Author Topic: Google: Bing Is Cheating, Copying Our Search Results  (Read 3114 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Google: Bing Is Cheating, Copying Our Search Results
« on: February 01, 2011, 01:44:42 PM »
Google: Bing Is Cheating, Copying Our Search Results

Google has run a sting operation that it says proves Bing has been watching what people search for on Google, the sites they select from Google’s results, then uses that information to improve Bing’s own search listings. Bing doesn’t deny this.

As a result of the apparent monitoring, Bing’s relevancy is potentially improving (or getting worse) on the back of Google’s own work. Google likens it to the digital equivalent of Bing leaning over during an exam and copying off of Google’s test.

Bing doesn’t deny Google’s claim. Indeed, the statement that Stefan Weitz, director of Microsoft’s Bing search engine, emailed me yesterday as I worked on this article seems to confirm the allegation:

Around late May of last year, Google told me it began noticing that Bing seemed to be doing exceptionally well at returning the same sites that Google would list, when someone would enter unusual misspellings.
Search Engine Land

Looks like someone got caught with their hand in the cookie jar. :thatsright:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: Google: Bing Is Cheating, Copying Our Search Results
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 01:59:09 PM »
:ohnoes:
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 02:00:43 PM »
I think bing sucks eggs. Never gets me close to what I want and refuse to use it.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 02:03:35 PM »
I think bing sucks eggs. Never gets me close to what I want and refuse to use it.

That was my experience with it, too. 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 02:06:05 PM »
That was my experience with it, too. 

It is the only defaultable search engine on my crackberry so I take the extra step of loading google from history for every search so I don't have to use bing.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 02:53:49 PM »
Bing is a Microsoft Product. Is there any doubt that Bill Gates wouldn't steal somebody else's data to make his own data work better?!!?!?!? I thought that was a founding principle of Microsoft!!
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline JLO

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 11:41:01 PM »
Bing is a Microsoft Product. Is there any doubt that Bill Gates wouldn't steal somebody else's data to make his own data work better?!!?!?!? I thought that was a founding principle of Microsoft!!

:lol:

:cheersmate:
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--