Author Topic: Oscar Wilde emulates the subway cat  (Read 558 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Oscar Wilde emulates the subway cat
« on: November 04, 2009, 12:05:56 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6925170

Oh my.

The large-proboscised primitive, Oscar Wilde:

Cyrano  (1000+ posts)        Wed Nov-04-09 11:54 AM
Original message

I’m sick of DU bullies and cowards hiding behind anonymity

In my opinion, there are far too many ugly sentiments expressed on DU these days. Perhaps it was always thus, but I’ve begun to notice it more and more.

I’m not talking about original posts, or posts by those who disagree with the OP. I’m talking about the extreme rudeness, insults and intentional cruelty of some DUers.

Someone complains about something and the “Quit Whining” crowd shows up.

Someone posts an unpopular opinion and, rather than a counter argument, too many are content to tell the OP that he/she is an imbecile, using words that don't break DU rules.

Someone posts something that not too many people are interested in and they’re told to “Get a Life.” If it's something you're not interested in, why not just go to another thread without hurling an insult?

And even on what most would consider an “intelligent post,” there are always those who will tell the OP that he/she is insane, again using words that don’t break DU rules.

I read DU far more often than I post. But, over time, I’ve noticed that many of the bullies and cowards are the same people. I have no idea what they’re problems are, but they are taking them out on us. And they are doing so because they can do it anonymously.

Why am I using the terms “bullies” and “cowards?” Because they say things online that they would never say to someone’s face. And this is the worst form of being a bully or coward. They are totally avoiding the possibility of getting slapped, or punched out.

I can’t wait to see how many bullies and/or cowards show up on this thread.

dionysus  (1000+ posts)      Wed Nov-04-09 11:57 AM
Response to Original message

1. happens on both sides. for every "quit whining" post you have "talibama" or "pom pom wavers"

for every person who rails at any criticism whatsoever, there's someone that never got over the primaries or who thinks kucinich is the only real dem, and their goal is to make the board as miserable as they can for the obama supporters.

Cyrano  (1000+ posts)        Wed Nov-04-09 11:59 AM
Response to Reply #1

3. I have no idea of the meanings of "talibama" or "pom pom wavers"

dionysus  (1000+ posts)      Wed Nov-04-09 12:00 PM
Response to Reply #3

7. there's a post in a thread right now that calls obama supporters Talibama. just like the taliban eh?

insn't that cute?

the cheerleader\pom pom shit gets used here ad nauseum as well.

there's a huge difference between people that have valid concerns and those who have done nothing but complain and smear, on every single issue, going back for the last year +.

rudy23  (1000+ posts)       Wed Nov-04-09 12:36 PM
Response to Reply #1

45. I think the "whining" thing, and the VILE variety of anti-DK posts are from some kind of group. 

It's like someone's reading things off of a list.

I'm not talking about the civil posts disagreeing with Kucinich, I'm talking about a certain variety of uncharacteristically vile posts that pop up from the same posters, as if on cue.

It's totally out of character for DU in a non-primary season.

Clare Boothe Luce, who's about to be demoted, because apparently (nothing connected with this bonfire) I overrated her:

Nikki Stone1 (1000+ posts)     Wed Nov-04-09 11:58 AM

2. Don't forget the cowardly "unrec"

rd_kent (1000+ posts)      Wed Nov-04-09 12:01 PM
Response to Reply #2

10. Thanks for reminding me......

Nikki Stone1 (1000+ posts)     Wed Nov-04-09 12:12 PM
Original message

You're on my list.

There are a bunch of you...

philly_bob  (1000+ posts)      Wed Nov-04-09 12:35 PM
Response to Reply #2

40. Is UNREC cowardly if you also REPLY and explain your UNREC?

Vickers  (1000+ posts)        Wed Nov-04-09 12:36 PM
Response to Reply #40

46. They never answer that.

SIMPLYB1980  (1000+ posts)        Wed Nov-04-09 12:00 PM

4. Yawn. Can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Zodiak  (1000+ posts)        Wed Nov-04-09 12:19 PM
Response to Reply #4

25. You are one of the worst

Which reminds me.....(ignore)

spiritual_gunfighter  (1000+ posts)      Wed Nov-04-09 12:26 PM
Response to Reply #4

30. You are one of the ones the OP is referring to

The way you decided to hijack my post last week about the inhumane practices of factory farms without even reading the article outed you.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.ph... 

Echo In Light  (1000+ posts)      Wed Nov-04-09 12:34 PM
Response to Reply #30

39. Oddly, there are a few of em who capitalize their user names like that

Dunno if you've ever been PM'd 'the list' of DU's most loud-mouthed attackers and name-callers, but it's really interesting when you consider there are several who choose user names that sound as though they'll be siding w/the 'edgy' anti-establishment view, yet they're the most obnoxious defenders of the status quo! ... seeking out specific threads which afford them opportunities to shout-down and name-call the "loony" left, and/or those who question any official doctrine i.e. vaccines

Considering their iron-clad perspective, it almost seems as though some of them intentionally chose user names suited to that approach.

