Author Topic: Eggplant  (Read 2014 times)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Eggplant
« on: January 27, 2011, 09:57:06 PM »
Bought two on sale.  Have a TON of feta, and ground meat.  I was thinking a moussaka, but something lighter, maybe even stuffed.  Any ideas?
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: Eggplant
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 10:51:03 PM »
One of my faves is to just slice them about 1/2 inch thick, brush them lightly with some olive oil, coat them with bread crumbs (I love Parmesan bread crumbs for that) and bake them about 350 till tender and the bread crumbs golden brown.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 05:49:27 AM »
One of my faves is to just slice them about 1/2 inch thick, brush them lightly with some olive oil, coat them with bread crumbs (I love Parmesan bread crumbs for that) and bake them about 350 till tender and the bread crumbs golden brown.

Peel those suckers, Hubby hated them until I began to peel off the skin.     We have eaten unpeeled Eggplant at some very high end restaurants and that damn skin is like eating a Baloney sandwitch with the red rind on it.

I peel the plant, slice and pat dry with paper towels.    Place to marinate in olive oil, garlic power and a bit of onion salt.  As Sparky stated roll in Parmesan cheese bread crumbs, --I then fry it lightly just to brown then remove it and cool.       

I layer the slices in a baking dish with tomato sauce with meat and bake covered for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

I found to my surprise we were all out of pasta so I placed the eggplant and sauce on top of Mashed Potatoes and it was excellent.

Offline Karin

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 10:42:55 AM »
If you have a ton of feta to use up, Tota, Moussaka is a great idea. 

Just to piggyback onto NHSparky's, here's a casserole I used to make.  Take those rounds that Sparky describes above , and layer 1/3 of them into a baking pan.  Top with riccotta cheese and your fav marinara.  Make two more layers like that, with the top being sauce and mozzarella.  Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes till brown and bubbling. 

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 11:47:40 AM »
We slice them also, dip them in egg and then bread crumbs and then fry them in oil, I prefer them without sauce but I do put some in the oven with sauce and mozzarella.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline debk

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 11:57:07 AM »
I do it the much the same way as everyone else, peel, slice in 1/4-1/2" slices, dip in beaten egg, parmesean bread crumbs, saute in olive oil, just to lightly brownl. Layer it with ground meat browned with chopped onion and garlic, ricotta, and sauce, mozzarella on the top. Basically just like you would lasagne using the eggplant instead of noodles. Just use the feta instead of ricotta. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.

Make sure to the eggplant on paper towels after you saute to soak up the grease and keep it from getting soggy. I don't saute it very much, otherwise it will turn to mush when baked,
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 12:48:37 PM »
Thanks Y'all!
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent