Author Topic: Lobster, I SAID LOBSTER, DAMN YOU!!!  (Read 6296 times)

Offline debk

Re: Lobster, I SAID LOBSTER, DAMN YOU!!!
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 03:58:55 PM »
I'd be willing to be THEY'RE paying less.  As for whether they're CHARGING less remains an open question.  I know restaurants aren't charging less.

Oh...well it was a thought.

We ordered them last year from Trenton something....it was just before crossing the bridge to Bar Harbor. I have the info around here somewhere. They were very good, and shipped to arrinve on Saturday.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2010, 07:59:31 PM »
You mentioned Hannaford, Sparky... I've been getting steelhead trout fillets there, they get them farmed and frozen from chile for about six bucks a pound. It's almost half the price of the salmon. I recommend it.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2010, 12:33:30 AM »
Wonder if they are cheaper this year, than last, from a little place up in Maine...that we ordered from last year?

I was looking on the net and the prices were out of sight. If there is an over supply, these companies have not lowered their prices. At $30 for a one pound a pack of meat, I am going to pass.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 12:36:48 AM by Lacarnut »

Offline debk

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2010, 10:08:15 AM »
I was looking on the net and the prices were out of sight. If there is an over supply, these companies have not lowered their prices. At $30 for a one pound a pack of meat, I am going to pass.

I just went and looked where I ordered from last year to see what their prices are like....

Holy Crap!!! won't be ordering them this year!   :o

https://secure.downeasthost.com/trenton/index.html#lob
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline JLO

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2010, 08:40:52 PM »
Sparky, when my family jumped ship in Boston to escape the indentured servant status and wandered about in the 1640's they ended up on this river on the Maine side and settled in.

They were then called River Rats as they survived on what ever came out of the river.  The Lobsters, clams oysters, fish of all kinds were so abundant that one only had to walk to the waters edge to  gather and feed a family protein--   with the Berry's and nuts that grew wild.

Herring was a big one for nutrition, cod and eels that were caught in wearers, nets strung out at high tide that caught whatever as the tide went out.    Soon the fish was dried on lines in the yard [ I have photographs that show this being done in the 1900 era on the front lawn of the family homestead.]

Way back, most every meat was salted to keep for winter.  Fat was a problem and came from bear meat that made people ill.

It was years later that the first dairy cows came here, the first in America, up the river with 20 or so milking maids, sheep and milk goats,.

Once the cows and Oxen came in, people were able to farm, plow fields , uproot tree stumps, and build roads of a sorts.

However the river was the choice of going here or there, the farmers would load their rafts with their produce and head down the river to Portsmouth to sell, then go home on the tide.

The farmers became wealthy, as their produce was allways in demand.
It took a couple hundred years before some Frenchman accidental put Lobsters and other sea food together with melted butter and a lime or lemon.

I love that river Sparky, it is my heritage and my Mom stills lives on the land grant from Mass.

This was a lazy river  as there was a small island at the mouth of the river that some one decided to blow up, now this river is the 2-3 fastest navigable river in the country

Thanks vesta111, for your story. :hi5:
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2010, 06:48:28 AM »

I sure as hell would.  I could go to the store, pack you up a pound of lobster meat, freeze it, ship it overnight, charge $20, and still make money on the deal.

Although at the stores here, the "processed" lobster and crab meat goes for close to that.  If you go to the seafood stores or local markets, it's somewhat cheaper--about $22-24/lb.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford