Author Topic: A Really Yummy Chocolate Cake  (Read 4027 times)

Offline jendf

A Really Yummy Chocolate Cake
« on: May 31, 2008, 12:54:57 PM »
This is by far one of the best chocolate cake recipes I've found. The frosting is fantastic.

Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake

2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. sugar
3 T baking cocoa
2 t. baking soda
1 c. water
1 c. mayonnaise
1 t. vanilla extract

Brown Sugar Frosting

1/4 c. butter or margarine
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
2 T. milk
1 3/4 c. sifted confectioners' sugar

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, and baking soda. Add water, mayo and vanilla and beat at medium speed until throughly combined. Pour into a greased 9" square or 11" x 7" x 2" baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool completely.

For frosting, melt butter in saucepan. Stir in brown sugar, cook, and stir until bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in milk. Gradually add confectioners' sugar. Beat by hand until frosting is of spreading consistency. Immediately frost cake.

Yield: 9-12 servings

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Re: A Really Yummy Chocolate Cake
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 01:23:54 PM »
I'm sure it is tasty, but you lost me at mayonnaise.  It doesn't sound right.

Offline jendf

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 01:36:34 PM »

There is something about the mayo that makes the cake really fluffy. Oh, bijou, it's so good. It doesn't taste like a ham sandwich or anything, I promise.  :-)

Offline Flame

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 03:22:30 PM »

Bet the mayo just replaces the oil and egg that are usually in a regualr cake.  Never tried the mayo,  but I hear it isn't bad.

Offline LaceDustBoots

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 06:13:21 AM »
I had refused to use a cake recipe that called for mayo.  On a cake flour box, there was a carrot cake recipe that called for mayo.  I made it and it is the best cake I ever made.  Now I search out cake recipes that use mayo.

I will be making this cake this week.  I make cakes every week for my paycheck earner because he likes dessert.  For chocolate cake, I use the Hershey's recipe.  Now I have something new to try.

Thanks jendf!

Offline jendf

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 09:15:29 AM »
I had refused to use a cake recipe that called for mayo.  On a cake flour box, there was a carrot cake recipe that called for mayo.  I made it and it is the best cake I ever made.  Now I search out cake recipes that use mayo.

I will be making this cake this week.  I make cakes every week for my paycheck earner because he likes dessert.  For chocolate cake, I use the Hershey's recipe.  Now I have something new to try.

Thanks jendf!

You're welcome! Let me know how your "paycheck earner" likes it.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 12:52:29 AM »
Can you use Miracle Whip instead of Mayo?

:fuelfire:

Offline LaceDustBoots

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 02:11:09 AM »

Thanks jendf!

I made it yesterday and it is good.  The frosting tastes and almost has the texture of See's Candy's "bordeaux" filled chocolates, which are one of my favorites.  I almost hid it so I could have it all to myself.  Of course the cake was very moist.

He came in late last night all stressed after having to change his flat tire and asked "Did you make dessert, I need to calm down", LOL.  He had a big piece and said, "Ahhhhh, this is good".  He had another piece tonight which confirms he does like it.  Recipe is a keeper.  I didn't make it last week because he was having tummy aches and wasn't eating much.

I was thinking of just making the frosting and rolling it in balls and covering with chocolate, little truffles.  It is a fantastic flavor.  

Offline jendf

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 04:29:38 PM »

Thanks jendf!

I made it yesterday and it is good.  The frosting tastes and almost has the texture of See's Candy's "bordeaux" filled chocolates, which are one of my favorites.  I almost hid it so I could have it all to myself.  Of course the cake was very moist.

He came in late last night all stressed after having to change his flat tire and asked "Did you make dessert, I need to calm down", LOL.  He had a big piece and said, "Ahhhhh, this is good".  He had another piece tonight which confirms he does like it.  Recipe is a keeper.  I didn't make it last week because he was having tummy aches and wasn't eating much.

I was thinking of just making the frosting and rolling it in balls and covering with chocolate, little truffles.  It is a fantastic flavor.  

I'm glad to hear this!

Offline Flame

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 06:27:23 PM »
Made this for a picnic today....was absolutely YUMMY!  The frosting was perfect with it!!