Author Topic: Nader: Obama Not Black President He Hoped For  (Read 747 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Nader: Obama Not Black President He Hoped For
« on: August 06, 2008, 01:38:25 PM »

I initially chuckled over this, but then I realized that getting criticized by ralph nader would
probably make you look sage and moderate. :-)

Nader: Obama Not Black Prez He Hoped For

ABC News' Teddy Davis Reports: Independent presidential candidate Ralph Nader ripped Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., on Wednesday, saying that the presumptive Democratic nominee would not make the kind of African-American president that he and other members of the civil rights movement worked to make possible.

"People who have fought the civil rights battle -- politically, economically, legally -- as we have since the 50's would often talk about, 'Look what would happen if we had an African-American president or chairpersons of major congressional committees,'" said Nader. "It doesn't look like it's going to be what we all thought it would be."

"I lost respect for him," Nader said of Obama "when I saw him over a year ago on C-SPAN vigorously opposed to the impeachment of Bush and Cheney -- vigorously opposed. He said it would be 'divisive'. That is a cop out word. We have the most multiply impeachable presidency in American history."

Nader made his comments at a breakfast with reporters in Washington, D.C., sponsored by the Christian Science Monitor. It was not the first time that the perennial presidential candidate has been critical of the Democrat who would be the nation's first African-American president. Back in June, in an interview with the Rocky Mountain News, Nader accused Obama of downplaying poverty issues, trying to "talk white" and appealing to "white guilt" during his run for the White House.

The liberal consumer rights activist has become a pariah among many in the Democratic Party who blame him for tipping the closely contested 2000 election from then-Vice President Al Gore to then-Texas Gov. George W. Bush by winning 97,421 votes in the State of Florida.

More

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: Nader: Obama Not Black President He Hoped For
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 02:47:08 PM »
Me neither.  I wanted Condi Rice.

:tongue:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Jim

Re: Nader: Obama Not Black President He Hoped For
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 03:05:58 PM »
Old Ralph may be a flake but he got this right...

Back in June, in an interview with the Rocky Mountain News, Nader accused Obama of downplaying poverty issues, trying to "talk white" and appealing to "white guilt" during his run for the White House.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.