a revolutionary vote (specially in these times) would have been worthy of some pundit discussion.

We need to give this a much bigger profile!

*************************************************************************************

Voters in Oregon OK tax hikes for some
Corporations and wealthy families are targeted to help ease the state's budget crisis.
By Kim Murphy - LA Times
January 27, 2010

<snip>

Facing a budget crunch that threatened to close schools early, lay off teachers and slash healthcare benefits, Oregon voters ended two decades of tax scrimping Tuesday by approving higher taxes on corporations and wealthy families.

{snip}

Supporters, backed by public employee unions, raised $6.8 million, compared with $4.6 million by opponents who relied on the banking industry and business groups. Final financial reports have yet to be filed.

"The biggest issue is we were substantially outspent by the public employee unions. They were able to double, and more than that, the money we were spending on the broadcast media, and were able to get that much more of their message out," said Pat McCormick, spokesman for Oregonians Against Job-Killing Taxes.

<snip>

Link: http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-and-world/la-na-oreg...

Willy an the poor boys are singing but for how long?

phantom power (1000+ posts)    Wed Jan-27-10 12:57 PM
Response to Original message

1. So crazy, it just might work!

Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

Typical dummy comment

HuckleB (1000+ posts)    Wed Jan-27-10 01:01 PM

2. This is a big victory, but the tax increase is very miniscule.

All the whiners out there claiming that businesses and the wealthy will now leave Oregon have missed the reality boat.

Oregon does not have restrictive taxes. That is a perception that does not match reality.

In the '90s, I worked for a business publication company, and I had to read most of the nation's business magazines. For several years, Oregon's businesses rated it as being very business friendly, especially for small businesses, and Portland was singled out as being a great for a small business. Then the PBA decided they wanted an even better deal, and they began pushing propaganda about how Portland was not business friendly. Despite no tax increases and no policy changes, suddenly those magazines were no longer rating Portland and Oregon as business friendly, largely because the businesses had motive to change perception. Propaganda is successful, but, at least in this case, it's BS.

Some actual data can be found here where Oregon is rated as the 14th "best" state for business tax climate:... See More

http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/topic/52.html

This five-year-old study also shows Oregon's business tax burden as being very low:

http://www.ocpp.org/cgi-bin/display.cgi?page=issue04012...

And another piece on the matter:

http://www.blueoregon.com/2009/03/oregon-business-taxes...

And one more:

http://blog.oregonlive.com/mapesonpolitics/2008/08/oreg...

I say it's time to drop the propaganda of the campaign, and look at the reality of the situation. The following piece does a mildly fair job of doing just that.

http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2010/01/mea...

Want to bet it won't be for long?

WillyT (1000+ posts)    Wed Jan-27-10 01:34 PM

10. Oregon Voter Booths... Gotta Love It !!!

Election worker Kevin Fitzgerald stands by as motorists drop off ballots in Portland, Ore.
(Don Ryan / Associated Press / January 26, 2010)

Kinky.  Crossing Guard / Poll Worker

RedCloud  (1000+ posts)      Wed Jan-27-10 02:07 PM
16. Victory over the fascist killer pigs!

They have no idea what a fascist is and insult pigs.

merkins (192 posts)     Wed Jan-27-10 07:30 PM
39. Lets hope the State pols don't squander it
 Edited on Wed Jan-27-10 07:34 PM by merkins
I agree and voted yes on the measures..just worried its a just another ball of dope for the politicians to smoke up and do business as usual...

of course someone has to rain on the party:

Oregon's Death Spiral; Business Owners Say "I'm moving out"

Merkin's login won't work shortly.

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: Ore-gone done soak da rich!!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 07:38:38 PM »
So now $125K is rich, eh?  Glad someone told me.  Guess I won't be looking at BPA for that utility job anytime soon.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 07:45:07 PM »
I think there are already companies planning to leave Oregon

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 07:46:28 PM »
It passed because the libs in multnomah county (who use most of the services) overwhelmed the rest of the state. If you look at one of those red/blue maps by county (you can't use the last election because the boy king was an anomaly when the country collectively lost it's brain and picked fake columns and a well-prepped teleprompter over substance) you'll see that most of the state is red, with pockets of blue. It's just that those pockets are cities densely populated with your average, run of the mill moonbat.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 07:52:56 PM »
It passed because the libs in multnomah county (who use most of the services) overwhelmed the rest of the state. If you look at one of those red/blue maps by county (you can't use the last election because the boy king was an anomaly when the country collectively lost it's brain and picked fake columns and a well-prepped teleprompter over substance) you'll see that most of the state is red, with pockets of blue. It's just that those pockets are cities densely populated with your average, run of the mill moonbat.

Cindie

Perhaps Sparky remembers the exact quote which escapes me at the moment, but, it goes something like "voting themselves a raise from the public treasury"  that coupled with this line [Supporters, backed by public employee unions, raised $6.8 million, compared with $4.6 million by opponents who relied on the banking industry and business groups.] is what disturbs me about this. 

Offline Specbid

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 08:40:02 PM »
Oregon voters ended two decades of tax scrimping Tuesday by approving higher taxes on corporations...

