Author Topic: What to do with a gazillion banana peppers?  (Read 2736 times)

Offline soleil

What to do with a gazillion banana peppers?
« on: August 08, 2010, 05:00:22 PM »
We grew tomatoes, jalapenos, and banana peppers this year. Well I have found plenty to do with my tomatoes. The jalapenos didn't grow all that well, so nothing to figure out there. We got one really good batch, and I made some salsa with both the kinds of peppers. The banana peppers, however, are kicking butt. I don't even like them. My husband has been putting them on his salads, pizzas, etc. But now I just have so many, and I don't know what to do with them.

Do any of y'all have experience with pickling them? If not, what would you do with a buttload of banana peppers?

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Re: What to do with a gazillion banana peppers?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 05:52:09 PM »
Happened to me last year, and there isn't a whole lot to do with them, except remembering not to plant as many next year.   :-)

I like em, and put them in everything, if they are available.....but if you find you cannot eat as many as you harvest, you can freeze them whole or chopped to use in things throughout the year.  Matter of fact, I am using some of last year's crop, chopped in some fresh corn tonight.

My most favorite way to cook them though, is to split them down the middle, stuff em with creamcheese, wrap in bacon, and broil.

Oh heavens....
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline soleil

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 05:57:46 PM »
Happened to me last year, and there isn't a whole lot to do with them, except remembering not to plant as many next year.   :-)

I like em, and put them in everything, if they are available.....but if you find you cannot eat as many as you harvest, you can freeze them whole or chopped to use in things throughout the year.  Matter of fact, I am using some of last year's crop, chopped in some fresh corn tonight.

My most favorite way to cook them though, is to split them down the middle, stuff em with creamcheese, wrap in bacon, and broil.

Oh heavens....

Yes!! I need to do that. We did do that with our jalapenos, but it never occurred to me to use banana peppers for that!! Awesome! We can stuff them with all kinds of things. Thanks for that idea. Why that didn't cross my mind is beyond me. And yes, I will freeze some. Good idea there too. Thanks!!!

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 06:08:14 PM »
If you have a food dehydrator, you could chop them and dry them, then throw them into all kinds of recipes...without needing to keep them frozen.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 06:51:57 PM »
Stuffed and fried (or baked).  I can't remember the last time I ate one and forgot what they taste like, but I love jalapeno poppers (the hotter the better). 

If you're frying cheese, make sure it's frozen first.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 07:22:50 PM »
Just use em as you would a jalepeno, for your weaker friends.   :-)

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 09:02:51 PM »

Oh heavens....

My mouth instantly watered when I got to "wrap in bacon".

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 10:16:38 AM »

Oh heavens....

I do something similar with jalapenos. Only I stuff them with pepper jack cheese and put them on the grill.

Might be able to do the same with banana peppers.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 10:24:34 AM »
Chilli jam is a good way to use up peppers and it makes a great gift as many people don't want to go to the trouble of making it.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 10:33:15 AM »
I do something similar with jalapenos. Only I stuff them with pepper jack cheese and put them on the grill.

Might be able to do the same with banana peppers.

You can.  You would want to grill them a little less, because their skin is thinner than a jalepeno.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 11:54:07 AM »
I tried fixing them the same way one does when they cook green peppers that have been charred.

Blacken them up under the broiler, remove and place in a paper bag until cool.

When cool scrape off the charred skin, remove the seeds and reserve them.

Freeze the peppers for use later.  The seeds I also freeze and add to spaghetti sauces and chili, meat loaf etc.

I do this with all peppers, bell of all colors and the hot stuff.

Offline cavegal

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 12:01:40 PM »
Did not know they even existed... but how about wrap in bacon and deep fry? Seriously now make a salsa with them..  :innocent:

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 08:12:23 PM »

Oh heavens....

That sounds really good!