Author Topic: Rita Hayworth primitive puts onions in her pantyhose  (Read 1145 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Rita Hayworth primitive puts onions in her pantyhose
« on: May 29, 2009, 05:20:50 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x65382

No comment.

AwakeAtLast  (1000+ posts)        Thu May-28-09 09:37 PM
Original message

Too many onions - suggestions please!

My thoughtful Dad gave me about 9 or 10 vidalia onions. I'm glad he thought of me, but I had just bought a new bag of yellow onions. Now I don't know what to do with all of them. There's just me, picky husband and even pickier 7 y/o. French onion soup is out, unless I want to eat it by myself for a week.

Anyone have any quick and easy summer ideas for all of these onions?

The Rita Hayworth primitive:

Tangerine LaBamba  (1000+ posts)      Thu May-28-09 09:44 PM
Response to Original message

1. They're not the same as yellow onions, and you don't want to use them the same way.

Here's a site that's fun and loaded with information and ideas - or, just google "Vidalia onion recipes," and you get tons of hits.

Try them in salads and sandwiches and chopped up in tuna salad, egg salad, and topping scrambled eggs, with thinly-sliced cucumbers with sour cream, pizza toppings - all raw.

The classic way to store Vidalias - since they'll rot if they touch each other - is in a pair of pantyhose, tying off each onion separately. I used to have loaded panty hose, three or four pair, hanging over my kitchen door when you could only get Vidalias in April.

You have a nice Dad who has GREAT taste in onions..................................

The empressof all   (1000+ posts)        Thu May-28-09 09:45 PM

2. Slice them thin

Throw them in your crock pot with a stick of butter. Cook for about 6 hours check and stir --If necessary cook some more. When they are as brown as you like pack them in little baggies and freeze them to throw into stews, soups and casserolles. I'd also use a bunch in a lovely onion tart...Think Quiche without the cheese. Or you could just add the cheese and some bacon or ham and go for the quiche.

I brown my onions in the crock pot all the time. I like having them handy in the fridge. I do it without the butter alas but give the crock pot a good spray with Olive Oil. It's not as good but it still works. Since you are using fresh sweet onions you'll need to check the crock pot for moisture build up. When I do Walla walls sweets this way I take the cover off the crock pot a bit to allow for the moisture to evaporate

The Jiffy peanut butter primitive, the husband of the American Nana primitive, the NanceGreggs idiot:

JeffR  (1000+ posts)        Fri May-29-09 01:59 AM

3. Give the yellow onions away.

Then pick up those Vidalias and hug them.

Then eat them, on sandwiches, in soups and salads, chili, casseroles. Cut some up very fine, add them to a Dijon sauce and bake chicken in it. Mix them with dirty rice. Use them in spaghetti sauce.

Best of all, use them for onion rings.

japple  (1000+ posts)      Fri May-29-09 07:08 AM

4. You could make onion relish or pickled onions and give it away as gifts. It's not hard and, if you have a large pot to use as a waterbath canner, you don't need a pressure canner. If you're interested in a recipe, just let me know and I'll dig them out.

Now, that's really silly, giving away onion products as gifts.

Although once when I was a little lad, out trick-or-treating on a Halloween night, an old lady who didn't expect children at her door made me a grilled cheese sandwich.

Retrograde  (1000+ posts)      Fri May-29-09 12:43 PM

5. no such thing as too many onions if I ever write a cookbook every recipe will start with "First, chop an onion"

What about Indian dishes? There's a whole style of Indian cooking called dopiaza (google for recipes) that essentially means "meat cooked with twice as many onions". The onions themselves cook down much like in French onion soup, and caramelize.

And onion relishes, pickled onions, onion tarts - I like to mix caramelized onions with the dough when I make foccacia - hamburgers with a large slice of onion, fried onion rings - or you could just send the Vidalias to me, since they're rare in these parts.

The sparkling husband primitive:

Stinky The Clown  (1000+ posts)        Fri May-29-09 05:27 PM
Response to Reply #5

6. The Stinky jello recipe starts with ......

... "Chop a whole head of garlic."

"Stinky" is earned.

No wonder the sparkling husband primitive's wife makes him use the bathroom in the basement.

AwakeAtLast  (1000+ posts)        Fri May-29-09 05:34 PM
Response to Reply #5

9. I do use onions but right now I'm not cooking as much soup as I normally do and there's not much garden stuff yet, so I was looking for in between ideas.

I make German potatoes, and the same thing happens to the onions as you describe, I use twice to three times as many onions as I do potatoes!
apres moi, le deluge

Offline RobJohnson

Re: Rita Hayworth primitive puts onions in her pantyhose
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 11:20:11 PM »
I love onions and I have been getting some nice ones from the farmer's market.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 08:20:15 AM »
Storing Vidalias in pantyhose is the recommended way to store them....works in the refrigerator too for a short time. They have a high water content and will rot easily.

They are a great sweet onion, and used to only be available for a month...now they can be found for about 6 months. Scientists are working on them to have a longer growing period and to grow them other places. The originals come from a specific area of Georgia.

Take a raw one, cut the top off and core out a little bit, put in a custard cup or a ramekin, put butter in the "hole" along with about a teaspoon of granulated beef bouillon, shake on a little garlic powder and black pepper. Microwave for 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle some parmesean cheese on top, microwave another couple of minutes, or until soft. Tastes just like french onion soup. :drool:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 10:26:55 AM »
Nothing like a slice of red onion with a chunk of pepperjack cheese on it........... :drool:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Flame

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 10:48:16 AM »
Storing Vidalias in pantyhose is the recommended way to store them....works in the refrigerator too for a short time. They have a high water content and will rot easily.

They are a great sweet onion, and used to only be available for a month...now they can be found for about 6 months. Scientists are working on them to have a longer growing period and to grow them other places. The originals come from a specific area of Georgia.

Take a raw one, cut the top off and core out a little bit, put in a custard cup or a ramekin, put butter in the "hole" along with about a teaspoon of granulated beef bouillon, shake on a little garlic powder and black pepper. Microwave for 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle some parmesean cheese on top, microwave another couple of minutes, or until soft. Tastes just like french onion soup. :drool:

Oh my, that sounds divine!

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 01:22:15 PM »
Oh my, that sounds divine!

The other half uses soy sauce instead, he likes it better than the beef granules. I like it worchestershire also. Just make sure to not add salt until after it's cooked. All three have a lot of salt and them and it's better to taste first....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.