Author Topic: Jipper discovers higher taxes negatively impact sales  (Read 764 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Jipper discovers higher taxes negatively impact sales
« on: December 27, 2016, 12:56:13 PM »
Major Hogwash    (778 posts)    

Do they tax hybrid cars in your state?

I was looking in to buying a hybrid car, and I just found out that Idaho has a hybrid car tax. It really surprised me because hybrid cars save fuel when the car is waiting at a stop light. And they are more economical. Yet, the cars cost more initially, so the state taxes paid for the car are more than for just a gas-fueled car, or for a car running on diesel.

I’m bummed out.

Grateful Curd     (151 posts)

1. I think Wisconsin has talked about it but not passed it yet.

The roads are supported by a gas tax so if people aren’t burning gas the roads suffer. That is why they think it a good idea to make energy-conscious people pay more. A small-minded idea if you ask me. I think a better way would be to tax by mileage driven and have a graduated scale so business vehicles and personal vehicles are taxed at different rates.

We have two Priuses. It is nice to get 55 mpg

It's never too late to stop being stupid, until it is.

http://www.jackpineradicals.com/boards/topic/do-they-tax-hybrid-cars-in-your-state/
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline thundley4

Re: Jipper discovers higher taxes negatively impact sales
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 01:24:56 PM »
Grateful Curd     (151 posts)

1. I think Wisconsin has talked about it but not passed it yet.

The roads are supported by a gas tax so if people aren’t burning gas the roads suffer. That is why they think it a good idea to make energy-conscious people pay more. A small-minded idea if you ask me.

No DUmmie, they don't want you to pay more. They just want you to pay your Fair Share for using the roads.  :lmao:

Offline VelvetElvis

• Misunderestimated
  • Drill Sgt for the DeathSquadHateForce
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 02:05:43 PM »

No DUmmie, they don't want you to pay more. They just want you to pay your Fair Share for using the roads.  :lmao:

Oooooooooooo!!!
The Truth!!! It Burns!!!!!! :rotf:
Proud Member of the Death Squad Hate Force Since  1980

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 07:34:20 PM »

Oooh... that's gonna leave a mark

Offline Adam Wood

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 02:38:00 AM »
Major Hogwash    (778 posts)    

Do they tax hybrid cars in your state?

I was looking in to buying a hybrid car, and I just found out that Idaho has a hybrid car tax. It really surprised me because hybrid cars save fuel when the car is waiting at a stop light. And they are more economical. Yet, the cars cost more initially, so the state taxes paid for the car are more than for just a gas-fueled car, or for a car running on diesel.

I’m bummed out.
Hold the phone.

DUmmie here is claiming, essentially, that there is a special "hybrid car tax" in Idaho because hybrids cost more than non-hybrid cars.  Much like the idiotic claim that there is a "special anti-woman tax" because women buy tampons and men don't, or something.

And yet these are the very same people who gleefully cheered on a luxury car tax because those evil rich bastards who can afford a luxury car deserve to pay more because they're rich and they shouldn't be able to have nice cars without paying more in taxes for the crime of being rich.

So now you don't like it because more expensive cars are taxed more, DUmmie?  Well, suck it, DUmmie!  Suck it long and hard, because you brought this upon yourself for being the petulant, greedy little puke that you are.  I hope you choke on it hard, DUmmie.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 07:34:13 AM »
This idea has been kicked around for several years in West Coast states. Electric cars and small hybrids used highways, roads, and streets, but pay little in gas taxes. That latter is the "problem". State governments want the money (the taxes supposedly collected to build and maintain highways, etc. tend to get diverted to mass transit boondoggles, CA's high-speed massive-bullet-boondoggle, and social programs, so maintaining and improving roads isn't the real concern in this).

Speaking hypothetically, I would have no problem with the basis for taxation being switched from gallons purchased to miles driven. Realistically, I know legislators cannot be trusted not to do both, i.e. add a per-mile-driven tax on top of the unchanged per-gallon tax. I also do not trust legislators not to implement a per-mile-driven tax in a way that would enable government to monitor where car owners drive.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 07:45:09 AM »
Speaking hypothetically, I would have no problem with the basis for taxation being switched from gallons purchased to miles driven. Realistically, I know legislators cannot be trusted not to do both, i.e. add a per-mile-driven tax on top of the unchanged per-gallon tax.

That's it.  I don't have a problem with a gasoline tax or a miles-driven tax.....but I do have a problem with that the politicians, rather than replacing one tax with the other, will simply add the second tax on top of what we already have.

Unless absolute repeal of gasoline tax is part of the deal, I'm not at all confident about this miles-driven tax.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 07:49:56 AM »
That's it.  I don't have a problem with a gasoline tax or a miles-driven tax.....but I do have a problem with that the politicians, rather than replacing one tax with the other, will simply add the second tax on top of what we already have.

Unless absolute repeal of gasoline tax is part of the deal, I'm not at all confident about this miles-driven tax.

Frank . . . do you know of a politician that ever met a tax they didn't like?  (Excepting conservatives, probably.)
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.