Author Topic: Out of ideas for ground meat (beef)  (Read 5459 times)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Out of ideas for ground meat (beef)
« on: November 18, 2010, 03:50:34 PM »
Beef Fauxganoff, Mac & Cheese w/ hamburger, Chili, Tacos, enchiladas, plain old hamburgers, Frito Pie, Shepherd's Pie have all been done. Any other ideas  of what to make from hamburger??(1 Lb chub)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 04:00:27 PM by Thor »
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Out of ideas for ground meat (beef)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 03:54:16 PM »
How about good old-fashioned meat loaf? Easy, quick, no muss and no fuss.

I sweat some onions, celery (garlic at the last minute), toss with the gb along with an egg, a piece of bread torn up and soaked in a little bit of milk, thyme, basil, salt, pepper. Pop it into a foil-lined pan, bake at 350 for about 40 minutes.

About 15 minutes before it's done, spoon on a bit of tomato sauce simmered with more of the same spices.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 04:00:59 PM by Thor »
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 03:58:10 PM »
I forgot to mention that. Have some leftover meatloaf in the fridge......  :thatsright:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 04:00:45 PM by Thor »
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 04:00:48 PM »
I forgot to mention that. Have some leftover meatloaf in the fridge......  :thatsright:

meatballs! Swedish or Italian.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 04:03:03 PM by Thor »

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 04:01:41 PM »
meatballs! Swedish or Italian.

That's an appetizer unless I have them with spaghetti.....  been there, done that, too....

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 04:06:44 PM »
Stuffed Peppers or Cabbage Rolls.  But, what I do is this:

Brown the meat, with onion.

Add sliced peppers or cabbage, and saute

Add tomato sauce and whatever spices.

Add cooked rice. 

Toss in a casserole, top with cheese and heat through.

Same taste, a lot less work.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 04:40:15 PM »
Nice try, Tots..... remember, I HATE cooked veggies?? Especially green peppers & cabbage. (I like green peppers on Fajitas, though....) Cabbage, when lightly steamed is OK. If it reaches "mushiness"..... :puke:

Inga would like that, though..... I guess I could have a PB& J sandwich..... ::)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 04:51:52 PM »
Nice try, Tots..... remember, I HATE cooked veggies?? Especially green peppers & cabbage. (I like green peppers on Fajitas, though....) Cabbage, when lightly steamed is OK. If it reaches "mushiness"..... :puke:

Inga would like that, though..... I guess I could have a PB& J sandwich..... ::)

:thatsright:

Salisbury Steak?   
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 04:35:44 AM »
I like a meat pie but you don't like veggies. Maybe just a meat and onion pie would suite you? Just caramelize the onions cook the meat add any spice you like and bake in a pie crust.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 04:51:08 AM »
http://www.bettycrocker.com/products/hamburger-helper

Help for hamburger with boxtops.  Come on, what more could you need?

Offline Wayne

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 07:18:58 AM »
   Use ground sausage instead... Same food different results..

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 07:29:14 AM »
I like a meat pie but you don't like veggies. Maybe just a meat and onion pie would suite you? Just caramelize the onions cook the meat add any spice you like and bake in a pie crust.

Shepherd's pie is sorta what you mean, I think. Top with mashed potatoes and bake.

Hell, it won't kill you. The Brits do it all the time.

Online Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 12:35:49 PM »
If you don't mind green beans here's one my wife makes:

preheat oven to 350, brown the ground beef and season with S&P and onion powder. Mix 1/2 (you need 2 cans total) a can of cream of mushroom soup with the beef. In a 13 X 9 (?) X 2 dish (glass) spread the beef in the bottom, drain 2 cans of cut green beans and spread on top. Then take one bag of tater tots (round ones) and spread on top of that. Now spread the rest of the soup on the tots. Bake for 45 min or until heated through and slightly browned on top.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 01:43:27 PM »
Sicilian Meat Roll (Pain in the ass to make, but excellent)

2 - lbs ground beef
1 - tsp MSG
1 - tbs garlic powder
1 - tsp (each) of salt & pepper
2 - tbs Italian spices (McCormick or equiv)
3 - eggs
3/4 - cup Hunt's tomato sauce, or homemade ragu

Mix all of the above in a large bowl (by hand), and divide into two equal portions

Lay out two 24" x 24" sections of aluminum foil on countertop, place an equal portion of meat mixture in the center of each.  Flatten meat paste (by hand) into a large area until it is approximately, and uniformly about 3/8 inch thick.

Leaving about 2 inches of exposed meat paste around all of the edges, cover the rest of each flattened meat portion with a layer of thinly sliced Prosciutto (by "thin" I mean that you can read a book through it).  Next, cover the Prosciutto with a layer of grated mozzarella (apply cheese generously).

Beginning at one edge, carefully roll up the meat mixture using the foil to do it, so that the end result is similar to a "jelly roll"......pinch off ends and seal joints to make a cylindrical "meatloaf".  If properly made, it should be about three inches in diameter, and a little over a foot long.  Seal in the foil used to make the roll initially, and either freeze for later use, or refrigerate for later preparation.  Allow to "settle" in refrigerator for at least four hours.

(Makes two meatrolls)

Meal Preparation:

Place meatroll (still wrapped in foil) on broiler pan, and bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.  Remove from oven, open foil, and return to oven for an additional 15 minutes at 450 degrees.

Prepare your favorite pasta (I usually use Ziti), and serve meatroll with a topping of homemade ragu, with pasta on the side.

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 01:43:48 PM »
If you don't mind green beans here's one my wife makes:

preheat oven to 350, brown the ground beef and season with S&P and onion powder. Mix 1/2 (you need 2 cans total) a can of cream of mushroom soup with the beef. In a 13 X 9 (?) X 2 dish (glass) spread the beef in the bottom, drain 2 cans of cut green beans and spread on top. Then take one bag of tater tots (round ones) and spread on top of that. Now spread the rest of the soup on the tots. Bake for 45 min or until heated through and slightly browned on top.

That's something new...... might have to give that a try. I wonder how frozen green beans will turn out??

DOC, that sounds kind of good, too.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 01:48:11 PM by Thor »

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 02:04:20 PM »
Bacon wrapped patties cooked on the pit and topped off with cheese.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
Game day: meatballs in bbq sauce :yum:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.