Author Topic: primitives disdain non-pharmaceutical means of combatting mental illness  (Read 670 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=276x9179

Oh my.

Rising Phoenix  (1000+ posts)      Tue May-12-09 06:10 PM
Original message

does anyone think holistic medicine is a responsible way to handle mental illness

I have a meeting with a doc who does accupuncture, special diet and exercise, and herbs as a way of handling my bipolar. My newest reaction to my current med is causing me to explore other options. I'm not asking for medical advice, not really, as I will be seeing a therapist as well. Just wondering if there has been anyone who has had success with this as a way to deal with their illness, either by itself or along with western medicine.

One can already suspect the reaction of the primitives, oh, no, we can't have that.

Pills are free, as the taxpayers pay for them. 

Natural means take time and effort.

Hot diggety damn; first up, Doug's ex-wife:

EFerrari  (1000+ posts)        Tue May-12-09 06:42 PM
Response to Original message

1. I have an anxiety disorder and hate pills.

So, I tried everything else. Everything. In the end, I had to find a way to take prescription meds. Took a long time to get the right ones in the right dosage but, my life changed completely.

I did find that some non-Western tools helped a great deal but in my case, anyway, they couldn't substitute.

Doug's ex-wife prefers the pills because she gets them for free, paid for by the taxpayers, and using natural means makes too much work for her.

Rising Phoenix  (1000+ posts)      Tue May-12-09 08:00 PM
Response to Reply #1

2. yes, I feel that will be my case too

I am just having the worst time finding my cocktail. I have horrible reactions to most meds, and quite frankly I am running out of meds to try. Wish me luck tomorrow when I talk to my pdoc, then fire her.

EFerrari  (1000+ posts)        Tue May-12-09 08:52 PM
Response to Reply #2

3. I had very bad reactions to most meds because I didn't want them.

Whenever I started a new one, I'd have panic attacks. Until I figured out that I was generally anxious about any pill, not just this one. The therapist didn't figure it out, I did. Wild, just wild. But knowing that helped me surf the process of settling down with something that might help keep me even.

"Panic attacks" = due to a subconscious guilty conscience about using the late red round one for her own craven stupid purposes.

Rising Phoenix  (1000+ posts)      Tue May-12-09 10:18 PM
Response to Reply #3

4. thank you very much

I can admit that panic and hysteria is def. part of my problem. I feel these pills doing "something" to my body. Something that doesn't happen naturally, that terrifies me and I hate it.....I feel out of control.

But I take them, with the exception of a few weeks here or there years ago.....I take all the pills they say will make me well.

I have lost my hair.

I have gained 100 lbs

I have lost 120 lbs

I have gained 100 lbs again

I have had several life threatening rashes.

This med that is bugging me know, I have been on for about a year and half.

However I have developed an irregular and dangerously fast heartbeat.. I have had a fever for 21 days that never goes down. I have had trouble swallowing. I have been to my pcp who did many expensive test, and found noticing. I am the one who connected my new symptoms with my med. The pdoc on call said stop taking it.....I see my doc tomorrow morning. She however didn't bother to return my calls, and had the receptionist guess as to whether it is safe for me to take the meds till I see her.

After I see her tomorrow and hopefully get some help. I will fire her, and then go to my appt with the dept of mental health. Wish me luck tonight and tomorrow, I will need it.

Good luck, but remember, advice from Doug's ex-wife is tainted by her subconscious guily conscience.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
Dude..stop takin the freakin meds if they make ya feel like shit....DUH!!!!
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
Why doesn't the DUmmie just do some research on the Internet and take a list of a few choices to her doc? There are literally tons of resources on various meds, message boards with actual users, etc. The better informed you are (and DU isn't the place for that) the better you can be in control of your own mental health.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
Why doesn't the DUmmie just do some research on the Internet and take a list of a few choices to her doc? There are literally tons of resources on various meds, message boards with actual users, etc. The better informed you are (and DU isn't the place for that) the better you can be in control of your own mental health.

Cindie
My Dear, that would require effort.... :cheersmate:

I do understand how meds for bi-polar really make ya feek like shit, the weight gain, the hair loss....
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 03:33:10 PM by Ree »
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
I have lost my hair.
I have gained 100 lbs
I have lost 120 lbs
I have gained 100 lbs again
I have had several life threatening rashes.
..I have developed an irregular and dangerously fast heartbeat.. I have had a fever for 21 days that never goes down. I have had trouble swallowing.

This DUmmy just needs some good vibes and healing white light. Works every time.

Offline claret1995

Please someone find a disease that doesn't affect everyone at the dump.

I don't think that disease exists

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
  Please someone find a disease that doesn't affect everyone at the dump.

I don't think that disease exists

As I commented yesterday (Tuesday), if one wants fresh material from the primitives, both the Mental Health and the Health forum are always getting filled up.

I swear, next to General Discussion, those two have to be the busiest forums there.
apres moi, le deluge