Author Topic: Can we get back to being normal please?  (Read 819 times)

Offline Servonaut

• In Memoriam
  • "Memento Mori"
Can we get back to being normal please?
« on: May 14, 2009, 03:28:22 PM »
What is exactly normal at the DUmp ?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x8406455

ScreamingMeemie  (1000+ posts)        Thu May-14-09 12:15 AM
Original message
Can we get back to being normal please?
 Please. Can we criticize our leaders? Can we find faults with policy here without being told to shut up and sit down?
Can we have our own opinions? Must we just accept it because we're supposed to blindly trust and follow? I'm sorry. In that case, I'm out. I don't want to act like a Republican. I don't want to raise Democratic leaders up as some sort of exhalted idol, and my friends that is what is going on here. I'm still all for holding feet to the fire and demanding honest answers and real action. No more. No more. No more.

NYC_SKP  (1000+ posts)         Thu May-14-09 12:20 AM
Response to Original message
1. Maybe if Bush hadn't had two terms, maybe if there had only been four years of Bush...
 people could trust our current president more and not feel:

A. that whatever he does that isn't perfect is evil (because that WAS the case for so long).

and B. that when asked to calm down and give it time, detractors wouldn't take it so personally.

That first Bush term was bad enough, the second one was really awful for our ability to maintain perspective.

nichomachus (1000+ posts)      Thu May-14-09 11:45 AM
Response to Reply #1
43. Maybe if people weren't so used to reading about freepers
 who thought that criticizing the president was the same as saying he was "perfect evil."

This is just what the OP was talking about. For so many people on DU, it's binary -- you either drool over Obama, faint when you see pictures of Michelle, sit down and shut up - OR - you think he's total evil.

There is a middle ground. It is possible to generally support someone and still find fault with some decisions he makes.

I criticize things that my husband does all the time. It doesn't mean I don't love him or that I think he's evil -- or that I want a divorce.

question everything  (1000+ posts)         Thu May-14-09 12:24 AM
2. Who says you cannot criticize our leaders?
 But when people say that electing Obama was a mistake - I think I saw it someplace - I have to wonder whether they would have preferred McCain or - shudder - Palin there right now.

I supported Hillary to the very end, but voted for Obama in November and have yet to regret my vote, I doubt that I ever will.

ScreamingMeemie  (1000+ posts)        Thu May-14-09 12:28 AM
Response to Reply #2
6. I'm sorry...I did not deliriously support any of our nominees this 
 year. Forgive me. I did not support Hillary either, and did the old "hold the nose thing..." But you cannot ask me to, and I will not ever blindly follow an elected leader. From the left or the right.

Holy Crap

dionysus  (1000+ posts)      Thu May-14-09 12:32 PM
Response to Reply #6
49. lemme guess, kooch supporter eh?

Name removed (0 posts)      Thu May-14-09 12:25 AM
3. Deleted message
 Message removed by moderator. Click here to review the message board rules.

ScreamingMeemie  (1000+ posts)        Thu May-14-09 12:26 AM
Response to Reply #3
4. Oh please...
 Yes, I am a freeper... Weren't you asking to be called one in your post too? Cracks. Me. Up.

Move along. You've missed by point. This is a Democracy.

rug  (1000+ posts)        Thu May-14-09 12:32 AM
Response to Reply #3
11. Really? You're comparing DU to free republic. Really?

Texasgal  (1000+ posts)      Thu May-14-09 12:29 AM
7. First off
 Who has asked you to "shut up and sit down?"

Who is "blindly trusting and following?"

Who said you cannot "share your opinions?"

ScreamingMeemie  (1000+ posts)        Thu May-14-09 12:30 AM
Response to Reply #7
9. Look along the front page.
 Or you can choose to be obtuse.
Hey Texasgal, it's good to see you, regardless of the fact that it looks like we'll be disagreeing for some time.

