Author Topic: Here comes the food shock!  (Read 14744 times)

Offline thundley4

Re: Here comes the food shock!
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2011, 03:11:28 PM »
Farmers in Illinois have planted only about 5% of their normal crop. And the fields will be too wet for a long time to come.

A couple of years ago canola oil for cooking was more expensive than corn oil.  I noticed this week that they are close in  price.

Offline SaintLouieWoman

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2011, 03:31:04 PM »
Most definitely. Fuel prices may shift some 50¢+ during some seasons on the norm. Instead, they've shifted some $1.50+. Food prices are directly tied to fuel prices because it takes fuel for everything from the farmers to the getting the food to the store. Also, while some food prices appear to have remained steady, in fact, they have not as the manufacturers are downsizing retail food portions.

There are ways around it if you catch the specials. Walgreen's had the little 6 oz cans of almonds, reg $3.59 as a BOGO, plus there was a coupon attached to some of them for 60 cents off. So I bought 8 cans today, averaging $1.50 a can. They're going to be stored as part of my hurricane stash, and might take some of them on a road trip.

There are ways to get around the food prices, but it really takes careful shopping. Then I try to make as few trips as possible, because it's no savings if you run all over the place with the cost of gas.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2011, 08:48:02 AM »
There are ways around it if you catch the specials. Walgreen's had the little 6 oz cans of almonds, reg $3.59 as a BOGO, plus there was a coupon attached to some of them for 60 cents off. So I bought 8 cans today, averaging $1.50 a can. They're going to be stored as part of my hurricane stash, and might take some of them on a road trip.

There are ways to get around the food prices, but it really takes careful shopping. Then I try to make as few trips as possible, because it's no savings if you run all over the place with the cost of gas.

Only thing is, once you make any savings measure a part of your shopping regimen, the next bump in prices is still a hit to you.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2011, 10:12:38 AM »
Glenn Beck said yesterday that the amount of farmland that has been flooded by this flood is larger than the entire state of Connecticut.

Think about that for a minute.  Then, tend your garden, because food prices are about to launch.

The land for the parish community garden at my church was plowed Sunday morning.  As I was there waiting for the farmer to get there, a whitetail doe ran out from the eastern woodline, across the land we were about to plow up, across the driveway, and into the woods on the west side of the driveway.  It looked as if its' midsection was full--probably about to drop a fawn or two.  But, the thing didn't raise her tail.  I was thinking, "We're here, about to put in a full-service salad bar for these critters.  Gotta pick up that deer repellent I saw at Home Depot."
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
Glenn Beck said yesterday that the amount of farmland that has been flooded by this flood is larger than the entire state of Connecticut.

Think about that for a minute.  Then, tend your garden, because food prices are about to launch.

That is the farmland that has been Intentionally flooded by the US government.