Author Topic: hunting season  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
hunting season
« on: October 23, 2011, 11:32:50 AM »
Texas Tech 31, Oklahoma 17, end of third quarter.
This is surely going to screw up my own enjoyment of the season, what with Wisconsin losing to Michigan State, Nebraska barely winning over Minnesota, and a possibility Oklahoma might lose this game.

The worst part of it is the Joke State fans will be struttin' around like a banty rooster for the next month at least. Stoops' teams never play with a chip on their shoulder anymore. Oh well, bring on hunting season...
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
hunting season
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 03:54:18 PM »
The worst part of it is the Joke State fans will be struttin' around like a banty rooster for the next month at least. Stoops' teams never play with a chip on their shoulder anymore. Oh well, bring on hunting season...

The hunting season's coming; at least the main one here in Nebraska, on Saturday.

There's always consolation.

I felt badly about Oklahoma and Wisconsin losing yesterday, and today Nebraska dropped two places in the polls.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
hunting season
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 05:43:37 PM »
The hunting season's coming; at least the main one here in Nebraska, on Saturday.

There's always consolation.

I felt badly about Oklahoma and Wisconsin losing yesterday, and today Nebraska dropped two places in the polls.

Northern Zone deer season started yesterday in New York.  I'd been waiting for it for a while.  It was damned good to get back into the woods with my grandfather's .30 WCF in my hands, even though I didn't see a deer.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
hunting season
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 05:55:29 PM »
Northern Zone deer season started yesterday.  I'd been waiting for it for a while.  It was damned good to get back into the woods with my grandfather's .30 WCF in my hands.

Pheasant season starts here next Saturday; that's bound to bring a lot of hunters to this door.

Deer season is for one week in mid-November.....although that's not strictly true, but I can't understand the small print.  I guess I'll say deer season is BIG for one week in mid-November.

According to the hunting guide on this table:

Deer - Archery September 15-December 31
Deer - Mule Deer September 15-December 31
Deer - Antlerless October 1-October 10
Deer - Firearm November 12-November 20
Deer - Firearm November 12-November 22 (that's what it says)
Deer - Muzzleloader December 1-December 31
Deer - Season Choice September 15-January 18
Deer - Youth September 15-January 18
Deer - Landowner September 15-January 18
Deer - DeSoto Muzzleloader October 1-October 2, October 15-October 16, December 10-December 11, January 7-January 8
Deer - Boyer Chute October 22-October 23, November 5-November 6, December 17-December 18

It seems to me one has to be an attorney/wildlife biologist to hunt deer in Nebraska.

But generally, around here, when one says "deer season," one means that one week of hunting via firearm (but muzzleloaders aren't firearms?)

I dunno.

You should see the "seasons" for Antelope, Bighorn Sheep, and Elk here.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Rugnuts

• (not a carpet layer)
  • (ಠ ›ಠ)
Re: hunting season
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 10:10:53 AM »
first good frost this morning. i went out this morning and sat in my stand to see what was going on out there. saw two doe come up behind me.  hopefully the rut picks up just in time for whitetail firearms season nov 5th - 13th. i live in a shotgun (slug only) zone.
otherwise i'd like to see some snow on the ground by the time the muzzleloader season opens, nov 26 - dec 11. i love fresh snow, cold morning deer hunting.
in my area huge trophies are rare, but a guy who hunts where i hunt has a trail cam pic of a rack of a lifetime, @16-17 points, drop tines on each side. if i shot something like that i'd retire form whitetail and take up something else.

Offline Erasmus

• Holla ifju thank im seeeeexy!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 10:48:15 AM »
I took a doe and a turkey with my bow on archery season opening day.  The venison jerkey is just about gone, too.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 07:38:11 PM »
i live in a shotgun (slug only) zone.

Is there any particular reason for a shotgun-only zone?

You know, I've grown up around deer hunters all my life (Nebraska, Pennsylvania), but there's a whole lot of whys-and-wherefores I don't get.  My older brothers and college classmates and roommates and cousins and neighbors and co-workers all hunted, or hunt, deer.  And where I live, there's always hunters, many of whom stop here at this house.

So I've grown up around plenty of "hunt talk," probably encyclopedias of it, but I never, really, hear it, and being a nice guy, I'm not rude enough to interrupt, asking that something be explained to me when people are doing "shop talk," because being deaf, explaining something to me takes some, uh, time and effort.

The other week, GOBUCKS here used the term "strapback" or "backstrap" or whatever, probably a word that's been uttered hundreds of times in my presence, but I never heard it (and so had to nadin it).

I can get the notion of archery hunting as compared with firearm hunting--I have the impression it demands more skill, being much more difficult, and since the take's lower, the season's longer--but when using firearms, what difference does it make if one's using a rifle or a shotgun when hunting deer?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 08:17:04 AM »
Is there any particular reason for a shotgun-only zone?

You know, I've grown up around deer hunters all my life (Nebraska, Pennsylvania), but there's a whole lot of whys-and-wherefores I don't get.  My older brothers and college classmates and roommates and cousins and neighbors and co-workers all hunted, or hunt, deer.  And where I live, there's always hunters, many of whom stop here at this house.

So I've grown up around plenty of "hunt talk," probably encyclopedias of it, but I never, really, hear it, and being a nice guy, I'm not rude enough to interrupt, asking that something be explained to me when people are doing "shop talk," because being deaf, explaining something to me takes some, uh, time and effort.

The other week, GOBUCKS here used the term "strapback" or "backstrap" or whatever, probably a word that's been uttered hundreds of times in my presence, but I never heard it (and so had to nadin it).

I can get the notion of archery hunting as compared with firearm hunting--I have the impression it demands more skill, being much more difficult, and since the take's lower, the season's longer--but when using firearms, what difference does it make if one's using a rifle or a shotgun when hunting deer?

Bullet travel is "exponentially longer with rifled ammunition rather than slugs", according to some. It's a collateral damage concern, although, some believe that saboted slugs travel equidistantly to centerfire rifles.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 08:20:40 AM by Odin's Hand »
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Rugnuts

• (not a carpet layer)
  • (ಠ ›ಠ)
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 11:34:11 AM »
the southern half of MN is slug only because of population desity and terrain. its mostly flat land with open fields, but more "heavily" populated. a rifle that can reach over a mile if held high is said to be too dangerous. So we get to use shotgun slugs which drop fast after 200 yds.
2 more rules that will confuse you Franksolich. we can also use a muzzleloader WITH a scope during the Slug season. But during the muzzleloader season we cant use a scope. A crossbow is considered a FIREARM and only allowed in the firearm season, UNLESS you can prove a disabilty to the DNR, then they can give you a permit to shoot a crossbow during Bow season. You can also get a handicap permit from the DNR to shoot out of your vehicle.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 11:48:24 AM »
the southern half of MN is slug only because of population desity and terrain. its mostly flat land with open fields, but more "heavily" populated. a rifle that can reach over a mile if held high is said to be too dangerous. So we get to use shotgun slugs which drop fast after 200 yds.

Okay, I see where that would be a concern.

In Nebraska, it's illegal to shoot off a firearm (when hunting) less than 200 yards of an inhabited dwelling, which I guess is why the cats have always been safe, never mistaken for wildlife, as that appears to be about the most they wander away from here.

I have to trust people with firearms, and that trust has never been violated in my whole life.

2 more rules that will confuse you Franksolich. we can also use a muzzleloader WITH a scope during the Slug season. But during the muzzleloader season we cant use a scope.

This "muzzleloader" thing is entirely new to me.  It's probably been on the books for years and decades, but I never paid attention to it.  Every September, the county sheriff brings out to me a bunch of books about Nebraska hunting laws with the year's updates, and man, it's a lot of reading.

I suppose he assumes, like many people do, that detailed reading is an adequate compensation for not hearing, but that's not, really, true.

A crossbow is considered a FIREARM and only allowed in the firearm season, UNLESS you can prove a disabilty to the DNR, then they can give you a permit to shoot a crossbow during Bow season. You can also get a handicap permit from the DNR to shoot out of your vehicle.

I dunno if a crossbow's considered a firearm in Nebraska, but there's special rules about it.

The "handicap permit" for shooting from one's motor vehicle is available in Nebraska too, but I've never in my life seen anyone shooting from the road, from inside a car or truck.

It seems to me that if one's so disabled one has to do that, one's just going to say "screw it," and not bother hunting at all.

The guy who tried to teach me how to use a pistol (and we later mutually decided I'm more of a 1-3/8" S/K adjustable wrench wielder, than a shooter)--he's a big gun dealer in the big city, probably the biggest one in northeastern Nebraska--is horribly disfigured by crippling arthritis and--get this--"legally" blind, but he goes out every autumn with everybody else, doing things the same ways they do.  He fishes too.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline longview

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 10:19:22 AM »
I like seeing people come out of the mountains with their elk this time of year.  I stopped a young fella as he was leaving the Dairy Queen this week because I could see elk antlers over the top of the bed of his truck.  Pretty normal to do that.  He got out and told me where he got it, how he stalked it, how he had to take this smaller 4 x 4 because he couldn't get a clean shot at a 6-point.  A rite of fall.

In my home area in the southeast part of the state a local had an interesting hunt a few years ago.  She is an older woman, a widow of a few years.  She'd seen people come into town with their elk in the back of their trucks and they would stop at the cafe to show it off.  Everyone comes out to see and hear the story.  Well, she decides it's time she tries for one.  Borrows a rifle from a neighbor who takes her out to shoot a few rounds.  Got permission from a rancher near town to hunt a ridge at the south end of his hay field where some bachelor bulls hang out.  Buys her license at the convenience store.  Drove her mid-sized car as close to the ridge as possible and starts walking up into the timber. 

In short time she sees 3 bull elk.  She got a nice clean shot and drops one.  Now what?  She field dressed it as well as able, walked back to her car, drove to find the rancher and his hired man to ask for help.  They went back and helped her dress it better and load it into their truck.  They let her take the ranch truck into town and they followed her in her car to the cafe, and then to her garage to help skin and hang it.

Darn if she hadn't harvested a 6 x 7 bull.  She said he wasn't the best eating.  But if you're only going to try once, what a treat!