Author Topic: Meat Eaters.  (Read 31355 times)

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
  • I love someone with Autism
Meat Eaters.
« on: December 17, 2015, 10:54:21 AM »
I have a new hobby.  Dry aging beef.  I cannot believe the difference it makes in taste and texture.

It all happened last year.  I was having a Football Party with some close friends.  4 guys and their wives.  I wanted to do something a bit special for the Party, so I went to Whole Foods, to check out some meat, for the Grille.  I saw some Certified Angus Rib Eye Steaks.  They looked way different, but curiosity mandated that I talk to the Butcher.
He schooled me on the dry age process, and assured me that I would literally fall in love with Dry Aged Beef.  SO, I asked for 8 inch and a half thick steaks.  When I went to pay, the bill was over 200 bucks!!! 
The Butcher told me that these steaks would cook much faster, so he recommended that I cut 25% off the normal grilling time.   I use an instant read thermometer, so I know when meat is done.
Salt, and Pepper, and on the grille.  3 minutes on each side, and they were perfectly medium rare.  Suffice it to say, I have never in my life had such a delicious steak.  My friends agreed.  So, I began to investigate Dry Aging at home.  Many people said it was next to impossible to dry age at home.  Others, said you had to have a dedicated frost free fridge.  Then, I found the key to this.
It is called DryBagSteak. 
I have no tie to the company, except that I use their products.  What it is, is a water permeable plastic, that allows moisture to escape, while preventing anything else to get in. 
The concept is pretty simple.  Dry aging dehydrates the meat, causing a concentration of beef flavor.  In addition, the enzymes work in the meat to tenderize it.  So, in effect, you improve the meat,  without risking contamination.   I have done 6 whole Rib Loins, and a Top Sirloin Butt.   My boss, mother, wife and a few friends all say they cannot enjoy store bought wet aged beef, anymore.  We all Dry Age.
The process is not complicated, but requires a vacuum sealer.  You cut the end of the "cryobag" open, and drain it out.   Stand it up on the still sealed end, slide the Dry Bag over the cryobag, and then pull out the cryobag.  Position it so the sealer can remove the majority of the air.  Keep in mind, this does not need to seal like a freezer vacuum bag.  All you need is 75% adherence of the bag to the meat.  Set a wire rack on a cookie sheet, and place the bagged meat on top.  Put it in the fridge, on the bottom, fat side up, and keep the temperature between 34 and 38 degrees. 
Now, you wait.  You really cannot get the best results in less than 28 days, but some folks age for 21.  Many prefer up to 60 days, as the longer you age it, the more earthy the flavor becomes.  Some liken it to a mushroom kinda taste, but longer agers say it is cheese like.  I prefer 30 days on my rib eyes or NY Strips, and 35-38 days on my Sirloins.  I get no flavor change, just better texture and richer beef flavor.
The results are amazing.  I buy a whole Rib Loin Primal at Sam's Club for 8-9 bucks a pound.  30 days later, I have 16-18 1 pound steaks that sell at Whole Foods, for 25.99 a pound. 
You may think this is too much to go through for Great Beef.  But, any of us who really love to grill top notch steaks, will be forever Aging our Beef.
War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over. -- Gen William T. Sherman

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Meat Eaters.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 11:06:18 AM »
I found them on YouTube the other week after doing some of my own research.  I would love to try it.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 11:22:33 AM »
Be advised Chris, once you experience this, it is tough to be satisfied by any other steaks.  If I can help, let me know.  I have gained a bit of expertise with this.
The bags are quite pricey.  If you try this, pay strict attention to the Sealing process.  I can help with that, too.  I had a couple of stumbles, early on, which proved extremely educational.
Good Luck, my friend.
War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over. -- Gen William T. Sherman

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 11:50:05 AM »
I was going to order some and give a few away as Christmas presents.  I hope I can get them delivered by next week.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 12:11:38 PM »
I was going to order some and give a few away as Christmas presents.  I hope I can get them delivered by next week.
They are real fast, Chris.  I usually get mine in 3 or 4 days.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 12:36:00 PM »
I remember when Bush was in office, I could get bone-in rib roasts for under $4 a pound.  Those days are long gone.  There are a few local butchers that may be cheaper than going to the grocery store... I'll have to look around.

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 01:05:10 PM »
Sam's Club and Costco both sell whole BONELESS Angus Rib Loins.  Usually, 8-9 bucks a pound.  14-22 pounds each.
I recommend using boneless, at least the first couple of attempts.  Sealing the Dry Bags can be somewhat difficult, with the bones attached.  It can be done, by folding a piece of parchment paper a few times, and placing it over the bones, before sealing the bag.
Once you get used to it, there are many other things, you can do.  You can make Salami, Pastrami, and sausages of all kinds.  I have a 16 pound Top Sirloin aging right now.  4 bucks a pound.  When it is finished, it will have the tenderness of a New York Strip, and the flavor of Sirloin, times two.   
I hear you can do briskets, too.  That would make for some fine hickory smoked BBQ.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 01:15:12 PM »
I like using pecan wood, but it's not easy to find.  It's very tasty.

