Author Topic: Thanksgiving  (Read 12739 times)

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
Thanksgiving
« on: November 17, 2010, 01:58:13 PM »
What are some of your favorite Thanksgiving items and add how to make them please
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Thanksgiving
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 02:01:48 PM »
Cranberrry sauce.

Step 1: open can

I think that's about it.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 02:10:07 PM »
Filets, marinated in a black pepper and onion marinade overnight, over the grill in the afternoon after Thanksgiving lunch with a cold one in hand and football on the TV.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 02:11:37 PM »
My mom made the best stuffing ever, IMO.  Depending on how much you want to make, cut up slightly stale white bread, mix it with melted margarine, cut up celery and onions, and season with sage, salt and pepper.  It's especially awesome when it's cooked inside the turkey.  Yeah, it's plain and simple, BUT it's a reminder of past times sitting around the Thanksgiving table as a child.

I also make a yam casserole.  Cut up yams, place in a greased glass pan and cover with dots of margarine, brown sugar, cashews, peaches, and bake at 350 until the yams are tender.  Top with marshmallows in the last five minutes until they melt.

As I get older, I've realized some of the best recipes in my repetoire don't necessarily use measurements.  Sorta like our pioneer women.  Of course, at least I don't have to chase the chicken around the yard!! :-)
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline cavegal

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 02:21:25 PM »
Cresent Rolls.....buy can, open lay on cookie sheet. bake.  Add butter then dip in Turkey juice. 

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 03:39:38 PM »
Some of y'all are plain lazy..... I go for the standard fare. Turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce and usually pecan pie for dessert, but sometimes pumpkin or both and with whipped cream.  ALL home made. If I have rolls with the meal, those are usually store bought, but NOT the ones from a can.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline The Hollywood NeoCon

• Visionary, Sage, Drunkard, Screenwriter
  • "For God & Country: Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 03:48:15 PM »
Whatever quells the bile in my stomach that comes from too much vodka and the bitter scorn of my ****ing in-laws...  :banghead:

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 03:49:39 PM »
Whatever quells the bile in my stomach that comes from too much vodka and the bitter scorn of my ****ing in-laws...  :banghead:

I no longer have to worry about "in-laws"......  :-) 
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline cavegal

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 03:54:09 PM »
+1   :lmao:

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline thundley4

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 04:14:57 PM »
Some of y'all are plain lazy..... I go for the standard fare. Turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce and usually pecan pie for dessert, but sometimes pumpkin or both and with whipped cream.  ALL home made. If I have rolls with the meal, those are usually store bought, but NOT the ones from a can.

I agree.  My sister is a good cook. :)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 04:56:28 PM »
I'm with Thor. A couple of things, though.

I brine the turkey. It's absolutely GREAT what happens to the bird after brining. White meat that's full of flavor and juiciness.

I made a cornbread stuffing the other day that I really liked. Baked my own cornbread, with cranberries, walnuts, sweated onions/celery/garlic, sage, rosemary, and held together with chicken broth. Bake for 30 minutes, done.

Stuffing often takes the consistency of wallpaper glue - yuk. And I absolutely WILL NOT stuff a bird. Too much of a pain in the ass.

Mashed, with gravy; baked rolls, pumpkin pie with real whipped cream; salad to start off - we're not terribly big on hot, cooked vegetables.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 05:26:16 PM »
A food blog I get regular updates to has been doing Thanksgiving threads all week.  These guys must have cooked a dozen turkeys by now.  I've never had a fried turkey and I've never had one that wasn't roasted whole, but this guy cut up one of his turkeys like a chicken and started cooking the dark meat (wings, legs) 20-25 minutes before the rest of the bird.  They also did a buffalo-fried turkey, slathered in hot sauce, and served with bleu cheese dressing.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/11/how-to-butcher-a-turkey-for-even-cooking.html
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 05:44:28 PM »
I made a boo-boo one Thanksgiving and got a few people sick, at least I think. It's tough for me to tell because one of my ex bro in laws brought over his kids and one had the flu.  Regardless, just for safety's sake, I typically make "dressing" vs "stuffing"... and since then, I never ever stuff a bird. Ohh, and Eupher??  tried that brining trick once and I didn't like the taste afterwards. The bird WAS juicy, but it took on flavors I didn't care for. I used Alton Brown's brining recipe. (I didn't have ALL of the ingredients and this isn't the same as what he originally had) I can do just as well by just roasting the turkey. Just gotta watch the temps.

Chris, I've had deep fried turkey before. Honestly, it's OK, at best. The theory is that the oil seals in the juices. The important thing is to let the bird rest after any type of cooking.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 05:50:02 PM »
My parents are going out of town, so I'm at my brother's mercy for Thanksgiving food.  I don't know if anyone else is showing up... probably not, since most of the usual suspects have moved to Texas.  If it was just me, I'd make a rib roast.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 05:52:47 PM »
My parents are going out of town, so I'm at my brother's mercy for Thanksgiving food.  I don't know if anyone else is showing up... probably not, since most of the usual suspects have moved to Texas.  If it was just me, I'd make a rib roast.

I've done that one Thanksgiving, too. A nice Prime Rib. It was tasty, but WAY overcooked for me.

Offline soleil

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »
Everything homemade on Thanksgiving.

Fried turkey
dressing (yummy)
green bean casserole
broccoli cheese rice casserole
mac-n-cheese
this year I am trying twice baked potato casserole
sweet potato casserole
yes deviled eggs will make an appearance
some cranberry crap my mom makes that everyone loves but me
fruity fluffy stuff that I don't eat
I am leaving a lot out I know

desserts:
pecan pie
pumpkin pie
apple pie
caramel cake
coconut cream cake

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 08:29:13 PM »
Another one that is good is a family recipe. It's chicken cornbread dressing. It is the best.

There is this sweet potato souffle that they make that is also good.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 09:32:14 PM »
I made a boo-boo one Thanksgiving and got a few people sick, at least I think. It's tough for me to tell because one of my ex bro in laws brought over his kids and one had the flu.  Regardless, just for safety's sake, I typically make "dressing" vs "stuffing"... and since then, I never ever stuff a bird. Ohh, and Eupher??  tried that brining trick once and I didn't like the taste afterwards. The bird WAS juicy, but it took on flavors I didn't care for. I used Alton Brown's brining recipe. (I didn't have ALL of the ingredients and this isn't the same as what he originally had) I can do just as well by just roasting the turkey. Just gotta watch the temps.

Chris, I've had deep fried turkey before. Honestly, it's OK, at best. The theory is that the oil seals in the juices. The important thing is to let the bird rest after any type of cooking.

Yeah, Alton's was the same one I used. I liked it. But then again, I had ALL the ingredients, you knothead. Bitchslapped for being lazy.  :tongue:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 09:38:39 PM »
Filets, marinated in a black pepper and onion marinade overnight, over the grill in the afternoon after Thanksgiving lunch with a cold one in hand and football on the TV.

Now that sounds like heaven!
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 09:40:29 PM »
My mom made the best stuffing ever, IMO.  Depending on how much you want to make, cut up slightly stale white bread, mix it with melted margarine, cut up celery and onions, and season with sage, salt and pepper.  It's especially awesome when it's cooked inside the turkey.  Yeah, it's plain and simple, BUT it's a reminder of past times sitting around the Thanksgiving table as a child.

I also make a yam casserole.  Cut up yams, place in a greased glass pan and cover with dots of margarine, brown sugar, cashews, peaches, and bake at 350 until the yams are tender.  Top with marshmallows in the last five minutes until they melt.

As I get older, I've realized some of the best recipes in my repetoire don't necessarily use measurements.  Sorta like our pioneer women.  Of course, at least I don't have to chase the chicken around the yard!! :-)

Bou!  That is the SAME stuffing I grew up with!  Exactly the SAME!   :cheersmate:

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010, 09:47:05 PM »
I have to go to the boyfriend's family.   The menu goes as follows:

Overcooked turkey, too late for everything else
Canned Yams with stupid marshmallows
Instant Mashed Potatoes
Cornbread Dressing from a box
Green Bean Casserole, you know the drill
Canned Cranberry Sauce
Celery sticks stuffed with cream cheese

Pies
Store bought crust filled with canned fillings.

No booze.

(I pack a flask of vodka and wear a hoodie to hide it in my pocket.)

Everyone is a yeller, cept for boyfriend, and there are children.  Screaming children. 

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2010, 09:53:35 PM »
I need to bring a veggie dish to work on Black Friday any suggestions
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2010, 10:03:30 PM »
Yeah, Alton's was the same one I used. I liked it. But then again, I had ALL the ingredients, you knothead. Bitchslapped for being lazy.  :tongue:

All I tasted were the peppercorns...... didn't like hat so much. And...... I wasn't lazy as I did ALL of the prep AND all of the cooking BY MYSELF, so.....  :bird:

and a BS in return!!  :tongue:

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2010, 10:30:16 PM »
Bou!  That is the SAME stuffing I grew up with!  Exactly the SAME!   :cheersmate:

Dang, that's awesome stuffing, isn't it?
I forgot to mention in my last post that Mom (and now I) put the bread cubes, melted margarine, onions, celery, sage, salt and pepper in the bread bag and shove it in the fridge overnight to give the flavors time to meld.

This Thanksgiving Day I'm cheating a bit on the bird.  The commissary was selling a freezer to oven turkey, the one I bought is 10 pounds since it's just hubby, daughter, son and grandson.  For an almost two-year old that boy puts away gargantuan amounts of grandma's cooking. O-)

My daughter came home tonight and asked me to help her make my yam casserole for her office potluck tomorrow.  She said she refused to have a Thanksgiving potluck without yams and thought her coworkers might appreciate something besides mac and cheese salads, which apparently several are making.  Hmm, we never had mac and cheese for Thanksgiving when I was growing up, but I see from soleil's menu that others do.

I was digging in my Southern Living cookbooks for the cranberry sauce recipe I made last year, but stumbled upon yet another one which sounds even better!  The one from last year only called for Gran Marnier, this one also has port. :hyper:

Four ingredients, cranberries, sugar, orange liqueur (to me this means Gran Marnier) and port.  There's a bit of boilin, pureeing and chilling involved, but it's gonna be worth it.
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2010, 09:58:49 AM »
I have to go to the boyfriend's family.   The menu goes as follows:

Overcooked turkey, too late for everything else
Canned Yams with stupid marshmallows
Instant Mashed Potatoes
Cornbread Dressing from a box
Green Bean Casserole, you know the drill
Canned Cranberry Sauce
Celery sticks stuffed with cream cheese

Pies
Store bought crust filled with canned fillings.

No booze.

(I pack a flask of vodka and wear a hoodie to hide it in my pocket.)

Everyone is a yeller, cept for boyfriend, and there are children.  Screaming children. 

Excuse my "french", but that's fu*ked up.

My mom and dad make the traditional dinner. Stuffed bird, taters, ect... NOTHING out of a box. My mother's gravy is to die for. It's an almost black/brown color and nice and shiney with fat.    :drool:  My daughter always asks if Grandma is going to make "the" gravy.   :-)
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.