Hmmm.  There might be something to that.

But franksolich started wondering about that long before the dark reverberating primitive.

fascisthunter  (1000+ posts)      Wed Nov-04-09 12:36 PM
Response to Reply #30

44. I recommend others click on your link

Flaneur (812 posts)      Wed Nov-04-09 12:29 PM
Response to Reply #4

33. If the shoe fits...

LanternWaste (1000+ posts)        Wed Nov-04-09 12:35 PM
Response to Reply #4

43. Seems to me that criticizing an unnecessarily high temperature

Seems to me that a valid critique of an unnecessarily high temperature and not being able "to take it" are two completely different things...

PeaceNikki  (1000+ posts)        Wed Nov-04-09 12:00 PM

6. Welcome to the internets. 

after which an image of a cat looking at a computer screen, "OMG.  I have heen offended.  And on the internets of all places."

NoSheep  (1000+ posts)        Wed Nov-04-09 12:00 PM

8. Agreed....The web is a great place for some bullies to hide.

I don't have a filter (I'm told) I'll just tell a jerk they're a jerk to their face. I don't seem to have any control over it.

BTW...your screen name is ironic for this post

Cyrano  (1000+ posts)        Wed Nov-04-09 12:10 PM
Response to Reply #8

17. I try to not sully my white plume

frazzled  (1000+ posts)      Wed Nov-04-09 12:00 PM

9. It's the way of the Internets

I generally ignore the bullies. Though sometimes I find even myself having written something, with no rancor--merely an intent to contest an opinion and argue a different way--and wonder if my post looks bullyish, too. Without tone of voice, it's really difficult to impart the subtle things that personal communication allows.

That said, you have a point: I think that on both the left and right, the kind of Internet communication has leaked out into the real world, in effect coarsening our entire conversation about politics. We see it on tv every day. I was remembering back to the days of William F. Buckley and Crossfire. Didn't agree with a thing the guy said or stood for, but he was a gentleman, more or less, and respected his adversaries. That just wouldn't happen today.

petronius  (1000+ posts)        Wed Nov-04-09 12:10 PM
Response to Reply #9

18. I think your first paragraph sums up a lot of it - it's too easy to assume a negative tone when a post disagrees. I've seen a lot of accusations of 'bullying' when a neutral 3rd party (me) can clearly see that the posts are really just stating an opposing view. However, there are a few people who seem to be here just to spew bile, and I don't think it has to do with the primaries or anything else, I think it just makes them feel better/happy in some way.

Something I often wonder about your second point is whether things really used to be more courteous in the good old days, or if we just remember the high points. It could be that the coarse and obnoxious types have always been here, they just get forgotten more quickly...

eleny  (1000+ posts)      Wed Nov-04-09 12:01 PM

11. Well said

I don't know why I don't use my Ignore List more often. This might be the only personal solution. At least it's not against the rules to let the offending person know about it in advance and then *zap*.

Cleita  (1000+ posts)        Wed Nov-04-09 12:09 PM
Response to Reply #11

15. Curious thing I noticed about my ignore list is that it gets smaller each time some one on it gets tomb stoned. Most of my ignores are no longer here. Of course I occasionally have to add a new one, but I know that person will disappear from DU in time.

eleny  (1000+ posts)      Wed Nov-04-09 12:12 PM
Response to Reply #15

20. Wow, you've got the magic touch!

CountAllVotes  (1000+ posts)      Wed Nov-04-09 12:39 PM
Response to Reply #15

50. noticed that too

many that have been/are on ignore are no longer here. They have been tomb stoned yes.

countingbluecars  (1000+ posts)        Wed Nov-04-09 12:03 PM

12. It helps when I remind myself how lucky I am that these people are not part of my real life.

The maharani primitive:

La Lioness Priyanka  (1000+ posts)        Wed Nov-04-09 12:10 PM
Original message

me too

UTUSN  (1000+ posts)      Wed Nov-04-09 12:03 PM

13. K&R #5, but the UnReKKKers knocked it down to 3!1 But flamers are an old constant

They are the scum of the earth, right next to wingnuts.

Cleita  (1000+ posts)        Wed Nov-04-09 12:04 PM

14. You and I have been here approximately the same amount of time and I have noticed the increase in incivility. There are some DUers who are unnecessarily rude, but I believe most are trolls with hidden agendas who probably will be tomb stoned down the road. In the meantime, I try to keep that in mind when I'm attacked for no good reason.

cry baby (1000+ posts)      Wed Nov-04-09 12:09 PM

16. I have been here about as long as you, Cyrano...

I stopped reading here much about 2 yrs ago due to life's circumstances. I've come back recently and noticed more bullying. There was always some, but it seems to be here now to a greater degree.