ZombieHorde  (1000+ posts)      Thu May-14-09 12:30 AM
8. Most of the posts I have seen were arguing or simply stating opinions.
 I have seen only a few "pony" posts and -go to FR with that shit- posts, though I do see one of those in this thread. 

dionysus  (1000+ posts)      Thu May-14-09 12:36 PM
Response to Reply #8
51. take it over to FR buddy

Occam Bandage  (1000+ posts)       Thu May-14-09 12:39 AM
13. Jesus ****ing Christ. Three out of four of the threads on this are either 
 Edited on Thu May-14-09 12:40 AM by Occam Bandage
attacking Obama for his position or are attacking DUers for not attacking Obama for his position. There is no shortage of healthy debate here. Yes, some people don't agree that Obama is comparable to Bush in this situation. That doesn't mean anyone is demanding anyone "blindly trust and follow." A minority of disagreement is not censorship.

ScreamingMeemie  (1000+ posts)        Thu May-14-09 12:43 AM
Response to Reply #13
15. Okay. Whatever you wish to "believe" and "trust" in.
 I'm not calling him Bush. I'm just saying I disagree with his decision and I am also commenting on the state of our country. I'm not much into hero worship, and yes it's alive and well both on television, in my neighborhood and here. Sorry our opinions differ, but at least we're in the right country and on the right board, no?

Just another day at DU, and more fun for us.  :cheersmate:

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Can we get back to being normal please?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 03:32:28 PM »
Man, talk about insulting freerepublic:

rug  (1000+ posts)        Thu May-14-09 12:32 AM
Response to Reply #3

11. Really? You're comparing DU to free republic. Really?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 03:38:35 PM »
NYC_SKP  (1000+ posts)         Thu May-14-09 12:20 AM
1. Maybe if Bush hadn't had two terms, maybe if there had only been four years of Bush...

people could trust our current president more and not feel:

A. Kerry would be president who would have been running for re-election in 2008 thus no Obama

and B. Iraq would have gone tits-up leaving yet another democrat to preside over yet another military failure ala Vietnam, Desert One and Mogadishu which probably would leave the GOP in charge of congress and the WH
fixed for the obviousness of history
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 04:04:13 PM »
ScreamingMeemie is going to get tarred and feathered..... :p
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 04:21:27 PM »
What is exactly normal at the DUmp ?
:ohnoes:

That pretty much somes it up.

:-)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 07:03:25 PM »
Quote from:
nichomachus

I criticize things that my husband does all the time.

A wife who's a full time critic *and* a moonbat.  Talk about hitting the jackpot!

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 07:27:27 PM »
Actually idiots, when your master says that Gitmo or some kind of semi-permanent detention is necessary of the terrorists there, he is REAFFIRMING what Bush already told us. What that means is it makes George Bush LESS of the ogre you made him out to be, not more, and REAFFIRMING what Bush already knew back then is no more right because your hero says it is..it was right then and it still is. You just don't want to admit that maybe Bush wasn't the evil pos you like to make him out to be and instead want to think things are 'right' because your master say they are--the same damn things, in many cases, that Bush already said at one time, but you trust your master more and are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt just because of his politics :whatever:. Bottom line is screamer is right, you are only merely giving Obama the benefit of the doubt because you are indeed involved in hero worship: no other reason. You act like a bunch of teenage girls who had their favorite rock star dissed when Barack is criticized at DU. I've seen people on music boards and the wording and immaturity are so similar that it really speaks to the maturity level of DU and the average Obama voter in general. Pathetic.

I'm sure he'll be backpeddling on the economy and the things he did to 'stimulate' it and eventually sound MORE like a centrist the further his term runs and the longer the economy tanks--he'll refuse to take the blame and it will fuel reversals at some point--mark my words--never taking responsibility, but backpeddling on the back of 'recommendations and briefs'. If he wishes to redeem his image, and like Clinton I think he has a big enough ego to care about 'legacy', he will do whatever it takes when push comes to shove to make the economy look better. I think he's going to try to use a Republican congress to blame though when things get changed some. he can then say things were reversed, amended, or blockaded by that congress so he can both keep his liberal cred, but ride on the laurels of conservative action that helps manipulate the economy for the better. Just a thought.