Author Topic: Fishing  (Read 8844 times)

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Re: Fishing
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2011, 04:20:09 PM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41692545/ns/us_news-environment/

Anyone have a problem with Rock Snot ?????

Years ago the wonderful lake I spent my summers on became a night mare.   Seems that after a million years of being pure, people were infesting the lake with blood suckers that hitch hiked on the bottoms of boats as they were hauled from lake to lake.

Never forget the horror of pushing our boat off the sand to find a pile of those varmints.  Half a box of Morton salt did a job on them but I never felt safe again going into the water without wondering if one of those nastys would clomp down on me.

How does a teenage female pull one of those nastys off her back --  how does anyone touch those things in the first place.?

Offline thundley4

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 04:39:23 PM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41692545/ns/us_news-environment/

Anyone have a problem with Rock Snot ?????

Years ago the wonderful lake I spent my summers on became a night mare.   Seems that after a million years of being pure, people were infesting the lake with blood suckers that hitch hiked on the bottoms of boats as they were hauled from lake to lake.

Never forget the horror of pushing our boat off the sand to find a pile of those varmints.  Half a box of Morton salt did a job on them but I never felt safe again going into the water without wondering if one of those nastys would clomp down on me.

How does a teenage female pull one of those nastys off her back --  how does anyone touch those things in the first place.?

WTF?  The article is about algae, but it sounds like you're talking about leeches.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 08:05:58 PM »
just got back from fishing all day at the Loosahatchie river, SUCKED! water temp was 67 degrees and nothing was biting

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2011, 06:48:14 AM »
WTF?  The article is about algae, but it sounds like you're talking about leeches.

I believe I was speaking of most any kind of invasive species that travel or are carried to a place that is foreign to them.

Fresh water lakes are undergoing all kind of threats from pollution to foreign critters with no natural enemies.

It is not just for fisherman to fight to keep our natural beauty pure, the cycle of life depends on clean lakes and streams. 

Example---If an invasive species came in and destroyed the underwater plants and natural algae to our wild rice, we would have allot of starving Moose up here.   All our wild life would be in trouble from the fish to the birds.   

Few really take this seriously until the process cannot be stopped.  Check out our great lakes that now have a problem with this foreign fish that grows to 3-4 feet long and has no natural enemy.   FOX News tried to gather some top notch Chiefs that are known to make a SEA GULL tasty and challenged them to make this fish palatable. Very difficult, they fried them, steamed them, boiled them roasted them but the results were very mixed.  This fish will never become a staple on anyones plate here in the USA, perhaps they can be sold in Asia as that is where I believe they came from in the first place.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2011, 04:13:54 PM »
Some that I stabbed early in the mornin

Some dolphin, a small wahoo and king

You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2011, 05:36:55 PM »
just got back from fishing all day at the Loosahatchie river, SUCKED! water temp was 67 degrees and nothing was biting

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH how I HATE the Loosahatchie!!! When I was in Millington, a classmate of mine & I decided to raft down the Loosahatchie. Damned Water Moccasins were trying to get in the raft by dropping off of trees or trying to slither into the raft!! We couldn't get of of that river quick enough. WE put in just outside of Millington and rafted about an hour and a half downstream.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2011, 05:39:49 PM »
Didn't see any snakes, the water levels went down pretty bad this past summer and are just getting back to normal. 

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2011, 03:15:17 PM »
Didn't see any snakes, the water levels went down pretty bad this past summer and are just getting back to normal. 

They might still be hibernating this time of year.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson