Author Topic: rum cake  (Read 10378 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
rum cake
« on: February 16, 2014, 04:46:34 PM »
This recipe claims to be a "clone" of the Grand Cayman Tortuga Rum cake.  The closest thing I could find was Bacardi Gold... I'll let you know in a day or two when mine is ready.

Basic Mix
2 cups cake flour.  I couldn't find Pillsbury and used Swan's Down instead.
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder (check the date, use fresh powder)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup or one stick of unsalted butter (do not use margarine)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil

Mix in a large bowl at medium speed until mix is well blended, yet still chunky.  Set aside, and don't put it in the refrigerator.

Batter
1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
1/2 cup milk
4 eggs
1/2 cup Tortuga Gold Rum
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup of chopped walnuts

Stir the batter until smooth.  Add the basic mix to your batter and mix on medium speed with an electric mixer for two to three minutes.  Make certain your batter is smooth and lump free.

While your batter is mixing, preheat the oven to 325º, grease your pan with melted butter or use butter-flavor cooking spray.  Evenly spread 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts into the bottom of the pan, add the batter/basic mix, and bake for 55 minutes or until done.

While the cake is baking, make the glaze for the cake.

Glaze
1/2 cup unsalted butter (do not use margarine)
1/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup Tortuga Gold Rum

Combine butter, water and sugar in a small saucepan.

Slowly bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Don't let it boil over!

Reduce the heat, simmer until sugar dissolves to create a syrup. Slowly but steady. If the glaze seems a bit watery, now is the time to turn the heat back up, but be careful, and keep stirring, then turn it down and it should thicken up.  Remove from heat, slowly add rum, and stir well. Do not try to bring the mix back to a boil once you have already added the rum.

While the cake is cooling, pour some of the glaze evenly over the cake. Take your time, pour a little at a time and allow it to soak in.  Allow the cake to completely cool before carefully turning it over onto a cake plate or serving platter.
Instructables

I've never made rum cake before... I don't know if this is a standard recipe or not, but those little cakes they sell at the distillery are rum-flavored magic.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

Re: rum cake
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 09:30:53 PM »
That's a new one.

Don't put it in the refrigerator.  All the butter and sugar solidified after I put it in the refrigerator last night.  Not good.  I'll leave the cake out on the counter and probably make another batch of rum glaze tomorrow and see how that goes.  The Tortuga rum cake is very spongy and almost wet... this one came out more like regular cake with a little bit of rum around the edges.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 09:46:44 PM »
Wait- you mean it's rum...

... and it's cake?

My God, man, that's brilliant!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 09:57:47 PM »

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 04:32:45 AM »
A friend's late grandmother used to make run cake for Thanksgiving and Christmas. One of the last years she was alive (she lived to be 102) she accidently added the rum twice, it was really moist and tasted like booze. It was damn good!!!!!!!!