Lots of people seem to be grouchy and don't seem to want to find common ground.

That said, these are the most informed people on the internet and I'll likely never leave...I just won't post much.

CountAllVotes  (1000+ posts)      Wed Nov-04-09 12:10 PM

19. agree 

I do have a few people on ignore. I find it almost amusing when I see threads that have a lot of bickering going on and I see the word IGNORE IGNORE IGNORE as the bickering goes on.

I know it is not just me. There are some around that like to stir up the pot and hoist one against the other. What good comes of this fails to register with me.

I'd say use the ignore feature as needed.

TN al (1000+ posts)      Wed Nov-04-09 12:13 PM

22. Recced you back up to five.

your post made me think of another phenomenom that is present on the internet, and in schoolyards, and most definitely at DU. Probably just another form of what you are decrying though. The pack mentality that on occassion rears its head here. With all of the small dogs waiting for the big dog to notice the thread. Actually had a response to an OP once that said just wait til _____ sees this. Lots of small yapping until the big dog showed and then the onslaught began. I held my own, as far as I am concerned anyway, I mean this is the internet nobody is really going to punch me and I am big enough that in real life it is unlikely to happen there either, but I remember who you are and if you are like most cliques you are clueless as to who I am talking about.

rucky  (1000+ posts)        Wed Nov-04-09 12:13 PM

23. I'd say there are about 10 or so repeat offenders that need to go.

Echo In Light  (1000+ posts)      Wed Nov-04-09 12:26 PM
Response to Reply #23

29. Yet they're miraculously never called on their hate-spew...

Sorta makes a guy wonder if maybe someone 'up top' wants those belligerent haters on board ....

A lowly primitive accusing my fellow alum Skins of favoritism?

That's not sitting well with franksolich.

ixion  (1000+ posts)        Wed Nov-04-09 12:18 PM

24. You're right, Cyrano, it wasn't always like this

I think that as DU has grown in popularity, the DLC'ers have shown up and are being the bullies and cowards that they are.

The bitter old Vermontese cali primitive:

cali  (1000+ posts)        Wed Nov-04-09 12:22 PM
Response to Reply #24

27. oh for pity's sake. 

I see the ever popular DLC whipping boy is now the cause of all rudeness on DU.

Peregrine Took  (1000+ posts)        Wed Nov-04-09 12:28 PM
Response to Reply #24

31. You are correct. There are way too many "DLC/rethug lites" here since Obama came on the scene.

rudy23  (1000+ posts)       Wed Nov-04-09 12:37 PM
Response to Reply #31

47. I think their thuggish behavior sticks out like a sore thumb, and identifies them as not legit.

rudy23  (1000+ posts)       Wed Nov-04-09 12:39 PM
Response to Reply #24

48. Think about it---if you were in the DLC, wouldn't you want to ruin the blogoshpere? 

It's the best tool of the actual left. How would they be able to enact a corporate agenda with the liberal blogosphere doing such a good job of organizing the facts and presenting concise arguments?

Where's that happening on the liberal blogosphere?

barbtries  (1000+ posts)        Wed Nov-04-09 12:20 PM

26. i agree with you

after posting what i considered an innocuous response to a post yesterday, the poster came back at me with "Icehole!"

this is a discussion board, and we are supposed to be grown ups. i'm too sensitive i suppose, but i felt the name-calling was out of line.

Iggo  (1000+ posts)      Wed Nov-04-09 12:31 PM

35. Thanks, Cyrano...if that's your REAL name.

Vickers  (1000+ posts)        Wed Nov-04-09 12:35 PM

42. Is Cyrano your real name?

Because Vickers is mine.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
Re: Oscar Wilde emulates the subway cat
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 01:24:27 PM »
Well, they should consider themselves lucky and rather pampered. Even when they don't agree with each other they don't spew the level of vitriol directed at those outside their little bubble, like Christians, those who don't want government health care and those who would prefer their sons don't wear dresses to school.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 02:35:41 PM »
Quote from:
Cyrano

Why am I using the terms “bullies” and “cowards?” Because they say things online that they would never say to someone’s face......They are totally avoiding the possibility of getting slapped, or punched out.

Primitive, meet the mirror.  Rest assured you say things on Skin's island you wouldn't dare say to my face because I would beat you to a pulp.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 02:37:39 PM by USA4ME »
Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 02:42:14 PM »
Nikki Stone1 (1000+ posts)     
Wed Nov-04-09 11:58 AM

2. Don't forget the cowardly "unrec"

Blame $kimmer, SquirrelG, etc....they're the ones who foisted that system on you DUmmies.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender