Author Topic: Spicy Orange Ribs  (Read 1998 times)

Offline debk

Spicy Orange Ribs
« on: January 24, 2011, 04:54:03 PM »
I don't know if anyone here ever watches "Chopped" on the Food Channel, but I hardly ever miss it. One of the rotating judges is Chris Santos who owns a couple of restaurants in NYC. Never been to any of them, but I like him as a judge on Chopped and I know that has to be a reason to try one of his recipes.  :whistling:

He was on the CBS Early Show on Saturday morning. The Early Show is doing "Dinner for under $40". Santos was the 3rd chef to do a segment, so I don't know if this is a January thing, or a weekly thing. He did a shrimp appetizer that looked good, a baby back rib entree, and whoopie pies for dessert.

I decided to try the ribs for dinner tonight, because the recipe is really different from what I usually do, and I hadn't fixed them in forever, so thought I'd try them. They have about another 50 minutes to cook, so far they smell good.

Now, I recognize that you Texas folk are going to tell me to how crazy I am....but do try to separate yourself from the traditional bbq baby back ribs!!! and keep an open mind.  :tongue:

I'm thinking these are going to be a variation of little Thai ribs. (Of course it would have been easier to find the ones that Godot found already made!  :thatsright: )

I did some varying on the recipe to suit my Boys ( :whatever: ) and some ingredient adjustments.

I bought a rack that was propbably close to 24" long, and cut it in half.

Was supposed to do a rub of black pepper, onion powder, smoked paprika, and orange zest. I used regular paprika only cause I had it.

Then put some Sriracha on top of the rub. Recipe did not state a quantity, but it looked like about half to three-quarters of a cup in the beaker he had it in. I forgot the Sriracha at the store yesterday, so M went to Kroger's for me today. Of course he couldn't find it. So I had him get Texas Pete's Wing Sauce, and a jar of Thai Chili Paste. I added a heaping teaspoon (silverware not measuring) to about a cup of TPWS. Mixed it in and tasted it. Oh Holy Crap!!! Coughed for the next 30 minutes!! But I poured it over the ribs anyhow.  :-)

Browned them in a grill pan. (too cold to go out and fire up the grill for just a couple of minutes)

Put them into a roaster, bone side down.

Covered the tops with thin slices of an orange. Then I was supposed to put chopped fresh mint on them....left it off - I hate fresh mint on any kind of meat. It only belongs in mojitos, iced tea, or fresh lemonade, as far as I'm concerned.

Then poured bbq sauce over them. He said any kind of bottled sauce you like. I ended up using a whole bottle of Cattleman's Honey, and 2/3 of Cattleman's Original. (Do not give me grief, Thor! I don't like heavy smoked or mesquite flavors, and my choices were limited.  :tongue: )

Poured that over the oranges. Then was supposed to top with sliced red onions. Did that, then poured on the orange juice. Did that.

The next thing to go on them...was Sprite! Yep....plain ordinary Sprite.

Put the pan on the stove, get the liquid to simmer, then put in a 300 oven for 3 hours.

I'm really hoping the Sprite and the honey bbq will neutralize the "heat" a bit. I didn't tell the guys how hot these suckers might be.... :whistling:

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: Spicy Orange Ribs
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 08:09:08 PM »
Lemme know how it ended up!
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline debk

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 08:17:22 AM »
They turned out quite well!  :drool:

Not remotely a bbq'd rib though.

The guys thought they were a bit too citrus-y, I didn't. Recipe called for one and a half oranges sliced. I used almost all of one. I used a mandolin to slice thin slice it, and I thought one was plenty. I was supposed to use 1 cup of orange juice, and that's all I used.

I thought they were a bit too sweet, they didn't. Recipe called for 1/2 c of Sprite, but it also said it was to cover the ribs. I didn't measure, but used about 1/2 of a 20oz bottle, and it didn't cover the ribs. I'm thinking next time I will use Sprite Zero. I drink usually drink Sprite Zero, if I'm going to drink pop, and maybe it would make it less sweet without really changing the taste.

My son is not a sweet eater, so for him to not think they were too sweet... they might not have been. And I like citrus more than either of them do. So I would recommend you make any adjustments based on your own preferences. They were not too spicy...just a little kick. The sweet really neutralized the hot..more than I thought it would, but it might have been different if I had Sriracha instead of what I did use. Next time, I might add a wee bit more of the chili paste. I have had Sriracha before, just never cooked with it, so if you have, you would know better on the heat quality.

The ribs came right out of the meat, so you are eating them with a fork rather than fingers. This recipe would not work if you wanted "finger food" for any reason. I fixed "wide" buttered noodles and the sauce from the ribs over them was quite tasty. Added buttered brocolli and rolls.

I pulled the rest of the bones out before I refrigerated the leftover ribs. I think the meat would be really good over noodles, or on rolls. I'm thinking the recipe could be used on a pork loin or roast, and done in a crock pot for a type of pulled pork too.

I will make it again.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 08:57:30 AM »
Don't use Sprite Zero. Aspartame (the sweetener) turns into methanol when exposed to heat above 100°F. If the bones pulled out, then you overcooked them. Plain and simple. Maybe use Sprite and a lighter beer next time.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline debk

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 09:46:23 AM »
Don't use Sprite Zero. Aspartame (the sweetener) turns into methanol when exposed to heat above 100°F. If the bones pulled out, then you overcooked them. Plain and simple. Maybe use Sprite and a lighter beer next time.

The bones were supposed to be at "pull out" stage.  :tongue:

These are definitely not what you would consider bbq'd ribs. I don't even consider them to be. 

Didn't put any beer in them. Didn't know that about the aspartame. Glad you told me. Is it in Splenda too?