Author Topic: US state wants to tax TVs, video games to fight fat, fund education  (Read 4276 times)

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
   A Democratic lawmaker in New Mexico wants to tax televisions and video games to raise funds to fight childhood obesity and improve education in the state, officials said Friday.

"I have asked our legislative council service to prepare the "Leave No Child Inside" bill and am hopeful that it will be ready for me to introduce on Monday," educator-turned-lawmaker Gail Chasey told AFP.

"Leave No Child Inside" -- a play on the federal education initiative "No Child Left Behind" -- is backed by grassroots environmental group, the Sierra Club.

"The bill proposes levying a one-percent excise tax on the purchase of TVs, video games and video game equipment and would create the 'Leave No Child Inside' fund to receive those revenues," Michael Casaus of the Sierra Club told AFP.

The author and sponsors of the bill, who include dozens of other organizations besides the Sierra Club, according to Casaus, expect to raise four million dollars (three million euros) a year through the tax.

More: http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080125230108.k05u9plm&show_article=1
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: US state wants to tax TVs, video games to fight fat, fund education
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 06:29:23 AM »
Surrre...go ahead and tax my cigarettes...makes perfect sense doesn't it? Now that all the anti-smoking nazis opened that door we'll see how close to home the government gets to them.

I hate people
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 06:32:20 AM »
Surrre...go ahead and tax my cigarettes...makes perfect sense doesn't it? Now that all the anti-smoking nazis opened that door we'll see how close to home the government gets to them.

I hate people

The nanny-statists see everyone as a bunch of children who need parenting. The government makes a bad parent by default.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 06:40:08 AM by Attero Dominatus »
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline Flame

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 08:08:07 AM »
That is such bull.  My kids play video games...probably more than they should if I was a "good" parent.  But they are also some of the most active kids I know.  One does not exclude the other.

Oh, and all my kids are toothpicks. 

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 08:20:12 AM »
That is such bull.  My kids play video games...probably more than they should if I was a "good" parent.  But they are also some of the most active kids I know.  One does not exclude the other.

Very true but the nannystate assumes (deliberatly) everyone is incapable of taking care of themselves. Sadly nannies occur on both the Democrat and Republican sides of the political spectrum. Mike Huckabee for example (wants a national smoking ban) is a nannystatist.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 08:33:58 AM »
How come we never hear any "lawmaker" call for a dollar tax on movie tickets and video rentals? 

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 08:55:17 AM »
How come we never hear any "lawmaker" call for a dollar tax on movie tickets and video rentals? 

shh dont give the statists any ideas.

Seriously, I dunno. But I would not be surprised if it happens.

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 01:45:47 PM »

I hate people

Check it out in Canada.
Their wonderful FREE health care system:
Tax the hell out of tobacco products and get your lung cut out for free.

Hmmm....
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 01:50:05 PM »
People still smoke despite higher taxes. The real problem is that areas where childhood obesity is a problem is that those areas have higher crime rate and broken down parks. Also, those areas are food deserts. Instead of taxing TVs and video games, we should make those areas safer and improve public parks. We should encourage grocery stores to come and operate in those areas. They should be given tax breaks for doing that.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 01:55:41 PM by Ptarmigan »
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 02:04:26 PM »

You are an enthusiastic, involved and caring parent.  Sadly, most people today just warehouse their kids and let them fend for themselves.  The latter group gives ammo to the gummit to try to take over.  How long before they just grab the kids at birth and put them into Education Centers?

This is one of the first steps.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 02:05:02 PM »
Ssshhhhhhh -- they'll hear you.

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 06:28:45 PM »

You are an enthusiastic, involved and caring parent.  Sadly, most people today just warehouse their kids and let them fend for themselves.  The latter group gives ammo to the gummit to try to take over.  How long before they just grab the kids at birth and put them into Education Centers?

This is one of the first steps.

If The Bitch Wins (or dare I say Mitt Romney) then not long.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 06:45:48 PM »
Aside from creating another revenue stream for money-hungry politicians, I don't see how this would accomplish anything.

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 07:51:22 PM »

I hate people

The nanny-statists see everyone as a bunch of children who need parenting. The government makes a bad parent by default.

Think it's bad now just wait till Hillary Care gets implemented.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 07:53:16 PM »
Aside from creating another revenue stream for money-hungry politicians, I don't see how this would accomplish anything.

I believe that is goal here. Politicians found one more way to get money from us. So mission accomplished.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 08:16:36 PM »

I hate people

Think it's bad now just wait till Hillary Care gets implemented.

People should picture the DMV multiplied by a thousand multiplied by the now-closed MLK Hospital in Los Angeles.  A money pit that kills people.

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 08:32:11 PM »

It doesn't. They just want more tax money. They would tax breathing if they could.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 08:35:14 PM »

It doesn't. They just want more tax money. They would tax breathing if they could.

Every person would have to go in for an annual test to measure the amount of CO2 they exhale.  If they exceed the federally-mandated limit, they will be fined and prosecuted.  :mental: