Author Topic: Fishing  (Read 8841 times)

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
Fishing
« on: February 14, 2011, 12:06:54 PM »
Anyone fish?  I am self employed and fish every day I can and on weekends with my son.  Wanted to know if there were any fisherpeople out here.

Here is me catching a spotted bass on the Caney Fork River in TN.  My baby was a month old.  I left for a week long fishing trip (that is supposed to show you my dedication) :p

My son catching some (same trip)

Early morning

hubby and son at Falls River

My son winning 1st place at the fishing tournament

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Fishing
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 12:09:15 PM »
Very cool.  Not a fisher-person here, but I love to eat em.  In the Hobbies thread, I think, catsmnrods posted pics of some rods he makes.  You might want to take a look. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 12:09:51 PM »
Very cool.  Not a fisher-person here, but I love to eat em.  In the Hobbies thread, I think, catsmnrods posted pics of some rods he makes.  You might want to take a look. 

I rarely eat them. Mostly catch and release.

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 12:26:53 PM »
I'm a fisherperson.  :yahoo:  And live with a di-hard fishingperson. We have 6 feet of filled upright rod holders in the garage....I have no idea how many boxes of tackle we moved over here back in the fall, I just remember it took him forever to pack it!  :thatsright:

I've been primarily flats fishing off of Key West. Though I am getting a TN license in two weeks.  :-)

I prefer catching baracudas, have caught permit, and a monster tarpon (abt 6', 120lb - on 10 pound test...  :yahoo: ), but have never been able to catch a bonefish.

Did fish in The Mercury S.L.A.M.  celebrity pro-am tournament for Cystic Fibrosis several years ago. Didn't come close to winning but did get to sit next to Jose Wejebe at the banquet dinner. OH. MY.  :drool: M was sitting next to his totally gorgeous blonde centerfold-type wife.  :bawl:    

:lmao:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 12:28:30 PM »
I'm a fisherperson.  :yahoo:  And live with a di-hard fishingperson. We have 6 feet of filled upright rod holders in the garage....I have no idea how many boxes of tackle we moved over here back in the fall, I just remember it took him forever to pack it!  :thatsright:

I've been primarily flats fishing off of Key West. Though I am getting a TN license in two weeks.  :-)

I prefer catching baracudas, have caught permit, and a monster tarpon (abt 6', 120lb - on 10 pound test...  :yahoo: ), but have never been able to catch a bonefish.

Did fish in The Mercury S.L.A.M.  celebrity pro-am tournament for Cystic Fibrosis several years ago. Didn't come close to winning but did get to sit next to Jose Wejebe at the banquet dinner. OH. MY.  :drool: M was sitting next to his totally gorgeous blonde centerfold-type wife.  :bawl:    

Hmmmmmm might have just found my new bff :naughty:

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 12:31:57 PM »
Hubby fishes and he loves it, this is the 1st year in a long time where he didn't feel like ice fishing though.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 12:32:21 PM »
Beautiful spot, and yeah, I love to fish.  I don't get out nearly as often as I'd like to, due to lots of other irons in the fire.  I mostly catch and release too, cleaning fish has gone from being cool blood-and-guts man-vs.-wild stuff to being just kind of a pain-in-the-ass as I've gotten older.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 12:33:47 PM »
Hubby fishes and he loves it, this is the 1st year in a long time where he didn't feel like ice fishing though.

He found better things to do at home on those cold days?  :naughty:

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 12:35:45 PM »

Are you fishing for something?  :naughty:

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 12:40:45 PM »
I have caught just about every major freshwater game fish in OK and TX.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 12:42:14 PM »

:whistling:
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline thundley4

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 12:45:42 PM »
Are you fishing for something?  :naughty:

Nah. I've always thought that whoever invented ice fishing must not have liked their wife much.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 01:19:40 PM »
Nah. I've always thought that whoever invented ice fishing must not have liked their wife much.

GOOD POINT  :lmao:

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 01:45:38 PM »

No way the fish huts here on the Lampery river catching smelts were  not fun back a time ago. Say 30 years ago.

I remember packing my year old baby on my back through a path of snow to the river and heading out for an ice hut. Lots of them out there and someone saw me coming and the fisherman came and led us to his Smelt Shack.

Nice these tiny huts , Colman lanterns and actually warm inside.    A rectangle had been cut in the ice and a board with hooks atop them.

A bag of blood worms ready to go , sandwiches and drinks handy, we just had to wait for the tide and hear the call---They are Running.

The fisherman then grabbed the worms and skewered them to the hooks, dropped the board, pulled it up and removed the fish.  No need to use more worms, or the board, the blood was on the hooks and just dropping them in the water caused the Smelts to attack.

We would come home with bushel baskets of those fish, head for the local fish market and make enough money to pay for heating oil.

This can be fun and profitable to those that enjoy it, I did this only 3 times and it was fun.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 01:47:47 PM »
I'm strictly an offshore saltwater fisherman.  A friend of mine has a boat he keeps in San Diego and we will go out 60 to 80 miles in search of tuna, dorado, sharks, marlin and swordfish.  I have slowed down in the past few years and haven't gone on as many trips since Im juggling 2 jobs and getting older.  12 -16 hours on the ocean plus fighting big gamefish can wreck havoc on an aging person.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline thundley4

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 01:52:16 PM »

Does anyone else think Vesta's husband may have invented ice fishing?

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 01:54:28 PM »
Does anyone else think Vesta's husband may have invented ice fishing?

:lol:

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 02:04:15 PM »
I have caught just about every major freshwater game fish in OK and TX.

Catfish AND turtles?!?  Wow!

:-)
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 02:11:53 PM »
I practically live to fish. I flyfish mostly but will do anything to catch a fish. I make bamboo rods and tie flies too.
This is me with a nice catch of brown trout.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 02:23:02 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nice Browns!

I'm a fly/spin trout fisherman also.

Some Rainbows I caught last year:

And , yes I was trolling out of a raft.    :-)
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 02:24:47 PM »
Catfish AND turtles?!?  Wow!

:-)

Well, there are a lot of them, but, throw in LM bass, B and W crappie, gar, striped bass and bluegill/red ear, too.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 02:34:16 PM »
I practically live to fish. I flyfish mostly but will do anything to catch a fish. I make bamboo rods and tie flies too.
This is me with a nice catch of brown trout.

Nice!!!!   :naughty:

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 04:26:31 PM »
If I get up to one of my favorite lakes this year (and I DO plan on going) I'll get some pics of the 5-10 lb Trout I usually catch there.   :hyper:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 04:45:09 PM »
I get up to a Catskill Mtn. pond every year first thing after ice out. It is loaded with big brook trout. I generally get a few in the 17-20 inch range. About 17 years ago I had one that went 24. It had to weigh over 5 lbs and at that time it would have been the NYS record but it is wilderness camping and I ate it!
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011, 04:49:11 PM »
I do a little bit of fishing now and again.

Freshwater light line (4-6lb) with hard plastic lures in the far upstream reaches of creeks.

Medium line (30-40lb) with hard or soft plastic lures in dams and rivers and estuaries.

Offshore reef fishing with 100lb bait or lure.

Offshore open water with 80+lb trolled lure.

Pretty much everything caught in the salt - goes to the table if it's legal size and species.

Everything caught in the freshwater is catch'n'release.