Author Topic: so.. this is what i think..  (Read 2282 times)

Offline Lauri

so.. this is what i think..
« on: January 16, 2008, 09:05:28 PM »
my husband was just reading me a blog .. and i dont want to rip anyone off, so i'll give this guy the credit, but i thought it was a great thought and so.. wanted to share it.

the writer's strike has happened at a most fortunate time for our country. they may have caused their own demise... follow me here.

people are tuning in to the debates and caucuses in droves.. they are finding out that the running of the govt is at the least, as dramatic and interesting as day time tv, or game shows or nighttime dramas. they are really interested and it affects them in a really tangent way and they are kind of hooked.

i have noticed myself talking more about politics now with friends and family .. and sometimes we disagree, but we still stay friends. thats new for us ... but people are really plugged in lately and i think the more we get into this campaign season this year .. more people will be drawn in.

my husband is not American, but he was fascinated by the 2000 election with Gore and how it all happened. it was great to be an adult and watch him. he was so interested and he learned SO much about this country.

both of us have.. so.. i guess in a way, Hollyweird might have shot itself in both feet by giving us nothing but this presidential election and its real, and dramatic and damn interesting.

now.. how will they ever top real, unscripted... life  :popcorn:

Offline Schadenfreude

Re: so.. this is what i think..
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 09:20:43 PM »
I actually watch the debates to point and laugh at the candidates.  :lmao:

In all seriousness, it's their record that speaks for itself, not the way they present themselves on stage in a debate. Sometimes I think too much importance is placed on entertainment and being entertained.  :-)
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Lauri

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 09:22:15 PM »
I actually watch the debates to point and laugh at the candidates.  :lmao:

In all seriousness, it's their record that speaks for itself, not the way they present themselves on stage in a debate. Sometimes I think too much importance is placed on entertainment and being entertained.  :-)

i think this is why Fred isnt polling well  :lmao:

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 09:48:27 PM »

I don't watch network TV, so I don't think it is really effecting me.  but your theory sounds valid.

but what is freaking me the hell out is that you are posting in the lounge. :-)

Offline Lauri

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 09:59:30 PM »

I don't watch network TV, so I don't think it is really effecting me.  but your theory sounds valid.

i feel really chatty over here... i think the most pleasant personalities wound up at CC and i dont feel intimidated here ..

yet ..  :beer:

as for my opinion? its valid... i'm wondering how it all pans out..

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 10:53:06 PM »

i feel really chatty over here... i think the most pleasant personalities wound up at CC and i dont feel intimidated here ..

All the analyses I have seen pretty much are along these lines.  The writers seem to somehow think they have some leverage.  But unscripted/reality series can keep the networks afloat almost forever.

If the next season of "Heroes" or "Lost" don't happen, people will sort of shrug and mutter, but that is about it.  I mean, we have 300+ channels from all over the place.  People will discover "Modern Marvels" "Mythbusters" BBC America, all kinds of stuff.

This isn't like the ill-fated grocery strike -- which screwed its members but at least had public sympathy.  This could be the death knell of the Writers Guild itself.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 11:07:58 PM »

All the analyses I have seen pretty much are along these lines.  The writers seem to somehow think they have some leverage.  But unscripted/reality series can keep the networks afloat almost forever.

If the next season of "Heroes" or "Lost" don't happen, people will sort of shrug and mutter, but that is about it.  I mean, we have 300+ channels from all over the place.  People will discover "Modern Marvels" "Mythbusters" BBC America, all kinds of stuff.

This isn't like the ill-fated grocery strike -- which screwed its members but at least had public sympathy.  This could be the death knell of the Writers Guild itself.

yeah, back when i was younger, i would get mildly irritated if a show i liked got taken off the air.

i was BIG time into '24' for about three seasons... now i just dont care one way or the other. i dont watch many series anymore cause the writing either starts to suck or they pull it.

"Saving Grace" is about the only real show we watch anymore.. but its on TNT so I almost expect it to fail..

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 07:12:12 AM »
I have found so many new and MUCH better things to watch with the strike going on.

Dexter
Extras
Ken Burns The War
Psyche
Eureka
South Park reruns

In fact I have found that I only really miss a couple of the shows I used to never miss.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 07:27:25 AM »
I have found so many new and MUCH better things to watch with the strike going on.
Ken Burns The War

That's a great documentary. My wife and I watched it in it's entirety when it first aired. Some people don't like Ken Burns because apparently he donates to LibTard causes but he makes great documentaries. He also did:
History of Jazz
History of Baseball
Civil War
Jack Johnson first Black Heavyweight Champ.

All of his stuff I've seen so far has been great.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 07:58:02 AM »
I've been pretty much watching documentaries on the History channels and the various Discovery channels for so long that, to be honest about it, I can't even tell that there is a writer's strike.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 05:35:45 PM »
I've been pretty much watching documentaries on the History channels and the various Discovery channels for so long that, to be honest about it, I can't even tell that there is a writer's strike.

Ditto, the best thing for TV would be to make the strike permanent.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.