Author Topic: I had to pay back my subsidy  (Read 1628 times)

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
I had to pay back my subsidy
« on: February 17, 2015, 08:30:42 AM »
Had to put this here because I suspect we will be seeing this a lot soon!

http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/13/news/economy/obamacare-subsidy/index.html

Janice Riddle got a nasty surprise when she filled out her tax return this year.

The Los Angeles resident had applied for Obamacare in late 2013, when she was unemployed. She qualified for a hefty subsidy of $470 a month, leaving her with a monthly premium of $1 for the cheapest plan available.

Early data is in from some tax preparers. Some 53% of Jackson Hewitt clients who received subsidies have to repay part or all of it, with the largest being $12,000, said Mark Steber, chief tax officer.

A case manager who handles disability payments, Cherington is now considering dropping her coverage and paying the penalty instead.

"It's not really affordable," she said of her new premium. "I don't know if I'll be able to keep it."

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Re: I had to pay back my subsidy
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 08:33:19 AM »
I've been waiting for these to start hitting.  I read a thread on there the other day and they were all trying to claim the MOST someone would be forced to pay was like $240 or some such BS.  They don't know what the hell they're talking about and it's about to hit the fan.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 09:19:47 AM »
Early data is in from some tax preparers. Some 53% of Jackson Hewitt clients who received subsidies have to repay part or all of it, with the largest being $12,000, said Mark Steber, chief tax officer. The rest overestimated their income so they are getting even larger refunds. One taxpayer is collecting an additional $7,500.

Well, that's not fair!  They should take the money that people get back and give it to the people that have to pay!  That would be FAIR!

(do I need the /sarc tag?)
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 09:59:31 AM »
Well! I hope Janice Riddle has learned her lesson about what happens when people get off the government bennies reservation and get a job!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 01:17:13 PM »
The other neat thing is that they all thought that the IRS couldn't collect the fine for not having insurance unless you had a refund coming.  They can and will collect subsidy overpayments.  And, another thing that is about to hit our union brothers and sisters is the "Cadillac" tax on their generous plans.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 01:25:52 PM »
The other neat thing is that they all thought that the IRS couldn't collect the fine for not having insurance unless you had a refund coming.  They can and will collect subsidy overpayments.  And, another thing that is about to hit our union brothers and sisters is the "Cadillac" tax on their generous plans.

Yeah, well, they have it coming.  They have more than they need.  They need to give some of their extra insurance to the needy.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 01:34:21 PM »
How long will it be before some democrat politician introduces a tax on "the top 1%" to bailout the free loaders who tried to scam the system and get the most subsidiary assistance?
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Bad Dog

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 01:53:05 PM »
How long will it be before some democrat politician introduces a tax on "the top 1%" to bailout the free loaders who tried to scam the system and get the most subsidiary assistance?

The "democratics" in Congress are already begging O'bummer to declare a tax amnesty for folks who underestimated their income to get big subsides.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 02:16:20 PM »
With any luck owebumacare will become a permanent albatross around owebuma's neck.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 02:18:15 PM »
Anyone with half a mind knew that when the IRS added a section for health insurance on W2s.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline HawkHogan

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 02:18:24 PM »
We tried to warn them...

Offline thundley4

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 02:32:35 PM »
With any luck owebumacare will become a permanent albatross around owebuma's and the democratic's necks neck.

FIFY

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 04:50:16 PM »
FIFY

Did you mean Democraticks, or Democrats ?
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 06:22:36 PM »
Did you mean Democraticks, or Democrats ?

Yes.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 02:30:19 PM »
http://www.youngcons.com/liberal-formerly-fell-love-obamacare-years-ago-suddenly-change-heart/

I hope this is a real story and not a hoax.  I say this because who doesn't change their profile pic in 3+ years?

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2015, 07:54:45 PM »
A case manager who handles disability payments, Cherington is now considering dropping her coverage and paying the penalty instead.

"It's not really affordable," she said of her new premium. "I don't know if I'll be able to keep it."

As a person that deals with cold hard numbers professionally, I can understand Cherington's dilemma. What Cherington does not realize is that the penalty is going to go up in the next few years. That was built in by design.  The whole thing about this abortion of a law can be summed up in one sentence/question:

Do the ones that benefit outnumber the ones that don't?

I don't think it does and I am guessing neither do the GOP majority in congress. Hence the dummie angst. They may make fun of the House repeal bills, but down the road a ways, it will probably come back to bite the dems in the ass.

For the dummies: The old saying is true. There is no free lunch.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline thundley4

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 08:38:12 PM »
As a person that deals with cold hard numbers professionally, I can understand Cherington's dilemma. What Cherington does not realize is that the penalty is going to go up in the next few years. That was built in by design.  The whole thing about this abortion of a law can be summed up in one sentence/question:

Do the ones that benefit outnumber the ones that don't?

I don't think it does and I am guessing neither do the GOP majority in congress. Hence the dummie angst. They may make fun of the House repeal bills, but down the road a ways, it will probably come back to bite the dems in the ass.

For the dummies: The old saying is true. There is no free lunch.

I don't get it, either. ObamaCare only helps a select few poor people, who were always voting for Demonrats, anyways. But at the same time, it hurts a lot of so-called swing voters.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 09:15:39 PM »
I don't get it, either. ObamaCare only helps a select few poor people, who were always voting for Demonrats, anyways. But at the same time, it hurts a lot of so-called swing voters.

I agree Thundley. From a political standpoint, it was great theater at the time. Then reality set in. I really think the dems thought they would be in charge for the next 10 or 15 years and could tweak it to make the winners outnumber the losers. Then obumbles would be the left's Reagan.

They thought wrong.

The thing that gets me, is the dems could have done a straight infrastructure spending spree, left alone the new regulations and the economy would have rebounded and they would have been in charge for the next 20 years.  Instead they chose this. Smart people knew it would never work. 

Just goes to show that liberals can **** up a wet dream.   :cheersmate:
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 07:17:11 AM »
We tried to warn them...

...over and over and over and.......

Only one in a thousand of these deficient organisms will ever admit it.

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 08:32:34 AM »

How?  don't they get the plans with the high deductibles?  or do they not have to pay that ?

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 09:19:45 AM »
How?  don't they get the plans with the high deductibles?  or do they not have to pay that ?

Gina, Obamacare expanded Medicaid eligibility. The new Medicaid recipients benefited, at our expense.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Bad Dog

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 10:10:37 AM »
Gina, Obamacare expanded Medicaid eligibility. The new Medicaid recipients benefited, at our expense.

Also, the stuff I've been reading has the freeloaders taking the platinum plans since they are mostly subsidized anyway.  And, a lot of them believed if they fudged their income to get bigger subsides, the IRS couldn't collect the overpayments.

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2015, 10:28:32 AM »
And, a lot of them believed if they fudged their income to get bigger subsides, the IRS couldn't collect the overpayments.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Online Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2015, 10:34:49 AM »

It was a two fer politically.
All the goodies appeared up front and were targeted to get the vote out among the poor (medicaid) young (stay on parents plan until 26) and women (free contraception,maternity care).
That aspect backfired as it cost dems Congress.

The second part of course was to act as a virus and entwine itself deeply into everyones life assumptions.
It is wrapped up in the tax code,insurance plans forever altered,dependency on a handout installed and and federal control over peoples lives enacted.
On that part it has been perfectly successful even though the nuts and bolts of it were designed to be a failure so as to increase and solidify each of those points in the future.