Author Topic: From my list:  (Read 1974 times)

Offline CG6468

From my list:
« on: July 19, 2013, 08:13:07 PM »
Cowboy rules for: Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming , Montana, Utah, Idaho, Nebraska, and the rest of the Wild West are as follows: (as well as some sections of California!)

1. Pull your pants up. You look like an idiot.

2. Turn your cap right, your head ain't crooked.

3. Let's get this straight: it's called a 'gravel road.' I drive a pickup truck because I want to. No matter how slow you drive, you're gonna get dust on your Lexus. Drive it or get out of the way.

4. They are cattle. That's why they smell like cattle. They smell like money to us. Get over it. Don't like it? I-10 & I-40 go east and west, I-17 & I-15 go north and south. Pick one and go.

5. So you have a $60,000 car. We're impressed. We have $350,000 Combines that are driven only 3 weeks a year.

6. Every person in the Wild West waves. It's called being friendly. Try to understand the concept.

7. If that cell phone rings while a bunch of geese or pheasants or ducksor doves are comin' in during a hunt, we WILL shoot it outta your hand. You better hope you don't have it up to your ear at the time.

8. Yeah. We eat trout, salmon, deer and elk. You really want sushi and caviar? It's available at the corner bait shop.

9. The 'Opener' refers to the first day of deer season. It's a religious holiday held the closest Saturday to the first of November.

10. We open doors for women. That's applied to all women, regardless of age.

11. No, there's no 'vegetarian special' on the menu. Order steak, or you can order the Chef's Salad and pick off the 2 pounds of ham and turkey.

12. When we fill out a table, there are three main dishes: meats, vegetables, and breads. We use three spices: salt, pepper, and ketchup! Oh, yeah... We don't care what you folks in Cincinnati call that stuff you eat... IT AIN'T REAL CHILI!!

13. You bring 'Coke' into my house, it better be brown, wet and served over ice. You bring 'Mary Jane' into my house, she better be cute, know how to shoot, drive a truck, and have long hair.

14. College and High School Football is as important here as the Giants, the Yankees, the Mets, the Lakers and the Knicks, and a dang site more fun to watch.

15. Yeah, we have golf courses. But don't hit the water hazards - it spooks the fish.

16. Turn down that blasted car stereo! That thumpity-thump ain't music, anyway. We don't want to hear it anymore than we want to see your boxers! Refer back to #1!
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline CG6468

Re: From my list:
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 08:16:13 PM »
A city boy moved to a home in the country. He decided to take a walk and check out the area. He came to a farm, and the farmer had a sign posted: “Chickens for sale”.

He walked up to the farmer and said he wanted to buy a female chicken. The farmer told him that in the country they referred to that as a pullet. He said, “OK, I’ll buy a pullet.”

He then said he wanted to buy a male chicken. The farmer told him that in the country, that was referred to as a cock. He said, “Well, OK. I want to also buy a cock.”

He tucked a chicken under each arm and walked down the driveway, and he noticed that the farmer also had a mule for sale. He told the farmer that he wanted to buy the mule, and the farmer told him that in the country it was referred to as an ass. He said to the farmer, OK. I want to buy the ass.”

As he walked out of the driveway, the farmer yelled to him, “HEY! Sometimes that ass gets stubborn and sits down. The ONLY way to get him to move is to scratch his ears!” The city boy thanked him for the advice.

Sure enough, while walking down the road on the way home, the mule sat down and refused to move. He kicked the mule and tried what he could, but he couldn’t put the chickens down because they’d run away. Just then a beautiful woman drove up and asked if she could help him.

He thought to himself, “Hmmmm. Here’s my chance to impress this lady with my knowledge of how things are done in the country.”

He responded, “Yes! Would you please hold my cock and pullet while I scratch my ass?”

Offline CG6468

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 08:20:10 PM »
Yooper Dictionary.

YOOPER DICTIONARY

Yoopers are those residents of the U.S., largely of Finnish and other Scandinavian descent, who reside in the Upper Peninsula (U.P.) of Michigan (De Yooper Peninsula.)

A  Affected Time Zone Disorder  This is a problem suffered by those Yoopers who live on the Central/Eastern time zone line in the southwestern section of da Upper Peninsula. Four counties in da U.P., Menominee, Dickinson, Iron and Gogebic, operate in the Central Time Zone. Those who live in this area are often heard to say, "Is that my time or your time?"

Apple Knocker  A person from the Lower Peninsula. Usually a hunter who likes to hunt in da U.P.  B
 Babysit  That yellow stuff in diapers.

Beer
Da Yoopers favorite drink.

Big Bad John
Sixty foot statue of a miner that welcomes you to the Iron Mountain iron mine tourist attraction in Vulcan, Michigan.

Black Ice
It's not in your drink! It's the kind of ice you don't know is on the road until your car starts to go out of control!

"Breakwind"
Nickname given to the student newspaper "Northwind" at Northern Michigan University.

C

Canucks
Canadians (name most often heard in Sault Ste. Marie "Da Soo")

Cheesehead
A native of the neighboring state of Wisconsin.

Choppers
A deer skin mitten with a wool mitten insert. What Yoopers wear to keep their hands warm. Choppers are also part of Yooper active wear that include a Chuke and a pair of Swampers.

Chuke
What the Trolls call a stocking cap. A knitted hat usually with a tassel and usually hand knit by your grandmother. Pronounced "Chook, Sounds like book" or "Chuke, Sounds like puke." (see also "Touke").

Crawler Gear
4WD Low gear in a four-by-four; used for inching or crawling along in treacherous terrain.

CHP  Crawling Home Puker
Cudighi  A hamburger-like sandwich with a spicier meat, mozzarella cheese and tomato sauce.  D
Da Bears  Da NFL team Da Yoopers hate the most!
Da Camp  Where male Yoopers go each Fall - Hunting Camp; usually means deer camp

Da Doo Wop Malt Shop
Da ultimate place to go for 50's style malts, sodas and ice cream treats. Enjoy 50's style decor and juke box. Located at the top of the hill in Norway, MI. Turn right at the top of Norway Hill and follow signs.

Da Locks
The Locks system in the St. Mary's River in Da Soo. Very beneficial maritime navigational aid for shipping, and a source of confusion for Fudgies (Why are the Locks built here? Why weren't they built someplace where more people could see them, like Detroit or Chicago?)

Da Mitten  Another nickname Yoopers have for da Lower Peninsula.  Da Pack  Da NFL team dat da Yoopers love da most!  Da Soo  Sault Ste. Marie, Yooperland. Right across the border from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Great White North.

Da Yooper Bowl
This football game was played for the first time, this fall (1996), in California. It featured Steve Mariucci's California Golden Bears against John Ralston and San Jose State. (Mariucci is a native of Iron Mountain. Ralston is a native of Norway, Michigan.)

Da Yoopers
Not only means the inhabitants of Michigan's UP, but also the name of one of the most popular bands in da U.P.

DNR
The organization most responsible for the extinction of native brook trout in Yooperland. Also known as the Department of No Results.

Dippin'
To go smelt dipping. Especially on the first weekend of the smelt running at the Days River outside Gladstone

Dreaded Dash of Death, The  When you try to cross US 41 by the Yoopers Tourist Trap and not get killed by a boss beer truck.

E

Edmund Fitzgerald
Iron ore carrier, steaming out of Duluth, that sank 15 miles off of Whitefish Point with all 29 hands on 10 November 1975 during a hurricane-force gale on Lake Superior. Also the inspiration for Gordon Lightfoot's tribute, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald."

Eh
A word that ends practically every sentence in the U.P. (example: "Say ya to da U.P., Eh!").

Eino
Half of famous Finnish duo Toivo and Eino. Many, many yooper jokes feature Toivo and Eino!

F

Fifteen-two
The game of Cribbage

Finglish
The official language of Da U.P. Examples- Dese, Dem Dose, and De Udders (and De Udders ain't on De Cow!)

Flatlander  A person from the lower peninsula (see also "Loper" and "Troll").

Flivver
Nickname of Kingsford high school sports teams. It comes from the name given to a Model A Ford that was produced in Kingsford in the 1920's.

Fudgie
Affectionate term for tourists (usually Trolls) who buy massive amounts of homemade fudge while on Mackinac Island and at Da Locks in Da Soo.

G

Gaas (as spoken in Crystal Falls)
Da stuff dat makes cars and lawn mowers go.

Give 'er tarpaper
To work feverishly, something Yoopers are famous for.

Going Shop-ko (or Co-op)
Yooper phrase meaning "Going to the store."

