Author Topic: Reporting a bug to MS  (Read 3652 times)

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
Reporting a bug to MS
« on: July 09, 2008, 01:18:40 PM »
Hi

I installed the latest security update to XP this morning and then couldn't connect to the Internets so I uninstalled the latest security update from MS for XP and I could get to the Internets and I thought this is something that should be reported to MS but their support pages are really confusing, just like nearly everyone's support pages are confusing, so does anyone know how to reports this, or maybe a blog that tracts such things?

“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Reporting a bug to MS
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 01:22:47 PM »
Hi

I installed the latest security update to XP this morning and then couldn't connect to the Internets so I uninstalled the latest security update from MS for XP and I could get to the Internets and I thought this is something that should be reported to MS but their support pages are really confusing, just like nearly everyone's support pages are confusing, so does anyone know how to reports this, or maybe a blog that tracts such things?

Don't know about the latest security update, but my company's IT manager has advised not to install  Service Pack 3 for XP, as it will cause some computers to fail to boot.....

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 01:26:18 PM »
Thanks, I have heard the warnings concerning SP3 so I have avoided that.  It just seems like they would want to know as fast as possible if people install the automatic update and then can't connect to the Internets 'cause people who don't think to simply uninstall it may freak out.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 12:21:02 AM »
Okay I finally found out what the deal is

Microsoft DNS patch KB951748 incompatible with Zonealarm

― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 12:34:42 AM »
Hi

You, of course, will be eliminated.

No one can see the MS-TrvthTM.  Make peace with your MCP.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 02:49:43 PM »
Well you have to admit a simple truth. If it won't connect to the internet, it is secure.  :hyper:

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 11:50:22 AM »
Well you have to admit a simple truth. If it won't connect to the internet, it is secure.  :hyper:

:rotf:

I actually thought of that.  The unfortunate thing is  I had a meeting I needed the Internets for and while I sorted it out ten minutes after the start of the meeting, it was too late and got pushed back two weeks.

ZA came out with a new update in the last couple of days, I haven't installed it yet but maybe that takes care of the problem.
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 12:00:14 PM »
Okay I finally found out what the deal is

Microsoft DNS patch KB951748 incompatible with Zonealarm

I had this same problem.  Took me three days to get through to Comcast.  :(