Author Topic: ADL: Some opponents of Ground Zero mosque are bigots, but we should let them win  (Read 499 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
ADL: Some opponents of Ground Zero mosque are bigots, but we should let them win anyway
Washington Post

As you have probably heard, the Anti-Defamation League came out against the Ground Zero mosque today. I wanted to highlight this extraordinary bit from their statement:

Proponents of the Islamic Center may have every right to build at this site, and may even have chosen the site to send a positive message about Islam. The bigotry some have expressed in attacking them is unfair, and wrong. But ultimately this is not a question of rights, but a question of what is right. In our judgment, building an Islamic Center in the shadow of the World Trade Center will cause some victims more pain --unnecessarily -- and that is not right.

That's just amazing. This is basically a concession that some of the opposition to the mosque is grounded in bigotry, and that those arguing that the mosque builders harbor ill intent are misguided. Yet ADL is opposing the construction of the mosque anyway, on the grounds that it will cause 9/11 victims unnecessary "pain."

Washington Post-ADL: Some opponents of Ground Zero mosque are bigots, but we should let them win anyway

==================================================================================

Even the ADL is against building the mosque at what used to be the World Trade Center. Of course there are morons at the Washington Post leaving their garbage. Stoopid is REALLY STRONG there. My Stupidometer broke ten times over and I need get a bunch of new ones.

Have there even been a lot of victims' families in the opposition crowd? I've mostly seen a lot of people not from NYC there. Just about everyone I know from NYC doesn't care that the mosque is being built there, and it would be disturbing if out of towners decided something on behalf of New Yorkers here.

Posted by: dkp01 | July 30, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse
Hello? 9/11 victims were not just New Yorkers. They were from all over America.

also, this shows how transparently hypocritical rightwing republicans are when they call for local control. the locals approved it, but because they don't like it, rightwingers feel like they can tell the locals what to do.

hmm.

Posted by: blahgblogwordpresscom | July 30, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse
How is local control a political thing? A lot of leftist advocate it too in the form of buying food locally.

Greg, not to nitpick, but please stop referring to this Islamic Center as a "mosque." Those are not mutually interchangeable terms. It is a community center with a prayer room. A mosque is a church, the center is not that.

Posted by: suekzoo1 | July 30, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse
A place with a prayer rug is still a religious place, in this case with Islam.

base.

They are scapegoating Hispanics, Muslims, Blacks, Even Europeans in General; Gays and Progressive Women.

I have seen what those tactics morphed into, in 1933, in another nation; where a party dedicated to their own rigid racial and doctrinal purity, took over that nation; and then set the world ablaze:

What Ever Happened To:

"Never Again". The seeds of hatred are being sown, on a daily basis, by Right Wingers In America; Right Here And Now.

""THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up."

Posted by: Liam-still | July 30, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse
Leftist scapegoat people too. Look at Nazis Germany, Soviet Union, Khmer Rouge, and Taliban Afghanistan.

I don't think the Republicans should be allowed to open a campaign headquarters in my neighborhood. I know they have rights under the First Amendment and everything, but this isn't about rights, it is about what is right. Having a reminder of the Bush/Cheney Administration so close by causes me and my family too much pain.

Posted by: bearclaw1 | July 30, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse
BOO-HOO!!!! CRYBABY!!!!!!!!

The "Ground Zero Mosque" story is a complete distraction and shouldn't even be a story. Why? Well, as others have noted, it would not be a mosque. Second, it's not even on ground zero. It's near ground zero. So, the proper reference would be, "The NYC Islamic Community Center That Happens to Be Near Ground Zero."

So, why would any reasonable-minded person be bothered by this, again? You could ask the same question if it were really a mosque, and if it were really on ground zero, and maybe get the same answer from a reasonable person, but the basic facts make the entire faux-"story" really silly!

Posted by: dpclark | July 30, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse
You sir are a MORON!  :bird:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 08:57:13 PM by Ptarmigan »
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
  I heard this on FOX this AM.

A Greek orthodox church was also destroyed when one of the buildings collapsed on top of it.

For over 10 years this Christian church that owns the land it was built on have been fighting to get approval to rebuild their church.

Correct me if I am wrong here but I believe that the Port Authority refuses to allow the rebuilding.

So who is the in charge of that Authority, why and who is stopping the rebuilding of a Christian Church closer to the site then OTHERS

So odd, how will this War play out, I am not so sure it is a War of faith, I at times believe this is an excuse to take over our Laws, our way of life.

Take the Cursades, was this just a war of Christians against the Muslim  faith  or a War with the excuse of religion to sack and despoil the wealth and lands of others ?? 

Damn, so who owners the New York Port Authority.??