Author Topic: Anybody watch, "The Expanse"?  (Read 1080 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Anybody watch, "The Expanse"?
« on: January 13, 2021, 10:11:01 PM »
I'm enjoying it.

Sometimes it feels like the physics they try to capture can be a little hit and miss, but I like their efforts to deal with the effects of gravity and inertia more than the standard sci fi fare.

The lead is my least favorite character and least favorite actor. I look at the character and think, "Christ, what an asshole." And he's supposed to be a hero.

As an actor, he tries to pour it on in more emotional scenes that are personal or suspenseful. He starts his build, then at the peak, it just breaks down. He can't sell it.

I looked up the actor. Oh, he's also the executive producer.

I guess that explains why his character gets to bang the hot chick.

The other characters, I love. They're complex and well written (and better acted). Real memorable. Amos, Drummer, and Arasavala are fan favorites; me included.

The plots and pacing keep me coming back.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Re: Anybody watch, "The Expanse"?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 10:14:43 PM »
Holden is supposed to be an idealistic dreamer.  He continues to **** up because he thinks he is better than the other people around him, morally.

He is a dumbest one on the show, because it is set up that way. He's not the hero.

It's deep.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 06:45:42 PM »
 A bit late to this thread, but I love the show, the detail about space and how humans can survive in it including the problems associated with doing so is excellent. Storyline ain't so bad either.  :wink:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 08:20:44 PM »
Love it
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 09:28:53 AM »
Love this show. Been watching since the first season.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 02:50:58 AM »
Well, damn, that was unexpected.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline Workover

• Retired and loving it
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 05:08:49 PM »
I’ll have to give it a shot but I’m in “shock” now. Not only is Captain Marvel female, she’s gay.
If you’re not having fun it’s your own damn fault!

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 01:30:28 AM »
I’ll have to give it a shot but I’m in “shock” now. Not only is Captain Marvel female, she’s gay.

In the comics Captain Marvel was always a female but was never gay. Thanks to Marvel and Disney being "woke" we get a retcon of her character.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline thundley4

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 11:09:31 AM »
In the comics Captain Marvel was always a female but was never gay. Thanks to Marvel and Disney being "woke" we get a retcon of her character.

I remember the DC Shazam/Captain Marvel. I don't recall no female one.

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 01:06:50 PM »
In the comics Captain Marvel was always a female but was never gay. Thanks to Marvel and Disney being "woke" we get a retcon of her character

I remember the DC Shazam/Captain Marvel. I don't recall no female one.

The original Marvel comics Captain Mar-vel was a white skinned, male Kree (as opposed to a blue skinned Kree like Ronan)  IIRC, to hold onto their copyright of the name, Marvel Comics has used the name several times on different characters, including a black woman who could change into any form of energy (that's one of the coolest ones, IMHO) and Carol Danvers, a character who has held numerous names, costumes, and powers over several decades of comics.  She most closely fits the MCU Captain Marvel, I believe, without most of the wokeness.

Shazam/Captain Marvel was a victim of copyright laws, first DC claiming he was a superman ripoff, which killed the character for a long time, then DC got the character rights, but Marvel Comics had a new Captain Marvel copyrighted by then, leading to the Shazam name.  /end geek spiel
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 02:33:23 PM »
The original Marvel comics Captain Mar-vel was a white skinned, male Kree (as opposed to a blue skinned Kree like Ronan)  IIRC, to hold onto their copyright of the name, Marvel Comics has used the name several times on different characters, including a black woman who could change into any form of energy (that's one of the coolest ones, IMHO) and Carol Danvers, a character who has held numerous names, costumes, and powers over several decades of comics.  She most closely fits the MCU Captain Marvel, I believe, without most of the wokeness.

Shazam/Captain Marvel was a victim of copyright laws, first DC claiming he was a superman ripoff, which killed the character for a long time, then DC got the character rights, but Marvel Comics had a new Captain Marvel copyrighted by then, leading to the Shazam name.  /end geek spiel

There's a new character coming to Disney+ that will be using the Marvel name. Kamala Khan, who's been in the comics since 2003 and in the Avengers videogame from last year, goes by the name Ms. Marvel and will be appearing in her own show and the film Captain Marvel 2.

Offline Workover

• Retired and loving it
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2021, 05:00:44 PM »
The only Captain Marvel I ever saw before this last movie was all white male. There was also a Miss Marvel as Ms had not yet shoved it’s way into common use. This was in the 40’s and 50’s.
If you’re not having fun it’s your own damn fault!