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 01:20:27 PM »
I like using pecan wood, but it's not easy to find.  It's very tasty.
Not for me, as my dear sweet 80 year old mother has a tree, in her front yard.
For beef, I like Hickory, but you must be careful.  The smoke is strong, but has much the same flavor as pecan, just not as mellow.
I use hickory and/or oak for beef, and fruit woods like peach, apple or cherry for pork and/or chicken.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 09:56:20 PM »
I bought the "sampler" pack.  It comes with three each small, medium, and large bags.

I don't have the space in my refrigerator to do anything more than a small cut.  I may take those and play with them.

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 08:58:20 AM »
I bought the "sampler" pack.  It comes with three each small, medium, and large bags.

I don't have the space in my refrigerator to do anything more than a small cut.  I may take those and play with them.
The Short loin (large) bags will do whatever size primal you wish.  Try to use as large a cut as you can fit in the fridge.  Trimmings will reduce your yield on smaller cuts.  NY Strip loins are much smaller than Rib Loins and less expensive, but produce great results.    Top Sirloin butts are cheaper still, but the Top Sirloin has three muscles, two of which have grain in the same direction, and the other is different.  When it is aged, you cannot see the grain, and cutting can be difficult.  My next Sirloin, I will mark the outside of the bag with lines that will help me find the veins of fat that separate the muscles. 
Practice on the "practice pieces".  Once you see how they work, it'll be easier to get a good bond on an expensive cut.

What kind of sealer do you plan to use?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 08:48:38 PM »
What kind of sealer do you plan to use?
I've got one of those FoodSavers.  Had it for a while.

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 09:59:49 AM »
I've got one of those FoodSavers.  Had it for a while.
That is what I use.  Channel type sealer.  The Vac Mouse is needed to get a good seal. 
Good Luck, Chris.  I hope you do well.  If I can help, let me know.

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 10:52:31 AM »
I am well-known anong people who know me as a carnivore. A friend gave me a $25 gift certificate to Smallville's best butcher shop. I'm torn between Wagyu beef or buffalo KC strip steaks, and I think I'll try dry aging.

Thanks!
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 12:50:58 PM »
I am well-known anong people who know me as a carnivore. A friend gave me a $25 gift certificate to Smallville's best butcher shop. I'm torn between Wagyu beef or buffalo KC strip steaks, and I think I'll try dry aging.

Thanks!
Well, BigDog, Wagyu is extremely good beef.  The Holy Grail of us Carnivores.  Pricey, but my buddies who cook Competition BBQ will only cook Wagyu.
Do not try to age individual steaks.  Individual steaks get a "skin" on them, just like the primals.  Once you trim that, it doesn't leave much.
Also, less than 21 days is not worth the trouble, so try to age at least 28 days. 
If I can help, just whistle.

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 12:54:28 PM »
Well, BigDog, Wagyu is extremely good beef.  The Holy Grail of us Carnivores.  Pricey, but my buddies who cook Competition BBQ will only cook Wagyu.
Do not try to age individual steaks.  Individual steaks get a "skin" on them, just like the primals.  Once you trim that, it doesn't leave much.
Also, less than 21 days is not worth the trouble, so try to age at least 28 days. 
If I can help, just whistle.

I had a local Wagyu rancher on my ray-de-oh show a couple of months ago. He set up a grill and grilled some sirloin and KC strips. Oooooooh, they were nice!

Thanks for the advice.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 01:43:13 PM »
I had a local Wagyu rancher on my ray-de-oh show a couple of months ago. He set up a grill and grilled some sirloin and KC strips. Oooooooh, they were nice!

Thanks for the advice.
Entirely my pleasure. 
As an aside, Both my parents were DJs.  Mom worked at an AM All Girl Station, that played Easy Listening.  My Stepdad was a consummate professional, and program director.  He preferred Country and Western, but he could work under any format.

Back to beef.  Top Sirloin is a great choice for a first try.  Not as expensive, and quite tasty.  Once aged, it is said to be as tender as a NY Strip.  On January 8, I will harvest my 35 day Top.   I have done a half dozen Rib Loins, and a couple of Strip Loins, aka NY Strip.  I have never had a "chunk o cow" go bad.
I cannot eat non aged steaks, anymore.  I am spoiled. 

Again, if I can assist in any way, don't hesitate.

Offline Karin

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 03:15:48 PM »
I haven't seen tiny in so long!  Our resident expert in anything high-end culinary. 

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2016, 10:43:37 AM »
I haven't seen tiny in so long!  Our resident expert in anything high-end culinary.
Oh, Karin, I am lurking most days, but have been having so much fun watching the Dems and Pubbies running around with their hair on fire, I haven't posted much.
My latest adventure, is Gourmet Low Carb. 
See, I am not sure why people call me Tiny.  I picked up that moniker when I was a bodyguard.  I was working a Ted Nugent tour, and was partnered with another large Tree Trunk.  Maybe I seemed tiny compared to him.  He was 6'10" and weighed 345.   I was only 6'2" and 280.
Anywho, I have lost over 100 lbs on low carb fare.  But, you get quite bored with Meat and broccoli.  So, I decided that my skills dictated that I come up with some alternatives.
My dear sweet 80+ year old mother called me in January, and informed me that she was having a Super Bowl party for her girlfriends from church, and asked if I would attend.  I was excited, first because I never saw my mother show any interest in football, and second, to enjoy what I thought would be a "pot luck" with several experienced cooks providing exquisite dishes.  Then came the bombshell.
"I need you to cook dinner."
Great.  I asked what they wanted to eat.  She told me that she wanted me to cook something low carb and delicious.  I asked her, "In a perfect world, what would please your taste?"
She replied, "I long for some BBQ ribs, some BBQ baked beans, and cole slaw.  I also would like to try to make low carb margaritas."
Now, For those who do not know, Ribs , beans and slaw are seldom fantasized as low carb.  So, I needed a rub.

8 parts Splenda
3 parts Anco chili powder
1 part smoked Mexican paprika
1 Part combined equal portions garlic powder, onion powder, cumin,
1 part salt and black pepper

She bought whole spare ribs, 2 racks.  I was gonna trim them to a St Louis cut, but she nixed that.  So, I just took off the membrane, slathered them in dijon, rubbed 'em down, wrapped 'em in cling wrap, and stuck 'em in the fridge.  So far, the whole project was about 5 grams of carbs.   Made a delicious low carb slaw, with cabbage, onion, carrots, and a chipotle aioli, with a bit of sherry vinegar.   
The next day, I fired up the smoker, and trimmed the "flaps" off the ribs.  These, I saved for the beans.  Put the ribs on the smoker at 225 degrees, for four hours.  Took them out and wrapped them with butter and Splenda, and put them back on to finish.  I found a low carb BBQ sauce with zero carbs, by Walden Farms.  I should have made my own, but I was not willing to work that hard.  When they were just about done, I coated them liberally with the sauce, and put them back in to "set" the sauce.
While the ribs were smoking, I proceeded to concoct my BBQ beans.  Since legumes are rich in carbs, I needed a low carb alternative.  I found black soy beans, which are very low carb.  3 bucks a can.  Couldn't find them dry.   Anyway, I sauteed some onion, garlic, and bacon, in the bacon fat, added the rib flaps cut into thin strips, and 4 cans of soybeans, added 1/2 cup of the rib rub, and some vegetable stock.  Let them simmer two hours.  That is how long it took to get them soft.
Put them in a casserole dish and set them in the smoker for about an hour.
It would have done your heart good to see these elderly straight laced women with BBQ sauce on the cheeks, uttering only endearments of deliciousness.  They looked like little kids, with silver hair.  Mom made an Orange low carb pound cake, and we made homemade low carb vanilla ice cream, with Almond milk, egg, Splenda Heavy cream, and a couple of vanilla beans.  Simmered and chilled, then into the machine, and 45 minutes later, "Voila", 2 gram per serving Ice Cream.   I was amazed how good it all was.  My Mom's friends had no idea they just ate low carb.
My Mom went nuts for the beans.  She made two attempts at recreating them, before she asked for my help.  I showed her once more, and now she can make them.
Anyway, my wall of text is complete.  BTW, I felt honored that you wonder about my whereabouts.  Thanks.  Boosted my morale this AM.

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2016, 01:34:11 PM »
Anyway, my wall of text is complete.  BTW, I felt honored that you wonder about my whereabouts.  Thanks.  Boosted my morale this AM.

Tiny,

I also eat low-carb, and lost a decent amount of weight. I am 6' and currently weigh 270; with about 20 lb gained since January 1, when I decided to take a carb break. I'll go back to low-carb after my son's wedding in 3 weeks.

Thanks for the great recipe ideas. I'll try the black soybeans, for sure.

I don't usually cook with Splenda. Does the taste change when you smoke or cook with it?

Speaking of smoked foods, I  smoked a corned beef on my pellet pooper for St. Patrick's Day. Basted with red ale, 225 degrees for 6 hours, finishing at 400 for an hour. Mighty good! I am going to smoke a lager-marinated chuck roast tomorrow.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2016, 02:22:13 PM »
Tiny,

I also eat low-carb, and lost a decent amount of weight. I am 6' and currently weigh 270; with about 20 lb gained since January 1, when I decided to take a carb break. I'll go back to low-carb after my son's wedding in 3 weeks.

Thanks for the great recipe ideas. I'll try the black soybeans, for sure.

I don't usually cook with Splenda. Does the taste change when you smoke or cook with it?

Speaking of smoked foods, I  smoked a corned beef on my pellet pooper for St. Patrick's Day. Basted with red ale, 225 degrees for 6 hours, finishing at 400 for an hour. Mighty good! I am going to smoke a lager-marinated chuck roast tomorrow.
Hey, great job on the weight loss, Big Dog. 
Splenda doesn't caramelize as well as sugar, but the taste is really comparable.   Considering our limited choices, it is a great substitute.  Splenda has a granular version that works pretty good.
Truvia is another one, but I prefer Splenda.  I taste a bit of bitterness in Truvia.
Those Soybeans are awesome.  Opens the door for Chili Con Carne, Burritos, etc.  I have successfully refried them.
Hope you enjoy them.

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2016, 02:28:40 PM »
Hey, great job on the weight loss, Big Dog. 
Splenda doesn't caramelize as well as sugar, but the taste is really comparable.   Considering our limited choices, it is a great substitute.  Splenda has a granular version that works pretty good.
Truvia is another one, but I prefer Splenda.  I taste a bit of bitterness in Truvia.
Those Soybeans are awesome.  Opens the door for Chili Con Carne, Burritos, etc.  I have successfully refried them.
Hope you enjoy them.

Thanks. I'll drop the 20 I gained this winter, and 20 more after that. Then I'll reward myself with a trip to the gun store!

I use Stevia when I want a little sweetness and the unique stevia flavor. I will sweeten hot tea or chai with it, or make low-carb blackberry "pudding" (heavy cream, crushed blackberries, and stevia)
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2016, 02:54:46 PM »
Thanks. I'll drop the 20 I gained this winter, and 20 more after that. Then I'll reward myself with a trip to the gun store!

I use Stevia when I want a little sweetness and the unique stevia flavor. I will sweeten hot tea or chai with it, or make low-carb blackberry "pudding" (heavy cream, crushed blackberries, and stevia)
I wanted to tell you about a great product we use to replace flour.  Carbalose Flour.  It has 48 grams of carbs per cup, but 42 of that is fibre.  That leaves 6 grams of net carbs per cup.  Use this whenever you need to bread something or for thickening gravy.  They make another product with it called Carbquik.  Resembles Bisquik.  Has leavening in it to make it rise.  I use Carbquik to make pancakes, waffles and yes, even Red Lobster style Cheddar Biscuits.  Now, they aren't as firm as Flour made products, but make a great alternative, and open up even more doors to possibilities.  In fact, I make drop biscuits, and crumble them, back in the oven to make low carb bread crumbs.  That allows me to make meatloaf, and meatballs, etc.
I get mine at Netrition.com.  3 lb box for about 14 bucks, I think.  Carbalose is a bit cheaper.   You'll like Netrition.  Tons of low carb products, and as reasonable as one can expect.  Shipping is reasonable, too.

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2016, 03:05:55 PM »
I wanted to tell you about a great product we use to replace flour.  Carbalose Flour.  It has 48 grams of carbs per cup, but 42 of that is fibre.  That leaves 6 grams of net carbs per cup.  Use this whenever you need to bread something or for thickening gravy.  They make another product with it called Carbquik.  Resembles Bisquik.  Has leavening in it to make it rise.  I use Carbquik to make pancakes, waffles and yes, even Red Lobster style Cheddar Biscuits.  Now, they aren't as firm as Flour made products, but make a great alternative, and open up even more doors to possibilities.  In fact, I make drop biscuits, and crumble them, back in the oven to make low carb bread crumbs.  That allows me to make meatloaf, and meatballs, etc.
I get mine at Netrition.com.  3 lb box for about 14 bucks, I think.  Carbalose is a bit cheaper.   You'll like Netrition.  Tons of low carb products, and as reasonable as one can expect.  Shipping is reasonable, too.

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

I just ordered a box of Carbquik. I think I'll try making a batter for fried fish.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2016, 08:12:12 AM »
Thanks, I really appreciate it.

I just ordered a box of Carbquik. I think I'll try making a batter for fried fish.
It works really good for that.
On the box are various recipes.  AND, inside the box, printed on the cardboard, are more recipes.  Hey, it ain't the end all to our bread cravings, but it does help.  With all that said, I reduce my heat just a tad, (a very small amount) and cook a bit longer.  Just seems to work a little better. 
If I can help in any way, don't hesitate to PM me or post and I'll try to respond.
Good Luck.