Jeez louise...how many times must it be said? Taxes on corps are taxes on everyone doing any "consuming out there." Corporations pass on taxes to the CONSUMER...how come DUmmies can't understand this simple f###ing concept?

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 08:42:07 PM »

Jeez louise...how many times must it be said? Taxes on corps are taxes on everyone doing any "consuming out there." Corporations pass on taxes to the CONSUMER...how come DUmmies can't understand this simple f###ing concept?

dUmmies understand no concept. They do not understand the concept of a concept.

Offline Specbid

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 08:50:39 PM »
dUmmies understand no concept. They do not understand the concept of a concept.

:banghead:

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 10:03:57 PM »

Cindie

Washington State is the same way. The Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia corridor has 1/3 of all registered voters in the state and they're deep blue. Doesn't matter what the rest of the state want's, if it wins in Seattle, it wins overall. Eastern Washington and a good portion of the west side of the Cascade Curtain lean red, but have populations too small to influence much.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 07:31:25 AM »
They forgot that the Oregon Trail also runs eastward away from the State.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 08:35:16 AM »
WillyT (1000+ posts)    Wed Jan-27-10 01:34 PM

I thought you idiots wanted voter-verified paper ballots?  It seems with this method, it's like dropping off your phone bill, never to be sure if it will be credited to the correct account.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 10:01:39 AM »
WillyT (1000+ posts)    Wed Jan-27-10 01:34 PM

Oregon doesn't have voter booths. We're a 100% vote by mail state.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline jukin

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 01:54:28 PM »
Future Headline:

Oregon's 2010 Tax Revenue Plunges!

When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 01:55:52 PM »
Oregon doesn't have voter booths. We're a 100% vote by mail state.

Cindie

That was the easiest way for ACORN to cheat

Offline Karin

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 02:44:04 PM »
Oregon's 2010 Unemployment Soars!

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 04:55:07 PM »
Future Headline:

Oregon's 2010 Tax Revenue Plunges!

Probably won't be an immediate and dramatic result, the costs of relocating are significant for anyone and the increase is not a disabling one, but it will be a long-term reason to stay the hell away from there for new startups...and the actual revenue from it will likely fall far short of their expectations as well, as the targeted taxpayers adapt and respond by various means.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 04:56:58 PM by DumbAss Tanker »
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 07:45:18 PM »
phantom power (1000+ posts)    Wed Jan-27-10 12:57 PM

1. So crazy, it just might work!

Someone bookmark this thread and come back to it in twelve months.  I'd like to see if this extra influx of cash that is allegedly "for the kids" actually improves test scores in Oregon.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline jukin

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 08:27:15 PM »
Probably won't be an immediate and dramatic result, the costs of relocating are significant for anyone and the increase is not a disabling one, but it will be a long-term reason to stay the hell away from there for new startups...and the actual revenue from it will likely fall far short of their expectations as well, as the targeted taxpayers adapt and respond by various means.

Has showed up pretty damn quick everywhere it is tried.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline sofa king

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 05:17:45 PM »
well, that didn't take long.  suck it, dummys.

cali  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)       Fri Jan-29-10 06:07 PM
Original message

what a ****ing asshole: After tax vote, Chicago mayor wants to poach Oregon businesses

Less than a week after Oregon voters passed a tax increase on businesses, Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley says he wants to start poaching Oregon companies.

An article in Thursday’s Chicago Sun-Times called the taxes “head-scratching” and said Daley plans to send economic development officials to Oregon to recruit businesses.

“It will help (Chicago’s) economic development immediately,” Daley told the Sun-Times. “You’d better believe it. We’ll be out in Oregon enticing corporations to relocate to Chicago. I’ll be very frank. I make no bones about that.”

Daley has a track record of recruiting Pacific Northwest businesses. In 2001, the Fortune 500 company Boeing Inc. moved its headquarters from the Puget Sound area to Chicago.

On Tuesday, Oregon voters approved two taxes. The first is a tax on Oregonians who earn more than $125,000. The second is an increase in the minimum tax on Oregon businesses.

“I’ve always thought America stands for . You finish high school. You work hard, go to college and you hope to succeed in life," Daley told the Sun-Times. "I never knew it’s a class war—that those who succeed in life are the ones that have to bear all the burden. I never realized that. It will be a whole change in America that those who succeed and work hard we’re gonna tax ‘em more than anyone else.”

Mayor Daley’s office did not immediately return a call for comment.

Pat McCormick, the spokesman for the campaign against the tax hikes, said he isn’t surprised that other states are interested in recruiting Oregon companies.

snip

http://portland.bizjournals.com/portland/stories/2010/0...

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x7603318

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 06:22:42 PM »
well, that didn't take long.  suck it, dummys.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x7603318
Sofa King: Great !

Dummy food fight.  Funny nobody has mentioned Chi town and O'balmy on that thread yet. :cheersmate:

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2010, 09:42:07 PM »
Daley told the Sun-Times. "I never knew it’s a class war—that those who succeed in life are the ones that have to bear all the burden. I never realized that. It will be a whole change in America that those who succeed and work hard we’re gonna tax ‘em more than anyone else.”
Quite a mouthful for a Chicago machine democrat politician. He forgot to use that stupid DUmp "sarcasm" thingy.