Author Topic: primitives discuss sitting on a covered porch  (Read 1878 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss sitting on a covered porch
« on: September 04, 2016, 09:47:52 PM »
http://sync.democraticunderground.com/11516477

Oh my.

irisblue (6,290 posts)   Sat Aug 27, 2016, 06:14 PM

Agoraphobic sitting under a covered porch.

During a thunderstorm, I guess this is a kind of a good thing for me. First time I've been outside for 2 weeks; except to dump trash. 

Now, I'm a little suspicious of Iris here.  She alleges herself to be agoraphobic--the fear of going out--and so probably is riding on the social security disability gravy train because of that "handicap."

Yeah, right.

I'll bet every time Social Security or some welfare agency calls her to come in, she's got no problem heading over there.

And now descends a herd of enablers:

patricia92243 (8,821 posts)    Sat Aug 27, 2016, 06:31 PM

1. Definitely a good thing - congrats!

irisblue (6,290 posts)    Sun Aug 28, 2016, 07:43 PM

6. thanks for this, trying this again this evening.Fresh air is a good thing

shenmue (28,209 posts)    Sat Aug 27, 2016, 07:45 PM

2. :)

Glad you're able to do some new things.

Apparently going out and sitting on the front porch is a "new adventure," some sort of accomplishment?

irisblue (6,290 posts)    Sun Aug 28, 2016, 07:45 PM

you are always so sweet.

retrowire (8,229 posts)    Sat Aug 27, 2016, 11:37 PM

3. I had a bit of agoraphobia that seemed to be developing when i was a teen.

I'm happy for you!

^^^despite ostensible utter poverty, just bought a house.

irisblue (6,290 posts)    Sun Aug 28, 2016, 07:44 PM

7. it's easier to do agoraphobia in winter d/2 weather

I'm sticking to that story anyway.

nadine_mn (3,000 posts)    Sun Aug 28, 2016, 11:07 AM

4. good for you

actually sounds kind of nice to be outside during a storm but safely under a porch..

irisblue (6,290 posts)    Sun Aug 28, 2016, 07:47 PM

9. and since another t storm is on the way, I'm doing that again.

PoliticalMalcontent (446 posts)    Sun Aug 28, 2016, 04:46 PM

5. Sounds like a nice healthy step.

Glad you got to enjoy the beauty that a thunderstorm can bring.

All the best to you, my friend.

If Iris lives the sort of existence where going out to sit on the front porch is a big deal, probably it would be better for Iris and the rest of humanity that she just laid down and died.

Damn.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: primitives discuss sitting on a covered porch
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 04:08:01 AM »
Hey DUmmy,this is the best attire to wear when watching a thunderstorm.  :)

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 08:07:44 AM »
Agoraphobia is so 70s. The new pop-culture buzz-word is Introvert.

Iris needs to choose between surrendering to her feelings or working to get around and through them to overcome them.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline fatboy

• Does this gun make me look fat?
  • skinnier than the average primitive
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 09:21:57 AM »
I guess we will not be seeing iris at any OWS or BLM protests.
"We will bring back our jobs. We will bring back our borders. We will bring back our wealth - and we will bring back our dreams!" -President Donald J. Trump 1/20/17

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 09:31:22 AM »
I guess we will not be seeing iris at any OWS or BLM protests.

But we'll be seeing her running around out among the general public without fear or hesitation, every time she's called into the social security or welfare office to get more freebies.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 09:47:28 AM »

:-) :-)

Since it's still warm, (D)Ummie, stand in a 5 gal drywall bucket full of nice cool water.  Your agoraphobia will disappear in no time.   :thumbs:

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 10:24:21 AM »
:-) :-)

Since it's still warm, (D)Ummie, stand in a 5 gal drywall bucket full of nice cool water.  Your agoraphobia will disappear in no time.   :thumbs:

H5s for you and Carl for offering your help. :whistling:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 10:36:26 AM »
H5s for you and Carl for offering your help. :whistling:

Seriously now.  Iris has a problem she doesn't need to have, and like so many other primitives, she uses it as a means of getting attention and sympathy (and freebies from social services); I hope you noticed all the enablers on that thread, not a one of whom suggested, "oh, why the Hell don't you grow up?"

Not a single one of them suggested that, and that's exactly what she needs to hear.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 10:53:39 AM »
Oh dear God.

http://sync.democraticunderground.com/11516436

irisblue (6,291 posts)   Thu Jun 30, 2016, 05:13 PM

I need to vent (Xposted to disability as well)

I get my mental & physical health care @ a community health center. They do not own the building, so when whoever did decided to upgrade the building and parking the center lost ALL the parking spaces, including the handicapped ones IN FRONT OF THE BUILDING. There is a parking lot 1/4 mile away and I CANNOT walk that far even using my rolling walker. I am so upset and pissed right now. I drove around for 30 minutes hoping I could find a parking spot that I could use, no luck. I called and cancelled my very very needed mental health appointment cause I can't get into the building. I could weep right now. The receptionist got me my case managers msg line and I left a weepy msg. I bet a get some phone calls tomorrow, but for today, this sucks. 

Sienna86 (1,757 posts)    Thu Jun 30, 2016, 08:22 PM

1. How terribly frustrating.

I hope your case manager gets back to you tomorrow and offers an appointment and a way to facilitate your getting into the building. Please let me know tomorrow.

irisblue (6,291 posts)    Fri Jul 1, 2016, 02:26 PM

2. no word & that is poor professionalism

2pm my time and no return call. I would have respected even a "hey have to figure this out, I'll be back on Tuesday." I'm not happy.

Sienna86 (1,757 posts)    Sun Jul 3, 2016, 08:29 PM

3. The week before a holiday...

In any medical profession, that is just not an excuse. Hope you hear something soon.

TexasBushwhacker (7,185 posts)   Tue Jul 12, 2016, 05:21 PM

4. How is that even legal

I thought buildings were required to have a certain number of parking spaces, including handicap.

<<<having a hard, a really hard, time trying to feel sorry for Iris.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 11:15:39 AM »
Seriously now.  Iris has a problem she doesn't need to have, and like so many other primitives, she uses it as a means of getting attention and sympathy (and freebies from social services); I hope you noticed all the enablers on that thread, not a one of whom suggested, "oh, why the Hell don't you grow up?"

Not a single one of them suggested that, and that's exactly what she needs to hear.

Well said coach and all teasing aside these people are just effing disgusting.
All of us have infirmities to various degrees yet we fight through them to earn a living.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 11:20:59 AM »
TexasB, in the 4th post to that thread, voiced the reason I think this :bouncy: may be bogus (or lack some important relevant info). I think most/all states have requirements for publicly accessible buildings to have spaces set aside for handicapped people. Either this :bouncy: is entirely bogus or the handicap spaces were temporarily blocked when "iris" was there.

Since she is able to overcome her agoraphobia to the extent of going to a publicly accessible "a community health center" and being able to handle the various staff and patients who may be there, maybe she could get a friend to drop her off, or if her community has a free/low-cost ride service for the elderly and handicapped (e.g. the Paratransit system in Silicon Valley) she could use that.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 11:23:57 AM »
Well said coach and all teasing aside these people are just effing disgusting.
All of us have infirmities to various degrees yet we fight through them to earn a living.

Lurking primitives and sob-sisters may think I'm being mean to poor Iris, but actually I'm cutting her some slack, not being nearly as blunt as I'd like to be.

I'm assuming Iris is a dull drab grey heavy older woman, so she doesn't all the options, all the freedoms, that franksolich does, when it comes to confronting fears.  So I wouldn't demand the same of her, as I would of myself.....but I'd demand a Hell of a lot more than what her fellow primitive enablers are demanding (who are simply affirming, not challenging, her).

Trust me; I'm being very sensitive, very gentle, with Iris.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline SVPete

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 12:04:55 PM »
Lurking primitives and sob-sisters may think I'm being mean to poor Iris, but actually I'm cutting her some slack, not being nearly as blunt as I'd like to be.

I'm assuming Iris is a dull drab grey heavy older woman, so she doesn't all the options, all the freedoms, that franksolich does, when it comes to confronting fears.  So I wouldn't demand the same of her, as I would of myself.....but I'd demand a Hell of a lot more than what her fellow primitive enablers are demanding (who are simply affirming, not challenging, her).

To the degree there's something real in her situation, it may not be simple agoraphobia. If it's been more or less life-long, that may be what it is. But if it started relatively recently, it could be early stages of dementia, which is a different animal, and is likely to get progressively worse (I would not wish it on anyone: my Dad's second wife had it; I saw others with it in the SNF where he lived the last several years of his life).

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 12:10:45 PM »

Well, even though Iris is a primitive, it can't be dementia.

I think someone with dementia wouldn't have the slightest idea about social services freebies, much less socially-confident enough to go out to various offices to collect on them.

I suspect Iris imagines she's agoraphobic, because it attracts attention and sympathy to her.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 01:50:35 PM »

We need to add her/him/it to the dossiers kept here.

Offline fatboy

• Does this gun make me look fat?
  • skinnier than the average primitive
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2016, 08:11:58 PM »
irisblue (6,290 posts)   Sat Aug 27, 2016, 06:14 PM

Agoraphobic sitting under a covered porch.

During a thunderstorm, I guess this is a kind of a good thing for me. First time I've been outside for 2 weeks; except to dump trash.

^ goes to the DUmpster to tell the DUmmies she took a stroll to dump trash.

Pure poetry in motion  :-)
"We will bring back our jobs. We will bring back our borders. We will bring back our wealth - and we will bring back our dreams!" -President Donald J. Trump 1/20/17

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2016, 10:16:23 PM »
It looks to me as if Iris needs some training in learning to live without fear.

And if she’s not interested in even trying it, well then, she doesn’t really want  to get rid of her alleged agoraphobia, as she finds it a good means of attracting attention and sympathy.

Now, myself being a deaf person in a hearing world, since infancy (born without ears) I’ve qualified for a Ph.D. in fear.  If something exists—God being an exception—it’s likely that I’ve been afraid of it before.  I can’t think of a thing I now like, or still don’t like, of which I wasn’t at some time terrorized by it.

