Author Topic: subway cat gets a comeuppance  (Read 1059 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
subway cat gets a comeuppance
« on: July 08, 2009, 05:58:00 AM »
http://demopedia.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x5977223

Oh my.

The subway cat gets caught in error.

undergroundpanther  (1000+ posts)        Fri Jul-03-09 03:04 AM
Original message

Hate crime prevention act..

(the fundies are gonna hate it)

The Hate Crimes Prevention Act which has passed the House of Representatives by an overwhelming margin is now facing hearings in the Senate. There are already similar hate crime laws in place, however, this bill imposes much stronger federal enforcement.....blahblahblah......

The stuttering primitive:

ccharles000  (1000+ posts)        Fri Jul-03-09 03:08 AM
Response to Original message

1. thanks for posting this panther

undergroundpanther  (1000+ posts)        Fri Jul-03-09 03:30 AM
Response to Reply #1

2. you are welcome

Just found it. Thought it was interesting,yet kinda disturbing too. If it is used the wrong way it could be horrible, but on the other hand it could also be used to silence bigots,and bible thumping assholes that justify their own bullying bullshit behind religion,and it could shut up most bullies,racists ,sexists and gay bashers,and it could be a death knell for faux news,and asshole talk show hosts like Rush, finally.

RandomThoughts  (1000+ posts)        Fri Jul-03-09 03:47 AM

3. It will require alot of interpretation to decide what is an intent, or what is hostile 

And will it be applied uniformly across all groups?

Bush's run up for war was hate speech.

Advocating for positions that allow for economic or social forces to hurt someone would be hate speech.

It is such a broad definition, and includes individual interpretation. So juries will have to figure what someones intent was. If it was used equally, that might be possible, but will it be used only on certain issues?

What about poets that have their poetry misinterpreted. What about someone that makes a movie with violence in it? what about a book? what about a search engine that points to mean thoughts? what about a negative campaign ad? what about comedian's jokes? What about a history lesson that teaches different points of view for learning? What about soldiers deployed in a battle? What about police officers that use intimidation to subdue a perp? What about judges that comment on a criminal before sentencing? What about media that sets a cultural norm that then makes social actions happen that hurt people? What about a sports player that comments on another player? What about TV shows that speak of much of society as violent or terrible? What about legislation that creates economically hostile situations for many people in society? What about bosses that threaten starvation by saying a person may be fired for something? What about CEOs that instruct bosses to be tough on employees to meet economic goals?

What about laws that threaten to put people in jail for 2 years based on what someone else might think they said?

Who gets to decide when it is a crime, when it is thought provoking, satire, or commentary?

What if someone makes a claim a person is thinking wrong for reasons of racism or social choices or other reasons, because they don't want to face that it is their actions that are commented on, not some stereotype. What if they use it as an excuse to stop valid comments on peoples actions?

And more importantly, why are we even discussing prosecuting hate speech, when we have war criminals still not prosecuted, and we have economic criminals causing suffering to millions.

And then the bonfire-douser:

JustinL  (326 posts)      Fri Jul-03-09 05:59 AM

5. that text is NOT from the Hate Crimes Prevention Act

It's from HR 1966, the "Megan Meier Cyberbullying Prevention Act". HR 1966 has not passed; the last action was a referral to a House subcommittee.

The "Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009", HR 1913, does not contain any similar text.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Re: subway cat gets a comeuppance
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 07:33:00 AM »
Ruh ruh. Kitties don't like cold water splashed on them.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Karin

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 07:37:02 AM »
Well, except for his last paragraph, hat's off to RandomThoughts. 

Bible-thumping bullying assholes.  You know, I just don't see them as much as that cat does.  Where are they all?

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 10:52:37 AM »
I find it funny that UGP is the very thing she accuses everyone else of being. :mental:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 12:16:34 PM »
I find it funny that UGP is the very thing she accuses everyone else of being. :mental:

Either there are no mirrors on Skin's Island, or all the residents are vampires....
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.