Greater Michigan  What Trolls call the Lower Peninsula.  Great White North  Canada.  H  Head 'er For Sagola  Let's paint the town red!
Heikki Lunta
In Yooperland mythology, the god of snow.

Hematites
Nickname of Ishpeming high school sports teams. Comes from a type of iron ore mined in the Ishpeming area.

Holy Man!  Not used to describe a clergyman, but rather as the ultimate Yooper exclamation. Used when a mere "Holy Whaa" doesn't suffice. The A-bomb of Yooper exclamations.

Holyowha
Yooper expletive meaning, roughly "Holy _______!"

I

IGA
Da Grocery Store

J

Jumbo
Quart of beer you drink while sittin' on da porch and listenin' to da Tigers.

K

Knockin' Pine
"He's spending Saturday night without a date!"

Kromer
The historical old-fashioned hat with ear flaps and a flannel lining worn by loggers and miners in photos from the U.P. boom years. Made by the Kromer company in Milwaukee Wisconsin, and still sold in select fashion emporiums in the U.P. A favorite of Yooper outdoorsmen.

L

Lambeau Field
Mecca for Yooper football fans. Located in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Home of the 1995 Central Division champion Green Bay Packers! Yoopers have been known to bow toward this structure three times daily!

Lats
Skis, usually homemade.

Loper
Native of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan (see also "Troll" and "Flatlander").

M

Marble Orchard
Cemetery.

The Mining Urinal
Nickname given to the Marquette County newspaper The Mining Journal

Modeltowner
Nickname of Gwinn high school sports teams.

Motor City Madman
See Ted Nugent.

N

Nine-O-Six (906)
God's area code (the area code for all of Yooperland).

Noseeums
Tiny gnats capable of driving strong men insane.

O

Overseas
Anything sout' of da Bridge.
P

Packer-Backer-Maki
Budweiser drinkin’-snow machine ridin'-snow suit wearin’-Skoal chewin’-Green Bay Packer fanatics.

Pasty
Finnish (or Cornish, depending on who you want to believe!) meat pie made with onions beef and potatoes. Many variations on the basic recipe have been created. Some include rutabaga and cayenne pepper. The pasty was introduced to the U.P. by immigrants in the 1880's. Best to buy those that are made in da U.P. Those made elsewhere don't taste nearly as good. If it's made below the Mackinac bridge, don't buy it unless a certified Yooper has prepared it!

Pine Mountain Ski Jump
One of the world's best 90 meter free-standing ski jumps. Since 1939, has held annual ski jumping tournament. In 1996 held World Cup ski jump event; the first one in United States since 1990. Masahiko Harada of Japan set a new hill record with a jump of 459 feet, a jump that also tied the North American Ski Jumping record. Pine Mountain Resort is also a great place for recreational downhill and cross-country skiing. Located in Iron Mountain.

Pre'ner  Stands for "pretty near" as in: There were pre'ner tirty bucks out by da camp! Or, We're pre'ner Felch now.

Q  Quill Pig  The native U.P. porcupine.  R  Raha  Money or other medium of exchange.  Ralph  A small community in Da U.P. Also means to drink too much and toss your cookies!  RAM-ing. Running amuck.
Out for a road trip or a day of heavy duty shopping!

Rest Stop
Public bathroom near the highway. (rare in Yooperland)

S

Sail Rabbit
Delicacy enjoyed by diehard Yoopers. Actually it's the flattened rabbit (or other varmint) you find on the highway that just missed making it across US 2 with the rest of his bunny friends. The more vehicles that have run over it, the better! After peeling off the road let dry on the front porch or in the back of your pickup truck. When dry, sail it through the air like a frisbee.

Seney Stretch
The "Seney Stretch" is an approximately 18 mile stretch of M-28 from Seney to Shingleton. This stretch is a straight line run along the northern boundary of the Seney Wildlife Refuge. There are lots and lots of trees here, but not much else. The only notable road that intersects it (in my memory) is the Crieghton Truck Trail. This is nothing but a rut road in the finest tradition.

Side By Each
Standing next to each other. As in, "Der dey were; towsands of deer standing in da field side by each!"

Sisu
The quality possessed by Yoopers which enables them to endure and even enjoy Yooperland winters.

Sitt
Manure.

Skeeter
A large native insect known to suck small animals dry. Rumored to be Yooperland's 'state' bird. Distant cousin to the domesticated mosquito found in other areas.