My God, I've even been afraid of peaches before. 

If one can’t hear, the world can get hostile at times, sometimes doubly so.

However, people who know franksolich in real life insist I’m about the most risk-taking individual they’ve met in their lifes, seemingly afraid of nothing that confronts me.

It’s all a sham, a show, as I’m just a good actor.  There’s a reason I prefer to wear brown pants.

- - - - - - - - - -

But whether bravado or true grit, I’ve always looked at things I fear the same way I look at the weather in Nebraska.  If it doesn’t kill me, it’ll at least make me a stronger (or better) person.

The best way of dealing with, eliminating, fear is to confront it, and contemptuously dare it to hurt you.

If one’s afraid of water for example, the best remedy is to simply jump in, after which one decides if he wants to live, or drown.  I can personally and first-handedly swear on the Head of St. John the Baptist that this actually works.

<<<am no masochist—no way—but to grow up, to get mature, sometimes one has to be harsh, really harsh, on oneself.

- - - - - - - - - -

I already wrote about it a few summers ago, right after it happened, but anyway one time the neighbor and I were “exploring” an old abandoned dirt-cellar on the this property (since filled in).  It was pretty big—for a cellar—and dark in there.

I put my hand on a ledge--but fortunately not too hard--that was higher than my head, and within a macro-second, I felt I was about to grab a snake.  Like in one ten-thousandth of a second, I realized that.

What to do?  It was dark and I had no idea what sort of snake it was.

Best to not do anything until it went away.  So I “froze,” just standing there not moving a muscle, and I could feel it slithering away, “scraping” or brushing the palm of the hand. 

Once it was gone, I unfroze.  I always wondered what would’ve happened if I’d done the instinctual thing and quickly yanked my hand back.  I suspect it wouldn’t have ended so well.

Acquiring nerves of steel serves one well in battling fear.

- - - - - - - - - -

One also has to acquire and cultivate some sort of self-deprecating humor; to not let gaffes and other careless social blunders ruin one’s life.

<<<an expert at the quick back-track, quick to apologize, quick to concede when the other person is right and I’m wrong, and it bothers me not at all to do it. 

Nobody’s perfect, everybody makes mistakes, but one of the major differences between franksolich and the primitives is that I forgive myself for being human, while they don’t.

If God can forgive me, I should be able to forgive myself.

The problem with the primitives of course being that they sneer at the Reality of God, and hence they got no one to forgive them their imperfections.

It must be Hell, being a primitive, and not being perfect; I screw up all the time, but yet I manage to live a decent and civilized life.

- - - - - - - - - -

Think of the most embarrassing, the most humiliating thing that can happen; something that would usually drive one to run away and hide his head in shame.

For example, there’s been those countless times I’ve awakened in the morning and walked into the kitchen, only to find someone, sometimes a stranger, or some people, in there, but because I’m deaf I had no idea anyone was inside the house, period.

It used to be a rude shock.  But I got used to it eons ago and now carry on as if there’s nothing embarrassing about me being stark naked in front of other people.  And if they’re known to be—or appear to be, if strangers—easily offended, I take my time about getting decorous.

Trust me; one can learn to be utterly cool and nonchalant even under these circumstances; after all, I don't know anybody else who hasn't made a fool of himself one time or another.

- - - - - - - - - -

At the moment, the only thing that causes me any anxiety is the fear of Atman; a fear so strong it deters franksolich from venturing into eastern Connecticut.

It’s true that Atman of Skins’s island is a sissy-boy, but not to everybody.

Just about anybody’s four-year-old nephew could beat up the effete Atman, but while I look big and strong and all that, it’s just an appearance.  In truth, the internal infrastructure is so weak, so fragile, that even sissy-boy Atman could beat up franksolich, stomp me into a little red spot in the ground.

I consider Atmaphobia a legitimate fear, possibly even enough to get me a ticket aboard the social security disability gravy-train.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 10:25:09 PM by franksolich »
apres moi, le deluge

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 12:59:39 AM »

Carl,

That is a GREAT idea for the (D)Ummies. Sound protection against hail there too, but it does not fit in with current (D)Ummie dogma as well as it could.

They would lean more toward something affordable/inexpensive/easy to steal. Maybe something they could find in a recycle bin, or recycle themselves. Something they can brag to other (D)Ummies that they made to show how smart they are,  and can swap amongst their (D)Ummie friends. Something that many of them already use at the computer and as a political tool, and even occasionally for  :stoner: .

With that in mind, and with our universal inclination to help (D)Ummies when and where ever we can, I propose this instead:

Also, we would not want them to be standing out in the rain and get their feet wet and catch a cold, so I further propose these:

:whistling:

I kind of chuckled when I read this story. Mrs. CMD and I go out on the front porch to watch storms and lightning for fun, and occasionally in a vehicle. Mother natures power is something to be respected, but it is damn awesome to observe. That being said...

(D)Ummies like this one think they know what is best for the rest of us.

The only rational response to that is: ****.OFF.(D)UMMIE!

CMD
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.