Author Topic: Robin Gibb, Bee Gees Co-Founder, Dead at 62  (Read 5617 times)

Offline Kyle Ricky

Robin Gibb, Bee Gees Co-Founder, Dead at 62
« on: May 20, 2012, 06:37:39 PM »
Rest in peace Robin, you were a true talent and will be missed :(

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSxuvNGSrmc[/youtube]

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: Robin Gibb, Bee Gees Co-Founder, Dead at 62
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 07:21:44 PM »
Barry Gibb is the only one left.

Robin Gibb, Bee Gees Co-Founder, Dead at 62

Singer had been battling cancer

By David Browne

May 20, 2012 6:35 PM ET

Robin Gibb, one-third of the Bee Gees, died Sunday after a long battle with cancer, his spokesperson has confirmed via a statement. Gibb was 62 years old.

"The family of Robin Gibb, of the Bee Gees, announce with great sadness that Robin passed away today following his long battle with cancer and intestinal surgery," reads the statement. "The family have asked that their privacy is respected at this very difficult time."

Two years ago, Gibb battled colon and liver cancer, but despite making what he called a "spectacular recovery," a secondary tumor recently developed, complicated by a case of pneumonia in April. The singer was hospitalized last month and fell into a coma at one point, although he was later said to have regained consciousness and communicated with family members.

Gibb was born in the Isle of Man in 1949, along with twin brother Maurice. (Maurice died in 2003 of complications from a twisted intestine; eerily, Robin had surgery for the same medical issue in 2010.) Along with their older brother Barry, the brothers began harmonizing as a trio in Australia, where the family moved in 1958. Although the Bee Gees had some success in Australia – they hosted a weekly variety show there – they didn't truly arrive until they returned to England and signed with manager Robert Stigwood. Robin's quivering, vulnerable voice was featured prominently on several of the group's earliest and most Beatles-eque hits, including "New York Mining Disaster 1941," "I Started a Joke," "Massachusetts," and "I've Gotta Get a Message to You."

Although he looked and sounded like the meekest Bee Gee, Robin grew into the family rebel. By 1969, he and Barry were feuding over whose song should be singles, and Robin, then 20, was declared a "ward of the state" by their father when his drinking and partying seemed to take over his life. "It happened so fast that we lost communication between us," Gibb later recalled. "It was just madness, really."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/robin-gibb-bee-gees-co-founder-dead-at-62-20120520#ixzz1vSX1uzbx

RIP.  Reunited with Andy and Maurice.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 07:22:12 PM »
:bawl:
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 07:23:56 PM »
I posted this in general discussion already, because I wasn't sure if I could post it in news. Can someone merge them?

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 07:25:34 PM »
I posted this in general discussion already, because I wasn't sure if I could post it in news. Can someone merge them?
-1 for complaining.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 07:28:44 PM »
-1 for complaining.

I wasn't complaining. I was saying.  :-)

In anyway, another great talent is gone.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 07:30:30 PM »
Who was the one that sounded like a girl?

Don't these things come in threes?  Gloria Gaynor better watch out.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 07:33:36 PM »
Who was the one that sounded like a girl?

Don't these things come in threes?  Gloria Gaynor better watch out.

Sheesh, I try to help keep the forum clean of double posts and I get slapped.  :-)

I know what you mean, Donna Summer and now Robin Gibb. I am waiting to see who is next.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 07:34:27 PM »
No you didn't... you're still at -155.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 07:36:20 PM »
No you didn't... you're still at -155.

Drat! I was hoping you did.  :lmao:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 07:36:33 PM »
It was only a suggestion.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 07:39:52 PM »
It was only a suggestion.

Now there are two things I am sad about today.  :bawl:

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 08:12:04 PM »
Lets keep this on topic please.

I grew up listening to him and his brothers and am very sad as well as feeling old.
I know many hated the disco era but his music was so much more then those few years,songs people know without even realizing it was the Bee Gees recording or writing them.

We are losing quickly true artists,those that could stand up and actually sing without the aid of studio tricks.
Feelings and emotions put to music and delivered flawlessly live.

A part of me and my life has died with him.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 08:35:11 PM »

I grew up listening to him and his brothers and am very sad as well as feeling old.
I know many hated the disco era but his music was so much more then those few years,songs people know without even realizing it was the Bee Gees recording or writing them.

We are losing quickly true artists,those that could stand up and actually sing without the aid of studio tricks.

I loved the Bee Gees. I also think that Barry Gibb is one of the greatest song writers in music history.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 09:13:50 PM »
RIP Robin....for better or worse, the BeeGees are a good part of my memories growing up.  Matter of fact, I have a Greatest Hits CD in my car.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 11:23:12 PM »
Didn't Barry also die recently ?
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 11:25:43 PM »
Didn't Barry also die recently ?

No, that was Maurice (He died in 2003). Him and Robin were fraternal twins. Andy Gibb died in the 80's. Barry is the only one left.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 11:28:07 PM »
No, that was Maurice (He died in 2003). Him and Robin were fraternal twins. Andy Gibb died in the 80's. Barry is the only one left.
I could have sworn there was a Gibb death thread here other than this one in the last 2 to 3 weeks.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 11:35:01 PM »
I could have sworn there was a Gibb death thread here other than this one in the last 2 to 3 weeks.

I'm not sure. I haven't seen one.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 04:01:43 AM »

Robin was on death's doorstep about three weeks ago, but came out of the coma he was in.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2012, 06:11:28 AM »

I confess to loving some disco during the times.  I loved to dance and the BeeGees were one of my favorites to get moving.  Who could sit still if "Stayin' Alive" was playing? 

These losses are depressing and sad.  So much talent gone.     

Knowing how incredibly ancient this will make me sound I'll say it anyway:  I was crushed by Hendrix's death even knowing he was at fault.

Godspeed Robin ^0^