Author Topic: ‘Imagine America Without Los Angeles’: Expert Warns Southern California Isn’t Re  (Read 942 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
‘Imagine America Without Los Angeles’: Expert Warns Southern California Isn’t Ready For Major Quake
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/12/11/imagine-america-without-los-angeles-expert-warns-southern-california-isnt-ready-for-major-quake/

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — A leading earthquake expert has issued a dire warning to Californians about the expected impact of a major disruption to the San Andreas fault line.

The title of Dr. Lucy Jones’ lecture this week to the American Geophysical Union in San Francisco was titled “Imagine America without Los Angeles.”

As KCAL9′s Dave Bryan reports, Jones, a Science Advisor for Risk Reduction at the U.S. Geological Survey, says when the “Big One” hits Southern California, the damage could be much greater, and could last much longer, than most of us ever imagined.

If there is a huge earthquake, Los Angeles will be flattened.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
If the Left Coast, LA and SF included, dropped off into the Pacific, I'd break out the champagne....or beer'n'bacon
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
If the Left Coast, LA and SF included, dropped off into the Pacific, I'd break out the champagne....or beer'n'bacon

Yeah, I wouldn't shed too many tears for the shitsticks that voluntarily live there -- after all, they've made a choice knowing that it's just a question of time before The Big One hits.

At the same time, kids, and the infirm, and those who really DON'T have a choice -- I'll be chipping in to help them.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Well, it'd kill a lot more poor hard-working bastards and their families with them than Libtards and Hollyweird limousine liberals, and tank the economy while breaking the bank of the Federal budget for years, since everyone in DC would sense that they were on camera about the whole thing from the git-go and immediately have an attack of 'building their legacy.'  But all the Libtards, gangstas, and celeb morons it did kill would certainly help.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
*doesn't see a bad side to this*
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Dori

This is mean.  There are a lot of CC'ers that live in Calif.

I don't root for the east coast to get destroyed because of their politics.

I'm third generation Californian and I'm not giving up my roots because my state's politics changed.

Half the counties in CA went for Romney.  We have the same problem other blue states have.  A large number of lefties living in the larger cities.  In fact, our district boundaries are ridiculous.  Even Arnold complained about them, saying they looked like that were drawn by an etch a sketch in order to guarantee a Democratic majority in those districts.

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Wayne

Depends where and when you lived in CA. I was born and raised there .I spent 60 years there and when I left in 2005 I was happy to leave.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Dori, I live in the North State, born and raised. As far as I'm concerned from Fresno south CAN drop off into the ocean. This state is held hostage by the idiots in the L.A. basin. Look at county maps during elections. WE (Red Counties) are NOT represented.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant

Dori, the reason we don't worry about the 'Cavers who live behind the enemy lines in the People's Republik of Kalifunny is that 95% of 'em are ready to do whatever is necessary to improvise, adapt and overcome whatever disaster comes their way. The biggest reason we root for California to fall off the continental shelf, is because of the awesome "No shit, this happened to me", stories we'd hear on the other side of it, when the 'Cavers reconnected.

:cheersmate:

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired

I don't root for the east coast to get destroyed because of their politics.

I'm third generation Californian and I'm not giving up my roots because my state's politics changed.

Half the counties in CA went for Romney.  We have the same problem other blue states have.  A large number of lefties living in the larger cities.  In fact, our district boundaries are ridiculous.  Even Arnold complained about them, saying they looked like that were drawn by an etch a sketch in order to guarantee a Democratic majority in those districts.

Life's a bitch and then you die.

If you like your roots, you can keep your roots. Just watch that first step after you clear the rubble off your front porch. You just might wind up dipping a toe into the Pacific.  :-)

Offline Dori

You just might wind up dipping a toe into the Pacific.  :-)

I already do  :-)

Maybe I'll float out on my own island. 
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
I already do  :-)

Maybe I'll float out on my own island. 

That's a grand idea. Just don't take any moonbats on board.

Offline Dori

That's a grand idea. Just don't take any moonbats on board.

I'm pretty lucky. Immediate neighbors are capitalist Christians and anti-moonbats too.

Just reading on Drudge how the Yellowstone super volcano is over due and will probably take the whole country with it. 

If the San Andreas fault goes, it's going to trigger a lot of faults to go with it, not just California.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 12:26:54 PM by Dori »

Offline Purple Sage

I attended the "beach front" blowout in Yuma on the day that Nostredamus supposedly predicted CA would fall off into the ocean.  Good times.   :rotf:
I've known some pathological liars in my time, but 0 takes the prize.