Author Topic: questions about ISP numbers  (Read 3747 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
questions about ISP numbers
« on: April 21, 2008, 07:59:43 AM »
Someone had a question--not yet answered--about how it is possible for someone known to be at the time in a certain state out west, but his ISP betrayed a New York City number.

I suspect I know why, but am not 100% confident.

But before getting into that, the first question is do ISP numbers, or portions of those numbers, change over time for one reason or another?

I am not 100% sure, but it seems to me as if my own ISP number changes one or two digits over some period of time, say a week or a couple of weeks, even though I'm on exactly the same computer at exactly the same place; if this perception is actually reality, I assume it's because my own ISP diddled around and changed some things, nothing more.

I do know that ISP numbers--the real ones, not the "proxy" ones--do not necessarily give an indication of where one is.  Nebraska is cluttered with all sorts and sizes of mom-and-pop small town telephone companies (usually the same people providing cable television and the internet), and these small places tend to share "resources."

I'll never forget when Fat Che thought he had found franksolich, because my then-ISP number originated from a certain small town.  The only deal was, that certain small town was more than 60 miles away from where I really lived at the time.

Currently, I use a different ISP--because of its wireless, as compared with land-line only, service--and show up as being in a big city; but the deal is, this ISP serves all of northeastern Nebraska, which is a pretty large area, with multitudes and hordes of small towns.

Which leads to the second question, are "proxy" ISP numbers of any value, or are they something easily discerned?  I ask this in particular because Fat Che has oftentimes boasted about using them, and when Fat Che alleges to use something, it probably isn't any good.

Depending upon Fat Che's judgement about the worth of something, computerwise, is like relying upon the opinion of the nerd in high school, about which chick puts out the most, and with the least time and trouble.

Fat Che has a fetish about ISP numbers, obviously; the guy collects them, although one wonders why.  Perhaps he cuts them out with scissors and pastes them in an album or something, sort like what stamp-collectors do.

Which leads to the third question, can one create a "proxy" ISP number whose address ends in "..../gov"?

When I had that one web-site, ISP numbers didn't mean excresence to me, and besides, all I was interested in was cutting the fat girl in Canada off at the pass, so she couldn't excrete on the site.  But at that web-site, I did notice about a third of the "visitors" there had ".../gov"; various agencies.

Would those have all been legitimate "..../gov" addresses, or not necessarily so?

Which leads to the fourth question, can computer experts set something up that disguises one's real ISP number at one site, but shows the real number at all other sites?

I ask this because when I bought this particular computer, the technician asked me if I needed anything else added, before I took it home.  I said yeah, it would be a good idea if one particular web-site didn't know my real ISP number; I didn't care about any other places knowing my real ISP number, but I just didn't want to deal with paranoiacs at this one particular place.

The technician asked me which web-site, and I zeroed in on it, a bonfire where Doug's ex-wife was boasting about how she had become physically sexually mature at the age of 10 years, the big upper shelf and all that stuff.  The technician said yes, he found this site utterly disgusting, and he could fix it up for me, where those inhabiting the web-site wouldn't know my honest ISP number.

I left the new computer overnight, while he did this, and some other things.

I'm not sure if he really did this, though (he wasn't in when I returned to pick up the computer).

It appears he did, because franksolich's mole at this one particular place continues to flourish and prosper, despite all of the fancy handy-dandy "mole detection" programs purchased for their computer expert, but then and again, it could be one of two other things.

franksolich's mole has never caused the owners of this one particular place any distress, discombobulating its inhabitants; this is because franksolich rarely posts.  The purpose of this mole is not to play around out in the open, but rather to gain and maintain the confidence of certain inhabitants of this one particular place via personal messages.

This is all behind-the-scenes stuff, and so surely can't bother the owner of this particular place.

But on the other hand, maybe the computer technician didn't fix it up, so that my real ISP number is disguised at this one particular place, and maybe the owner actually knows who I am, but as I don't cause any trouble, and as there are certain sentimental ties of an academic nature, he just lets me be.

For reasons inarticulable, I sense that "proxy" ISP numbers aren't anywhere as great as Fat Che so absurdly seems to think they are.  Am I right, or wrong?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
Re: questions about ISP numbers
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 06:07:48 PM »
But before getting into that, the first question is do ISP numbers, or portions of those numbers, change over time for one reason or another?

They can and frequently do.

Much simplified version is , Each time you connect to the 'net, the modem / router that connects is "leased" an IP address from a pool of IP addresses that the ISP "owns". IP leases can be permanent or be for a limited time, so unless you've paid the ISP for a permanent lease on that IP you will be assigned one from the pool each time you connect, and occasionally when your lease is renewed.

Which leads to the second question, are "proxy" ISP numbers of any value, or are they something easily discerned?  I ask this in particular because Fat Che has oftentimes boasted about using them, and when Fat Che alleges to use something, it probably isn't any good.

If someone is using a proxy server to connect to a server it can be fairly easily detected and prevented.

Which leads to the third question, can one create a "proxy" ISP number whose address ends in "..../gov"?

No. At least not easily. If the reverse lookup of a IP address yields a host name in a domain ending with the .gov suffix that machine (or at the least the IP address) is indeed connected to a govt domain.

Which leads to the fourth question, can computer experts set something up that disguises one's real ISP number at one site, but shows the real number at all other sites?

Yes. I suppose if you sat down and created a bunch of permanent routing rules specific to a single destination, it could be done that way. I'd not bother setting up anything permanent, and would just use a web based proxy whenever I needed to visit that destination.

For reasons inarticulable, I sense that "proxy" ISP numbers aren't anywhere as great as Fat Che so absurdly seems to think they are.  Am I right, or wrong?

Well, you can use a proxy server to hide your real IP address, Webmasters can easily detect that you are doing this and ban that IP. It's easier for the webmaster to ban an IP address than it is for the disruptor to find a working proxy server, so they're really nothing special.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 06:17:23 PM »
The only reason why I use the total pain in the arse AOL is because they do not allow anyone to see my IP address.  If the site bans the AOL IP address, they ban everyone who uses AOL.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 06:22:46 PM »
You can also use an "anonymizer" which will mask your real IP address and supply a new one that appears to be valid.

I find them to be a pain in the ass to set up and use, but lots of people use them as a matter of course.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 06:30:58 PM »
You can also use an "anonymizer" which will mask your real IP address and supply a new one that appears to be valid.

Most of them are just proxy servers.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 07:06:56 PM »

Most of them are just proxy servers.

True.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Baruch Menachem

• In a handbasket, heading to a warm destination
  • do the best you can with what you can
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 12:54:15 PM »
Among other weirdnesses that che engages in, he posts a small image in all his posts so he can see who is reading his stuff.  According to him, it is 1px by 1px, but it generates an IP address every time someone quotes or reads his posts.

What you might do to blow his mind is put that image in all your sig lines.  He will see a sudden upsurge in traffic which will make him feel very validated, until he see where the traffic is coming from.
An optimist sees the glass as half full, a pessimist sees the glass as half empty, an engineer sees that there is twice the glass required to contain the beer

My name is Obamandias, King of Kings, 
  Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!