Skunk Beer
It's the kind of beer that, after you have opened one and taken a sip, you realize why it was on sale for $2.99 a case! It can also make you wonder how they got the skunks to stand still and pee in the bottles!

Smart Pills
Rabbit droppings, in Yooperland legend said to increase intelligence.

Smelt'n
Fishing for smelt. Dip nets are often used. The Days River near Gladstone is a good place to go smelt'n

Snow Cow
Moose (or mother-in-law).

Snow Tank (also Snow Boat)
A big old rusty car, preferably a large Dodge, Chevy or Plymouth from the 1960's 70's or early 80's with at least 140,000 miles on it that gets about 7 miles to the gallon. When a snow storm and bad roads shut down other cars, these cars will get you to your destination. Radio, heater and windshield wipers optional. Also looks better if you have a coat hanger for an antenna and are missing at least one hub cap.

Sparklers  If a Yooper is caught wearing an extremely white pair of socks he is said to be sporting a pair of Sparklers!

Speed Beef
Those four legged critters with white tails and antlers that run in front of your car and freeze in the headlights. Best served as sausage or smoked jerky.

Stop and Go
What a traffic light is called in the U.P.

Sugarbeeter
Another term (old 1940's) for a flatlander.

Suomi Kutsu
The longest running Finnish-American television show in America. Hosted by Carl Pellonpaa, it airs on WLUC-TV 6, on Sunday mornings. Suomi Kutsu is Finnish for "Finland Calling."

Swampers
Rubber boots worn by Yoopers in the spring during the muddy season. (Not a winter boot.)

T

Taught
The past tense of Tink

Ted Nugent
Rock and roll legend and wildlife guru to Yoopers. Believes in the spirit of the wild and the preservation of wilderness paradises like the upper peninsula. Also goes by the names: Whackmaster, Uncle Ted.  Like most Yoopers, Ted won't back down and won't take crap from anybody!!! One of the few downstaters that has been adopted into the great white north Yooper society! His album "Spirit of the Wild" and songs like "Fred Bear" epitomize the feelings of those who are fortunate enough to live in the U.P.

Terrorist
People from Detroit or Ohio who visit the UP every November.

Tinking
Yooper mental process, usually done with the aid of a cigarette and a cup of coffee (or a beer).

Tip Up Town
Once winter sets in and the ice thickens on the UP’s many lakes ice fishing shanties start to appear on the lakes creating tip up towns. A "tip up" is a small fishing pole used for ice fishing.

Toivo
The other half of "Eino and Toivo". These Finnish names come up in many a Yooper joke!

Touke
Pronounced: Chouk. A winter hat worn by a Yooper, similar to a stocking cap (see also Chuke).

Trasher
Yooper party where everyone brings a bottle of booze and pours it into a trash can for all to share. A brand new trash can is recommended but not always used!

Tree
The number after one and two. Used mainly by older Yoopers.

Trenary Toast
No cup of coffee or tea is complete without a piece of Trenary toast to dunk into it. It's a hard cinnamon toast that people are willing to drive miles and miles for.

Troll
Refers to a native of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan (see also Loper and Flatlander).

Turd
Comes after first and second. Used mainly by older Yoopers!

TV 6 WLUC  For people without cable, it's the link to the outside world! Over the years people have referred to it as "With Luck U C TV!"

Tweener
Someone who is constantly running between home and da camp!

U   V 
W  Wayne Fontes  #1 cause of heartburn and ulcers among Dee-troit Lions fans in da U.P.! As of December 27, used in the past tense!  Wha!  An exclamation used only by Yoopers. used in place of "WOW!"

Where's the flood???
Translation: "Your pant legs could be lowered a few inches!"

X

Y  Ya Know?  Yooper phrase meaning "Do you agree?"  Yah, Hey!!!  You've got to be kidding me! I don't believe it!

Yooperland
The territory north of the Mackinac Bridge.

Youbetcha
Yooper phrase meaning, "Yes, without a doubt."

Youse Guys
You guys. Often used to refer to more than one person, i.e. "Are youse guys going smelt'n tonight?"

Z

Offline CG6468

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 10:41:49 AM »
IF MY BODY WAS A CAR...

If my body was a car, this is the time I would be thinking about trading it in for a newer model.

