Author Topic: Monday....again. =(  (Read 2317 times)

Offline Flame

Monday....again. =(
« on: February 04, 2008, 08:26:26 AM »
Good grief, I'm tired today.

Yesterday was lots longer than I anticpated.  Trip into DC...had planned on just my daughter and I in our vehicle, but ended up with 2 other girls and another mom.  Oiy.   Auditions seemed to go pretty well...lasted a little longer than I thought it would.  Then we all went to dinner (10 girls, 7 moms).  That took another 2 hours.   We didn't get home until after 11:00.   Now we wait for a letter in the mail.

Today is shaping up to be a lazy day.  We have tons of leftovers in the fridge, so I'm going to skip making dinner, and let everyone eat something from the fridge instead.

TOTD:  If you could pick any type of tree to plant in your yard, what would it be, and why?

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Monday....again. =(
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 08:39:55 AM »
Good luck to you and your daughter. 

Nothing remarkable going on in my life today.  It's very warm and too humid here.   The high today is suppose to be a seasonally ridiculous 85.  Ugh.

TOTD:  A weeping willow tree.  I think they are beautiful.  Also, they mature very fast.  Their only fault is they are not long living.  They last about 20-25 years.  On the plus side, I may outlive it. 

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 08:48:10 AM »
At least I got the weekend off this time around.

TOTD: Another fruit tree.  I've already planted a black cherry and 3-in-1 apple tree, as well as some flowering pear trees.  If nothing else, makes for an easy dessert during the summer months.

Oh yeah--also got blueberry and raspberry bushes.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 08:50:23 AM »
Good luck to your daughter!

TOTD: A palm tree cause it reminds me of home, but it would shrivel up and die in the midwest I expect. I should try to cultivate some smaller palms in the house to help ease my homesickness.

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 09:34:23 AM »
Nothing really going on today. Have to meet with the owner of another dealership this afternoon, and then come home and get some shit done around here. Other than that, nada. Maybe clear some more snow off the driveway and back patio, and make some "snow mountains" my dog can romp and play in.

TOTD: I dunno... I like the evergreens lining my driveway for the fact they protect against the wind and I don't have to rake the front yard in the fall, so maybe it'd be another one of them. I wouldn't go with a weeping willow because those things are thirsty as hell, and if they can't get water from the ground, they will go (via the roots) into your pipes, and I got basement problems with the trees in my backyard anyway.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 09:42:01 AM »

TOTD: I dunno... I like the evergreens lining my driveway for the fact they protect against the wind and I don't have to rake the front yard in the fall, so maybe it'd be another one of them. I wouldn't go with a weeping willow because those things are thirsty as hell, and if they can't get water from the ground, they will go (via the roots) into your pipes, and I got basement problems with the trees in my backyard anyway.

I live in Texas.  I don't have a basement and my sewer line is PVC.  No root problems with PVC pipe.  :)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 09:50:32 AM »
Just cleaning up after Schade today. :p  Actually my house was clean when she got here but because we were going out to lunch and shopping everyday I wasn't home to pick up after my kids who are slobs.  So now my house is a mess.  I'm also doing laundry because the only laundry I did while she was here was a load of jeans.

TOTD: Japanese Maple

I also love Dogwoods but we tried to plant one under a large tree in our back yard and it didn't do well at all.  We do have two different varieties of Japanese maples in our yard but some how I don't think they will end up looking like either of these.

Isn't this amazing....

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 09:51:37 AM »
The Monday after the Super Bowl needs to be a holiday.  :yawn:

TOTD: I'd love a Japanese Maple

Damn, BEG. You beat me to it again! You posted while I was posting this! Get outta my head, please.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 09:52:35 AM »

I live in Texas.  I don't have a basement and my sewer line is PVC.  No root problems with PVC pipe.  :)

We planted a weeping willow in our backyard in the house we had before this one.  It died from lack of water and we dumped additional water (besides the sprinkler system) on that freaking tree all the time.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 09:53:49 AM »
The Monday after the Super Bowl needs to be a holiday.  :yawn:

TOTD: I'd love a Japanese Maple

Damn, BEG. You beat me to it again! You posted while I was posting this! Get outta my head, please.

I will never get out of your head....you are stuck with me.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 09:57:50 AM »

We planted a weeping willow in our backyard in the house we had before this one.  It died from lack of water and we dumped additional water (besides the sprinkler system) on that freaking tree all the time.
That's why you should plant it next to the creek.  No fuss-no muss. 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 10:02:51 AM »
I also have a busy week ahead of me.  School, another 3 hours of job training, etc.

If I am able to, I will be driving back to Atlanta this weekend to gather some more items I need (vacuum cleaner, planet chair... some nicer clothes(black dress pants) for my job and for the GTG ;)

TOTD:  I am also a fan of the Japanese Maple.  My stepdad planted one in our backyard a few years ago. 

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 10:47:28 AM »
Busy week on schedule for me.  Have a BIG customer demo and meeting tomorrow, we're doing two dry runs today.  Then on Wednesday, off to White Sands for more meetings.  That will close out the week.

TOTD:
I'm putting in some pomegranate bushes this Spring.  Pomegranate bushes grow like weeds here, and the fruit is god awful expensive in the stores.  The birds LOVE pomegranates, and they are very good for both birds and people.

Also going to put in a Meyer Lemon tree this spring.

Does anybody want grapefruit?  I have about a ton of it.

Love grapefruit. if I was still in Phoenix, I'd be coming over to get some!

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 10:52:48 AM »
I take whatever tree, or trees, happen to be in the front yard.

One adapts, one accepts, and one moves on.

In this particular instance, currently, the place is surrounded by walnut trees.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 10:52:51 AM »
Class today and I might go to the golf course, hit a bucket or two and work around the greens.

TOTD: A big, ol' Magnolia.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2008, 11:14:56 AM »
More rain today.  Severe thunderstorms in the forecast for tomorrow.

TOTD:  Live Oak, (Quercus virginiana).  Unfortunately I live too far north for them to survive here.   :bawl:  I'm also partial to the Colorodo Blue Spruce, (Picea abies) and pink dogwood, (Cornus florida rubra).
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.