I've got bumps and dents and scratches in my finish and my paint job is getting a little dull. But that's not the worst of it.

My headlights are out of focus and it's especially hard to see things up close.

My traction is not as graceful as it once was.

I slip and slide and skid and bump into things even in the best of weather.

It takes me hours to reach my maximum speed.

My fuel burns inefficiently.

But here's the worst of it - Almost every time I sneeze, cough or sputter.....either my radiator leaks or my exhaust backfires!

Offline CG6468

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 10:49:53 AM »
YOUR MODERN HOROSCOPE

ARIES:  3/21 - 4/19
You are the pioneer type and you hold most people in contempt. You are quick-tempered, impatient, and scornful of advice. You are a rotten prick.

TAURUS:  4/20 - 5/20
You are practical and persistent. You have an aggravating determination and you work like hell. Most people think you are stubborn and bull-headed. You are nothing but a *******ed communist.

GEMINI:  5/21 - 6/21
You are a quick and intelligent thinker. All people like you because you are bisexual. However, you are inclined to expect too much for too little. This means you are cheap. Geminis are notorious for thriving on incest.

CANCER:  6/22 - 7/22
You are sympathetic and understanding to other peoples' problems. They think you are a sucker. You are always putting things off, and this is why you'll always be on welfare and never worth a shit.

LEO:  7/23 - 8/22
You consider yourself a born leader, while others think you are pushy. Most Leos are bullies. You are vain and cannot tolerate honest criticism. Your arrogance is disgusting. Leo people are always thieving bastards.

VIRGO:  8/23 - 9/22
You are the logical type & hate disorder. This nit-picking is sickening to your friends. You are cold and unemotional and you often fall asleep while making love. Virgos make excellent bus drivers and pimps.

LIBRA:  9/23 - 10/23
You are the artistic type and have a difficult time with reality. If you are a man, you are more than likely queer. Chances of employment and monetary gain are excellent. Most Libra women make excellent whores. All Libras die of venereal disease.

SCORPIO:  10/24 - 11/21
You are shrewd in business and cannot be trusted. You shall achieve great success because of your total lack of ethics. You are a perfect son-of-a-bitch. Most Scorpios are murdered.

SAGITTARIUS:  11/22 - 12/21
You are optimistic and enthusiastic. You have a reckless tendency to rely on luck since you lack talent. The majority of Sagittarians are drunks and dope fiends. People laugh at you because you are always getting screwed.

CAPRICORN:  12/22 - 1/19
You are conservative and afraid of taking risks. You are also lazy and don't do much of anything. There is no record of any Capricorn being of any importance. Capricorns should avoid standing still for long periods since they tend to attract pigeons.

AQUARIUS:  1/20 - 2/18
You are a sucker for a come-on, and your friends will always laugh at you for this flaw in your personality. Aquarians are generally masochists.

PISCES - 2/19 - 3/20
All Pisces people have difficulty in achieving sexual gratification; don't feel that there is something wrong with your libido. However, you are also unable to give satisfaction, so you are in deep shit. Do not keep trying, because no one cares.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 10:53:15 AM »
THE LAST 10 THINGS ANY WOMAN WOULD SAY

1.   Could our relationship be more physical? I’m tired of just being friends.

2.   Go ahead and leave the toilet seat up. It’s easier for me to douche that way.

3.   I think hairy butts are really sexy.

4.   Hey, get a whiff of that one!

5.   Please don’t throw that old T-shirt away – the holes in the armpits are so cute.

6.   This diamond is just way too big.

7.   Wow, it really is 14 inches!

8.   Does this make my butt look too small?

9.   I’m absolutely wrong – you must be right.

10.   Please don’t ask this guy for any directions.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 10:56:50 AM »
AIDS UPDATE REPORT

If you catch it from a cocktail waitress, it’s called BARMAIDS.

If you get it from a virgin, it’s called FIRSTAIDS.

If you got infected by Jack Lemmon, it’s called LEMONAIDS.

If you catch it at school, it’s called GRAIDS.

If you get it from a freezer salesman, it’s called KOOLAIDS.

If you catch it in Florida, it’s called GATORAIDS.

If it’s spread by cockroaches, it’s called RAIDS.

If you get it from Bo Derek, it’s called BRAIDS.

If you catch it while marching, it’s called PARAIDS.

If you get it from an air freshener, it’s called GLAIDS.

If you give it back to someone who infected you, it’s named TRAIDS.

If you catch it in France, it’s PAR LE VOIZ FRANCAIDS.

If it comes from a gangbanger, it’s called SWITCHBLAIDS.

If you get it from a black person, it’s ZIPPITY DO DA DAIDS.

If it comes from Bill Clinton, it’s known as PRESIDENTIAL AIDS.

If you get it from infected sunglasses, it’s called SHAIDS.

If you catch it at the end of the week, it’s known as TGI FRIDAIDS.

If you get it at a party, it’s called CHARAIDS.

If you catch it on Halloween, it’s called MARQUERAIDS.

If the source is a leather jacket, it’s known as SUAIDS.

If it’s from an automatic dishwasher, it’s CASCAIDS.

From a Jamaican, it would be called REGGAIDS.

A strain from a candy bay is called MILKY WAIDS.

If you get it from a musician, it’s known as BANDAIDS.

If you get it in a swamp, it’s called EVERGLAIDS.

If you catch it by self-infliction, it’s called MASTERBAIDS.

If you catch it during a poker game, it’s from the QUEEN OF SPAIDS.

Caught from a parking ticket, it’s known as METER MAIDS.

A hospital worker can give you NURSEMAIDS, while a lawyer may give you LEGALAIDS.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 09:46:44 AM »
Dr. Suess books that were rejected by his publisher:

One Bitch, Two Bitch, Dead Bitch, Blue Bitch

Herbert the Pervert Likes Sherbet

Fox in Detox

Who Shat in the Hat?

Horton Hires a ‘Ho

The Flesh-eating Lorax

How the Grinch Stole Columbus Day

Your Colon Can Moo – Can You?

Zippi, the Rabid Gerbil

The Cat in the Blender

Marvin K. Money, Get the **** Out!

Are You My Proctologist?

Yentl the Lentl

My Pocket Rocket Needs a Socket

Aunts in My Pants

Oh, the Places You’ll Scratch and Sniff!

Horton Fakes an Orgasm

The Grinch’s Ten Inches

Offline CG6468

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 10:06:51 AM »
No doubt some Bible societies will feel compelled to publish a new translation of the Holy Scriptures in the newly discovered language of Ebonics.

Here's a head start for them.

THE LORD'S PRAYER - ENGLISH VS EBONICS

The Lord's prayer........................Big Daddy's Rap

Our father, who art in heaven.......Yo, Big Daddy upstairs,

Hallowed be thy name.................You be chillin'

Thy Kingdom come.....................So be yo hood

Thy will be done.........................You be sayin' it, I be doin' it

On earth as it is in heaven...........In dis here hood and yo's

Give us this day our daily bread....Gimme some eats

And forgive our trespasses..........And cut me some slack, Blood

As we forgive those who
trespass against us....................So's I be doin' it to dem dat diss me

And lead us not into temptation...Don't be pushin' me into no jive

But deliver us from evil..............And keep dem Crips away

For thine is the kingdom
forever...................................Cause yo always be da man, G

Amen.....................................Straight up!

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 03:43:17 PM »
Cooper Dictionary.

Wonderful, but you forgot  Muttgutten [spelling] a mixture of hamburger and ground pork used on Pizzas and what not.

Most important you did not mention that most home owners have a private Sauna in the back yard.
Pronounced as sou na up there and in town easy to find public saunas.   

Winters are or were harsh when I lived there with a Finnish mother in law down the road.  Interesting woman, she spoke fluent Finnish to a select number or friends and would use English to tell me, I tink it is going to snow.  Yes she was born here but the UP's have their own wonderful accent.

Most of the old timers had worked in the iron mines as my sons father did the Mather B, later closed down  to go  to above ground mining. 

Hard life in the past to be a miner of any kind, old copper and gold mines out in the woods abandoned years ago.

The best year of my life was spent in the UP, I have never gotten over  my regret  for leaving it. First place I ever had french-fries with gravy or deep fried mushrooms,   My sons dad was the love of my life but we as young folks just could not get along.   Good thing, he to my delight found his high school sweetheart  and they married.   A good man that deserved happiness later in life.

Good place to head for if one is a survivalist, do as the Fins did when first coming there.   Build a Sauna, to survive the winters, rest of the year build onto it trap, hunt and work in the old abandoned mines, never know what you will find.